Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,184,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You want it to snow?
There are weather forums where 90% of the members are of the same mindset as RockLobster. Since I plow snow, (but believe me, it's long since lost its charm), I pay attention to what's being said there because they'll be discussing and analyzing model output about potential snowstorms days before any of the media or the NWS begins to discuss it in their forecasts.

Being what most people would consider "normal", it's kinda hard to get used to the discussions there. When they say, "It's looking really good for us for the weekend storm", what it really means is that it's looking really bad.

Quote:
And who doesn't want a white Christmas?
You can have what's on your lawn right now. And whatever comes tomorrow. But that's it. I don't want to have to go out to plow snow this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:08 PM

570 posts, read 1,406,561 times
Hi Ditch,
Glad you have your head in the clouds as well. You know what, just maybe that Pacific moisture will stay south and the only additional snow we get for the holiday will be able to be measured by a tooth pick...just maybe.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:33 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,184,165 times
Quote:
Glad you have your head in the clouds as well.
Oh, yeah. I'm out in it all the time, unless of course, it's bad enough that it cancels work, so I have to pay attention to it. And I love a good thunderstorm, if I can watch it from my front porch. The bad part about winter though, is that the worse it gets, the more I'm required to be out in it. That gets old fast...

Quote:
You know what, just maybe that Pacific moisture will stay south and the only additional snow we get for the holiday will be able to be measured by a tooth pick...just maybe.
It seems that the best place to be, is in the bullseye, 5 or 6 days out. Because it always ends up someplace else. South sounds good. Who am I to deny Virginia and D.C. a white Christmas?

Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,826,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
And who doesn't want a white Christmas?
Me. I hate snow.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 AM

Perhaps a good sign for snow lovers.. Cold air in place and a storm center moving towards Pittsburgh with a fair amount of moisture. NWS out with possible 6 inch plus Tuesday through Wed total. Recall last year when 'modest' 6 inch snows turned into better than a 20 inch dumping.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Default Snowfall Tuesday 6:30

2.7 inches Sewickley Heights thus far from this system. Despite the smallish snow, roads were mostly untreated locally up until around 5:00. Can actually see the moon coming through the light snow. Seems the steady snow is moving east quickly.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:39 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
2.7 inches Sewickley Heights thus far from this system. Despite the smallish snow, roads were mostly untreated locally up until around 5:00. Can actually see the moon coming through the light snow. Seems the steady snow is moving east quickly.
I'm glad I don't live in your neck of the woods. I deliver for a living, and I found most of the roads I was on to be passable/slushy. O'Hara Township and Fox Chapel Borough crews were especially on top of things. Pittsburgh City? Meh. I've seen better. I'd say we had a grand total of around 3 inches in Polish Hill.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 PM

Finally got to 3 inches in Sewickley with just flurries now and now the roads have been treated at 10:45 at night.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,099,328 times
A little more than 3 I'd say here in the city of Pittsburgh.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 AM

Picked up another 3 inches overnight so that rounds out 6 inches for the storm-event thus far. Starting to look like winter ! Sewickley Heights. btw.. was asked how I measure... I take four measurements in non drifting areas.. average those four numbers out. Becoming harder with increasing winds though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh