Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,016 times

Advertisements

It looks like the further west you are, the more snow you got. Moon is reporting 7", Bridgeville 5", Braddock 4"... Warnings for Allegheny, Pennsylvania : Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 AM

570 posts, read 1,411,373 times
Almost like an alpine winter. My house on Perry Hill Top picked up almost 2.75 inches of very dry powdery snow overnight. Sewickley Heights more like 1 inch. Seems to be a general Pittsburgh area 5-8 inches on the ground as of Thursday morning.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 AM

Always interesting how diverse our local weather can be. In sewickley on this Tuesday morning.. Sunshine, mild temps and overall quite pleasant for this time of year despite a winter weather advisory for much of the area and ice issues north and east of the city. A little overnight ice has melted and the sun shine is out ! A quick respite as cold soon returns.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:08 PM

Default Major Ice Storm On The Way

Even though I'm no longer in the bizz of predicting weather, I do continue to follow the 'sit' as I am forever a weathergeek! A bit of early caution for western pa as man is no match for ice. And ice man cometh.

A perfect set up for a prolonged period of freezing rain looks to be the rule especially for Pittsburgh's northern burbs. Big moisture filled storm moving right up the Ohio Valley should spread lot's of precipitation over our area Monday night and again Tuesday afternoon into Wednesday. A two stage type of storm if you will. Unfortunately for snow lovers it appears along with all the moisture moving northward out of the southeast will also be a large wedge of warmer air several thousand feet above the ground, thus liquifying the precipitation. With cold air around the ground level we can expect a lot of rain freezing on surfaces. Eventually mild enough air should reach the ground to give us some plain ol rain on Wednesday especially Pittsburgh and south before temps plunge back into the teens late week.
If the track of the storm would stay far enough south of the area and Pittsburgh stayed cold enough, this storm has the moisture capable of producing a widespread one to two foot snow. But I know better. Ice and rain will be the pain.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Ahh such an early taste of spring. But the high wind gust's get the nod for the day. 54 mph gust at 1:05 on my folks weather station in Sewickley Hghts

Old 02-18-2011, 02:32 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,537 times
As is my habit, I clicked on the latest post button, and read the last post in line, then read the next one above it. Since there is some cold and precip in the forecast for the Monday night into Tuesday timeframe, I thought for just a second that you were talking about a major ice storm this coming week. Then I looked at the date... Phew!

Yeah, very windy today. The kids had an early dismissal from school (scheduled), and were playing in the backyard. I had to warn them to stay away from one particular, not very healthy, tree.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 PM

Default major league wind Today

Ha ha, that's quite ok.. Please no more ice! Windy, you said it.. had a peak gust at 1:00 friday afternoon of 53 mph from the sw in sewickley Heights and then a 56 mph gust at 7:05 friday eve from the west. have a weather station on top of the family house with a pretty open expanse to the west. Can see for about 30 miles. When it's windy we get it major league. But were those temps in the 60's not just awesome !

Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM

Default Will this be the season's largest single snowfall thus far ?

The rain quickly changed over to sleet shortly after noon here in Sewickley and by 4:00 already an inch of snow has covered the ground. Heavy snow falling and the temp has dropped 4 degrees since noon. And I see it's in the low to mid 20's just to our north and west. Cold air has arrived a bit faster than expected! I'm thinking the largest snow of the season just might fall overnight in the Pittsburgh area. That's not saying a whole lot when Pittsburgh's single greatest snowfall has been between five and seven inches. But hey, just maybe when you get up in the morning a plus 6 inch snow might have fallen.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Sky warn observations 5:00 p.m Cranberry 2.8 inches, Sewickley Heights 1.7 inches

Old 02-21-2011, 04:06 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
Winter Storm warning for 4 to 8 inches until 10 AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh