Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 AM

159 posts, read 318,218 times

Advertisements

I will be staying Downtown. My hotel is pretty close to the Steel Building I think and I am wondering what would be the best way to get to the North Shore on New Years Day for the Winter Classic? Parking rates are outrageous so I would like an alternate way to get there. With the warm temperatures that day, walking may be possible, but it is still quite a distance. How can I get there with public transportation? If I take the bus, what routes would I need? I recall taking the bus in Pittsburgh a few years ago and remember the routes were sort of difficult. Also, are there any shuttles running to the North Shore that day?

Thanks. Lets go Pens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I would just walk. Should be a perfect day for it.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
If only they would extend the T under the river to Heinz Field!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:30 AM

142 posts, read 365,585 times
It would be about a 1 1/2 mile walk, which should be just fine unless you aren't able to walk any sort of distance.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
It's really an easy walk. But the Port Authority is offering free rides that day and has actually produced a guide for getting to the game. I tried to link directly to it, but it's a pdf and I couldn't get it to work. If you go to their website -- Port Authority of Allegheny County - Pittsburgh, PA -- and click on the Winter Classic logo on the right side of the page, it will take you to the pdf with schedules and information on routes to the field.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:10 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
The reason for the parking fees and stuff is to generate money for the local economy.
You don't think that the hockey game is being put on just for show do you?
It is the nature of the beast to be over charged for most things in life - if you want them bad enough. Kennywood Park, Idlewild Park, Walt Disney World, the Super Bowl, the World Series.

If it is a mile and one half each way - that is a 3 mile walk.

It is a once a year or a once in a lifetime event.
Break down and spend the couple of bucks or ride the bus.
I'm sure it is going to be a great time for all.
I only wish that I was going!

Penguins looked really good last night - AGAIN!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 AM
gg

It is a special event. If someone on ebay can get that price, good for them. I usually park in the Northside and walk down, but if I was downtown I would enjoy the lovely walk from there. The city walk is flatter and almost as close as the Northside. Don't buy a pass. It would be way cheaper to take a taxi and the hotel could probably set that up. Ask the hotel how to get there. Maybe they will offer something?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
It is the nature of the beast to be over charged for most things in life - if you want them bad enough. Kennywood Park..
You have got to be kidding me? Kennywood is overpriced? I think last time I went it was like $22 bucks buying tickets from the school district. Goodness, even if it was $30, that still would be cheaper than dirt.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
prices is a way of allocating scarce resources. if the price were $2, there'd likely be more cars than spaces. of course, what does this say about transit when the price is $0?
Quote:
[SIZE=2]In celebration of New Year’s Day and the 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, Port Authority riders will enjoy free travel on buses, the T and the Monongahela Incline on January 1, 2011, compliments of Pepsi MAX.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Free rides are valid during the January 1 service day (from 4 a.m. on January 1 through 2 a.m. on January 2).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Port Authority service will follow a holiday schedule on New Year’s Day. [/SIZE]
it appears the service is free and runs every 10-15 min.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
prices is a way of allocating scarce resources. if the price were $2, there'd likely be more cars than spaces. of course, what does this say about transit when the price is $0?
It says that Pepsi Max is paying.

Latest News

Buys them advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh