Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

This week it jumped from #12 to #6 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Now please insert one of the obligatory remarks:

"Rap sucks!"
"Contemporary popular music sucks!"
"It's 'gold,' not 'yellow!'"
"It's not about Pittsburgh! It's about his car!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,692 times
When will Mayor Lukey proclaim Wiz Khalifa Day in Pittsburgh?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:59 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
This is how most people like me see Black and Yellow and Wiz Klaifa
Larwanceville you did it this is what the black cumminty has been waiting for.
Now we ain't sing New York or LA songs it's Pittsburgh... A rapper on the radio not just the OG of a street gang (I still love gangsta rap) but now we are representing!!! Wiz is gonna take Burgh music to a whole new level... You don't have to be a South Zhoover crip, or McKeesport blood and only be known by the hoods of Pittsburgh. You can be a well known rapper. Good luck to our very own Wiz!!! Larwanceville you did it claim it!!!
Taylor Gang or Die. Haha
Keep your head up Wiz make sure these hatas don't knock you or da gangsters don't glock you cu...
Hey S money, Boaz, Ruff Bone, Kraze, lil Brucey, G* lock, YG, Murda mouse, 36G, Clairton ATM gang, Ray Zellous, Bird & all the other gangsta rappers you get your shine on too... Just hook up with Wiz our primere rapper!!!
Shout out to the Burgh & to the hood cause we gettin BIG!!! You can't hate rap music it tells the story for the people that can't tell it themselves!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
Even though he is a pot head he is a burgh rapper, so atomaticly Pittsburgh youth are gonna support him. It's a fact that Wiz spends more than $1000 on weed. Alot of people see him as more of a drug fiend and a joke that can make music. Not really the role model type for anyone that knows his ridicoulus addiction. Also, he is alot better than the Homewood, Manchester, Beltzhoover, Homested, McKeesport & Clairton gangsta rappers. Those guys claim dead homies, claim gangs, claim to being former hustlers, and probably use to rag up and ride AKA ( drive by shooting). Wiz is just some pot head! While just like most of the rappers in the mainstream that thousands of kids/teens listen to world wide. Besides how are you gonna make money as a rapper without mentioning gangs, drugs, sex, & fast money??? It's a sad fact but don't listen to most rap if you don't wanna hear about it.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Popular musicians who are poor role models in their personal lives is not something rap invented.

And of course this is not the first popular musician from the area--what I find interesting is that this time, it is a point of pride for the artist.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:34 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,745 times
That song makes me cringe, it's not even good and seems fairly generic. It has nothing to do with it being a rap song, but holy crap that's a lame way to represent Pittsburgh. I mean, I'm not exactly up on rap but even I can tell that it sounds incredibly dated and like something that would have been released some 10 years ago...it's just bland, formulaic, and something that any random kid out in the Hill could probably have came up with in 25 minutes while screwing around with friends in their basement. To make things worse, it almost sounds like that stupid "Back that Thing Up" song from around '99 or whenever that crap came out.

I haven't really bothered to listen to much of this guy despite having known about him for a couple of years, but he really doesn't seem like he has an ounce of talent from a creative standpoint.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:30 AM

9 posts, read 16,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
That song makes me cringe, it's not even good and seems fairly generic. It has nothing to do with it being a rap song, but holy crap that's a lame way to represent Pittsburgh. I mean, I'm not exactly up on rap but even I can tell that it sounds incredibly dated and like something that would have been released some 10 years ago...it's just bland, formulaic, and something that any random kid out in the Hill could probably have came up with in 25 minutes while screwing around with friends in their basement. To make things worse, it almost sounds like that stupid "Back that Thing Up" song from around '99 or whenever that crap came out.

I haven't really bothered to listen to much of this guy despite having known about him for a couple of years, but he really doesn't seem like he has an ounce of talent from a creative standpoint.
If you want to see his talent: listen to his CD show and prove!

Pittsburgh sound, keep the conversation... etc!

Anyone that samples Billy Joel is alright in my book!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:43 AM

191 posts, read 601,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers5548 View Post

That album is better than his new one... that keep the conversation song is the truth! In my opinion it blows away his Deal or no Deal album although i like that one too. Notice how his accent changed from Show and Prove to how it is now? Was he forcing a NY/NJ/Philly accent on the first? Or is he forcing some different accent now? Weird... but i respect his hustle and i like his music.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 AM

116 posts, read 212,311 times
"All black males smoke weed" - I think the principle is being a tad stereotypical. Nothing wrong with weed anyway, booze causes problems.

The song is good in my opinion, and I like mainly punk.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers5548 View Post

I'll check that out, because I honestly don't see it through the few things that I have heard. I can picture people being a bit blindsided by the fact that he's from Pittsburgh and using that as an excuse to prop him up and overlook the possibility that he flat out just sucks, but I'll definately look into it to see if it's better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh