Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,192 times

Advertisements

WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE PERMITS IN THE CITY OF PGH.....Yes ,you do need permits . There's a reason it's called HEALTH & WELFARE . The house next to me was sold and the new owner from Ca. who buys houses cheap and rents them . This is a joke for she only has to follow residents rules and not Commercial . WAKE UP this is a business treat it like one . These people removed asbestos , dragged it through the house then put it on the side walk until they loaded it on an open pick up truck which just drove away . Those fibers are now all through that house .SO do you think that the renters are going to know that they are living in a house that's maybe going to give them cancer in 20 to 30 years , DOUBTFUL - so this women is right to be concerned . I have done all I could to stop this from happening . PEOLPE TAKE BACK YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD , Speak up if construction is taking place and you do not see a permit in place , it could mean there hiding something and it might not good. Another time across the street from me a man who used to live there gutted that house and throw plaster he ripped out & old rugs in his front yard then covered it up with mulch . People do anything to keep there cost down . Does not make it right . And do you think he told the new owner what in the front yard ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,029,737 times
oh lawdy - my previous apartment in squirrel hill that ive complained about on this board - the management, J J Land Co., will, AFTER YOU SIGN THE LEASE, present you with a form stating that you were made aware that there MAY be asbestos in the unit....

b a stards.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:54 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,903,116 times
this post makes me very happy of my place. I got a good management in forbes mgmt. good luck op.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:22 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,453,053 times
this issue most likely has more to do with zoning than to do with safety or health ( at least in your unit). How about save the money its going to cost you to hire lawyers and put it toward a down payment on a home of your own. No more future issues with landlords for you.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM

146 posts, read 296,124 times
This thread was started 01-04-2011, 11:19 PM, I bet the issue is long resolved

Old 10-20-2014, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,092 times
Default landlords still at it..

contrary to popular opinion, irresponsible city of pittsburgh landlords are still cramming too many students into single family 'SF' houses in oakland. (under the City Code, a SF house can be occupied legally by only 3 unrelated persons.) recently, magistrate gene ricciardi fined a landlord cramming 6 into a single family house $270,000. (The penalty is $1000 per day of violation.) it remains to be seen whether tricky legal maneuvering will allow that landlord to evade payment of his fine. meanwhile the excess 3 students are under threat of evictions. stay tuned ...

Old 10-22-2014, 06:06 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,950,919 times
I haven't seen any landlord with chimney sweeps shoving students through doors so cramming is not exactly correct. A lot of the SF homes have plenty of space for students to each have their own rooms. It's pure paternalism and/or cronyism on the part of the city to push students out of Oakland to reduce noise complaints and raise property values elsewhere. I live with 3 other guys in a converted 1 bedroom duplex (2 bedrooms) in Atlanta and was just fine. If there becomes a sanitation issue that's a different story, but this 3 unrelated persons rule is just stupidity on the part of the city.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:24 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,559,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
If there becomes a sanitation issue that's a different story, but this 3 unrelated persons rule is just stupidity on the part of the city.
Have you seen Oakland on and after trash day? It's been a sanitation issue for a long time. They just sort of mound the trash and let is blow where the wind takes it. It's one thing to put a large number of units in a building that has been designed for it. Or even one that has been properly converted. Say equipped with a dumpster and maintained. But that's not the case in Oakland.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,950,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Have you seen Oakland on and after trash day? It's been a sanitation issue for a long time. They just sort of mound the trash and let is blow where the wind takes it. It's one thing to put a large number of units in a building that has been designed for it. Or even one that has been properly converted. Say equipped with a dumpster and maintained. But that's not the case in Oakland.
None of which has to do with he number of unrelated persons living in the structure. Fine the landlord on living conditions and not maintaining his grounds. Stop trying to push students out of Oakland.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:44 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,559,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
None of which has to do with he number of unrelated persons living in the structure. Fine the landlord on living conditions and not maintaining his grounds. Stop trying to push students out of Oakland.
I'm not trying to push students out of Oakland. I'm trying to require landlords, especially those who turn houses into apartment buildings, to put in a dumpster or other trash system suitable to a residence occupied by multiple households. Curbside collection clearly doesn't work past a certain level of density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh