Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:31 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times

Advertisements

Some of these were on my list for 2010, but were pushed back. These are the ones I think have a good chance in 2011. Be happy to add anything within city limits or anything else major in Allegheny County.

1.One Grandview
2. South Side Works parcel near Hofbrauhaus(scaled down version from a prior proposal)
3. Oakland Portal(We have been hearing about this for a few years. I think we will see some movement here and/or at the former Allegheny County Health Dept. site.
4. Point Park University advancing it's vision a bit more
5. The Chelsea?
6. Smithfield and Fort Pitt residential/office building?

There may be more. None of these are really surefire for 2011, but most will be done eventually. I know of several more projects in the works. It looks like 2012 and especially 2013 are shaping up to be years when several major projects get off of the ground. Am I overly optimistic about One Grandview for 2011? I went up there last week and the former Edge Restaurant is still there. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 11:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
What is The Chelsea? Also, what do you think will be done with the old Allegheny County Health Dept. Building (it's a nice building)?

Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
What is The Chelsea? Also, what do you think will be done with the old Allegheny County Health Dept. Building (it's a nice building)?
The Chelsea is a proposed seventeen story high rise to be built in North Oakland at Centre and North Craig. The Allegheny County Health Department building is to be razed and an office and retail complex is to be built in it's place.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
The Chelsea is a proposed seventeen story high rise to be built in North Oakland at Centre and North Craig. The Allegheny County Health Department building is to be razed and an office and retail complex is to be built in it's place.
There go more historic buildings in Oakland... oh well. The mansions near the Chelsea development are going to be hard for me to take losing (particularly the Victorian with the turret).

Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 AM

398 posts, read 702,237 times
Phase III of Summerset at Frick Park.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
There go more historic buildings in Oakland... oh well. The mansions near the Chelsea development are going to be hard for me to take losing (particularly the Victorian with the turret).
"mansions"??? you mean those dilapitated victorian houses that Pitt shovels students into year after year..http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...197.59,,0,2.76

Yea those can go...

My hopes are to see something happen with in 2011:

- East Liberty Highland Building and the neighboring next to it
- The Murray and Foward Av development
- and 2011 will be the year of Uptown planning and development

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 01-03-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 PM

- and 2011 will be the year of Uptown planning and development[/quote]

Yeah, I expect to see more plans advance for Uptown for 2011. Uptown is one of the areas I feel wil start to take off in 2013. That is a watershed year for Pittsburgh development the way things are currently looking. Some plans may be sooner and some later. I just expect to see major activity in two years or so.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 PM

Just because they are "dilapidated" and Pitt shovels students into them year after year, doesn't mean they aren't still fabulous, grand old Victorian mansions (particularly the one on the corner of Dithridge and Centre). These homes, even in their run-down condition, lend more character and elegance to Pittsburgh than a hundred big box condo developments.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Just because they are "dilapidated" and Pitt shovels students into them year after year, doesn't mean they aren't still fabulous, grand old Victorian mansions (particularly the one on the corner of Dithridge and Centre). These homes, even in their run-down condition, lend more character and elegance to Pittsburgh than a hundred big box condo developments.
Yea well they'd be more fabulous if the prop owners kept the property up to date...Doesn't seem like they interested in that, just want to keep the money wheel spinning by housing poor unsuspecting pitt students and collecting rent...The landlord is nothing short of a Slum...

Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Am I overly optimistic about One Grandview for 2011? I went up there last week and the former Edge Restaurant is still there. Any thoughts?
Yeah, I was wondering if the plan for the glass staircase is still on the table or not ? The architect for the staircase came up with one of the most unique ideas for Pittsburgh and as something very functional by planning on lighting it with solar lights for use at night.
Maybe it can move forward if and when the economy picks up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh