Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:23 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
It's split up really. Here's what I've experienced:

- Hipster parts of town will have tons of people who lean to the left.
- Poor areas of the city have lots of people who lean to the left.
- Blue collar workers who have union ties still lean to the left.

On the opposite end:

- Blue collar workers who have no ties to unions are very right wing.

I think you've summed it up best Aqua by saying it's split, except I have known trade union members that are conservative Republican despite being union employees.

There have been very prominent Republicans that have come from Pittsburgh like Ron Paul and Orrin Hatch. There are also some who have ping ponged back and forth between the two parties. Former Sen. Arlen Spector jumped back to Democrat again after being a former Republican, (and a Democrat prior to that).

Theresa Heinz-Kerry also was a former Republican who became Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 01:07 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Theresa Heinz-Kerry also was a former Republican who became Democrat.
I think that had a lot to do with her husband becoming the likely candidate for President in 2004.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Keep in mind the numbers are overwhelmingly Democrat most all the time. Same with Philly. The so-called conservatives are more verbose, so sometimes it may feel like there are more of them, but the numbers don't support that. If Palin runs, she will get almost no votes in this town.
If Palin runs, the Repubs will only prove how stupid they are, again.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Also, every blue collar job I've worked out that wasn't unionized was either in the right wing or Pennsyltucky mindset.
What to you differentiates the "Pennsyltucky mindset" from plain ol' right wing stuff?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
There have been very prominent Republicans that have come from Pittsburgh like Ron Paul...
I do think Ron Paul is a conservative by my definition. He might be the only one. He peaked my interest, but never got much momentum. I do like fiscal conservatives. Not many around. I have been voting Democrat lately. Just don't agree with the tea party type stuff. McCain was way too outdated for this day and age.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
If Palin runs, the Repubs will only prove how stupid they are, again.
Co-signed.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
How is NYC conservative exactly? I don't follow... what is "conservative" to you?
I guess what I didn't get across in my original post is that I'm looking to know if Pittsburgh is more conservative in a cultural manner, not politically.

For example: NYC is not liberal in the sense that you can look how you want to and go about having a career because I and my husband have experienced the prejudice.

I don't care what anyone says, but I know that if one is considered fat, old, weird, hippie, biker, rapper, goth, or you just don't fit that cookie cutter image of mainstream America then you will have a hard time getting on in the work force and in General.

Can one be a tree hugging vegan, goth, hippie, fat, middle aged, immigrant, or etc. and still be able to be yourself without having to change into that cookie cutter image and listen to Miley Cyrus to be popular?

Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I guess what I didn't get across in my original post is that I'm looking to know if Pittsburgh is more conservative in a cultural manner, not politically.

For example: NYC is not liberal in the sense that you can look how you want to and go about having a career because I and my husband have experienced the prejudice.

I don't care what anyone says, but I know that if one is considered fat, old, weird, hippie, biker, rapper, goth, or you just don't fit that cookie cutter image of mainstream America then you will have a hard time getting on in the work force and in General.

Can one be a tree hugging vegan, goth, hippie, fat, middle aged, immigrant, or etc. and still be able to be yourself without having to change into that cookie cutter image and listen to Miley Cyrus to be popular?
I think Pittsburgh is pretty tolerant these days. So many employed by Universities and they don't exactly dress like suits. Plenty of earrings to go around. Now if you want to work for PNC Bank, you might now want to have a swastika on your forehead.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,715,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
What to you differentiates the "Pennsyltucky mindset" from plain ol' right wing stuff?
Well some of my closest friends are straight up "Pennsyltucky" even though our ideas and values are drastically different. We're talking deer hunting, beer drinking, "don't let the government take our guns away", camo hat wearing, big truck loving dudes who live right in the middle of the city. Granted not everyone is that extreme, but they do exist.

It's a strange little subculture here in Pittsburgh. Even many young professionals have a little bit of country in them, just check out the crowd at Sattle Ridge.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post

In this regard, Pittsburgh is mostly liberal and/or tollerant. Some corporations are very conservative. You won't likely get to work at those. But there are plenty of businesses and corporations that will hire people who don't have the conservative cookie cutter appearance. It really depends on your career goals. If you want a career in financial banking or investing, it will be difficult to find a job.

You mention fat a few times. There's a lot of fat people in Pittsburgh. That shouldn't be a problem. Hippie, biker, rapper........they're all pretty much accepted. Goth to an extent as long as it's not overboard---dark clothes, dark hair, dark lips are probably okay but leave the chains hanging to your ankles for off-work hours. Many, many peircings depend on where you plan to work. Tree hugging vegans seem to be popular here these days. Immigrants, middle aged---all you need is an education---Pittsburgh has a lot of educated immigrants in the population. Uneducated immigrants is another story---you won't break into the corporate ladder, but you will get hired at a restaurant.

Keep in mind for some careers you do have to tone down your 'look' a bit. If you're a rapper, you can wear clothes that are somewhat you, but you can't wear your pants with your butt hanging out if you want a corporate career. That doesn't mean that you have to wear a suit---except in our most conservative corporations.

You sometimes have to make sacrifices to achieve your goals. I've known many people with split personalities---for example, dressed appropriately for work but were decked out in tatoos and leather off-duty. They chose to do it because they desired a specific career. They didn't feel like they were selling themselves short. They just lived their life the way they wanted to live it when they weren't working.

We could provide you with better guidance if you defined yourselves specifically (because you can't be everything you listed in your example) and shared with us your careers goals. Overall, Pittsburgh is a lifestyle tollerant city, but we can't give you an accurate answer for your particular goals unless you are more specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh