Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:02 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Exactly! It is foolish to move without a job and without savings. You might get a job, delivering pizza or flowers or fruit, but it may not cover your bills and debts. Why risk it? Why not wait until you have a job in your new locale?
Do you do anything besides stalk me around to every sub-forum criticizing me for no apparent reason? "Why risk it", you may ask? When the alternative was living longer in Fairfax County, VA I'd risk losing a limb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 04:00 PM

210 posts, read 471,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Do you do anything besides stalk me around to every sub-forum criticizing me for no apparent reason? "Why risk it", you may ask? When the alternative was living longer in Fairfax County, VA I'd risk losing a limb.
IIRC your situation correctly you don't have kids and are single, right? So you are in a situation where you could risk being a bit more daring, and you only live once!

I wouldn't do it with kids, but when I moved I met multiple single folks who moved on less than 1K. I remember this because they gave me a lot of borrowed courage that I, too, could manage making a change as well (albeit a bit more planned)!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Exactly! It is foolish to move without a job and without savings. You might get a job, delivering pizza or flowers or fruit, but it may not cover your bills and debts. Why risk it? Why not wait until you have a job in your new locale?
Well, there's the obvious answer that you may end up stuck somewhere you don't like for the rest of your life.

Do you think most employers who hire someone who lived elsewhere a year ago, say, hire those someones while they're back in the old location? That's happened for me a couple of times in the past, but I think that kind of cushy, all-expenses paid new-job/location/transfer phenomenon is on the same Dodobird Express as the other "benefits" you pointedly and repeatedly mention RR's not having.

IMO, sometimes you need to just get up and move somewhere else if being there is what's most important to you. One aspect of RR's situation that bears not ignoring is how much it cost him to live where he was, and how that affected his ability to save any money. He could have been stuck there awhile longer if he'd subscribed to your sense of caution above all else.

RR, you did the right thing.

Denton, you're not as nice as I first thought you were.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
I'm pretty certain that RR got the job on a temporary basis, just for some sort of income. I highly doubt that he will be doing the same thing for the rest of his life, given his education and work experience. If delivering fruit is what he wants to do, then more power to him. I've known a few people who had both the drive to get a college degree, and then strike out on their own in a new city, and ended up doing quite well for themselves through their drive and personal ambition. When moving to a new city, it takes time to meet people, and through meeting people, you end up networking, and networking can lead to the better paying prestigious jobs. It doesn't happen overnight.

Methinks RR is going to do just fine.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Guess I hit a nerve.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Guess I hit a nerve.
No. You didn't. A certain member who shall remain nameless follows me around to every forum I post in and typically only responds to any thread in which I have a reply because she doesn't like me. I feel honored, actually, that I've gained such a "following".

Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Quote:
When moving to a new city, it takes time to meet people, and through meeting people, you end up networking, and networking can lead to the better paying prestigious jobs. It doesn't happen overnight.
Sound of doorbell ringing

Door opens

"Hi, I'm RR. Here's your fruit basket, and a copy of my resume."

Hey, who knows?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Sound of doorbell ringing

Door opens

"Hi, I'm RR. Here's your fruit basket, and a copy of my resume."

Hey, who knows?
You never know what could work in this day and age. My aunt sent a picture of herself and a caption saying "pick me!" with her thank you letter after a job interview. It made her stand out, and she ended up getting the job. On her first day as she was meeting people, everyone already knew her as "that lady with the thank you letter".

Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Hey you, this is getting old, seriously.

Sometimes you can't wait for a job to get to somewhere.

I'm going through this right now. My dad is very sick in Charlotte (and likely won't be getting better.) If it was my mother instead of my stepmother he was leaving behind, you can believe I would not wait for the job fairy to bring me a Charlotte job before I would move down there to help her if she needed it and had no one else that lived close to them (which thankfully they do.)

In other cases, you may be doing more financial damage by staying put. I had a $24k job in DC before I left for KY. No way I'd survive on that in DC. I may have been out a job for 4 months but I had a roof over my head.

Worrying (or obsessing) about what other people do with their lives is no way to live.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
You never know what could work in this day and age. My aunt sent a picture of herself and a caption saying "pick me!" with her thank you letter after a job interview. It made her stand out, and she ended up getting the job. On her first day as she was meeting people, everyone already knew her as "that lady with the thank you letter".
It's true you never know. I think the problem a lot of people have is landing the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh