Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:23 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'd hope the train would stop both in Downtown and at the airport, thereby providing its own connection.

But if it were an express would "they" necessarily want two Pittsburgh stops? I'd like both, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 12:27 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,193 times
Quote:
I'd hope the train would stop both in Downtown and at the airport, thereby providing its own connection.

I agree with you on that point, but I sometimes think it would be more beneficial having a separate connector from the airport to downtown? I think a lot of business people could use a connector like that for daily travels.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Even if parking could be handled, the added congestion into downtown wouldnt be welcome, so I think an airport stop for the parking & ease of getting to & a downtown stop for the convenience of being downtown are great ideas.
Another thing you could do is beef up the park-and-rides along PAT's rapid-transit system.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Robinson service is pretty important, Brian. If you are in town during the morning, you could see a fair number of people are using Robinson busses to commute to jobs at the big retail and office complex in the Robinson/N. Fayette areas.
Sure, but as you note, you don't need to use the 28X to serve Robinson. In fact, the TDP consultants noted that using buses configured for airport service (with luggage racks and such) was not optimal for serving Robinson.

Quote:
And I think a fair number of folks in Robinson already need rides to Pittsbugh International.
No, not really. Again when the consultants did the ridership study for the 28X, very little of the ridership was actually going between the airport and Robinson.

The reason they combine these routes is that doing so maximizes ridership per bus and saves a bit of money. But you would get better service both places by separating them, which is why in fact they did separate them originally under the TDP. But then they recombined them when the state slashed their funding, and saving money however they could became the highest priority.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
But if it were an express would "they" necessarily want two Pittsburgh stops? I'd like both, too.
It isn't uncommon for HSR to do a stop in the city center and another stop out in the suburbs of major metros, for some of the reasons we have been discussing. And, of course, you can always schedule some "express" trains that skip some stops.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
I agree with you on that point, but I sometimes think it would be more beneficial having a separate connector from the airport to downtown? I think a lot of business people could use a connector like that for daily travels.
We don't really get THAT much traffic between the airport and Downtown, and the 28X (minus the Robinson Loop) is a pretty good service for that purpose--it would be tough to meaningfully beat with anything but heavy rail operating at higher speeds.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:12 PM

116 posts, read 212,342 times
Quote:
We don't really get THAT much traffic between the airport and Downtown, and the 28X (minus the Robinson Loop) is a pretty good service for that purpose--it would be tough to meaningfully beat with anything but heavy rail operating at higher speeds.
Yes. Minus the Robinson loop is key. There's definitely enough riders in that loop that would justify its own bus. Plus, it could probably be configured to encompass other ares in Robinson.

And there is potential for increased ridership from the airport. The problem is this psychological barrier that some people have with regards to riding buses. Worked at the airport eons ago, and when asked the best way to get downtown, I would suggest the 28X. This was usually followed with them asking the second best way to get downtown.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:05 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I would like to see Amtrak relocated to a new Station created over on the North Shore somewhere close to the NSC....I think the North Shore is going to be just as central a location as right in the heart of Downtown would be.
In my ideal dream world (well, plus or minus), Pittsburgh's central station would be just south of Allegheny Center. It would be an ideal (hypothetical) site: a fairly long, decently wide swath of land (at present mostly unused, or expendable) right at the junction of major lines going in the most significant directions, and close to (just on the edge) of the "greater" downtown. Plus it would hopefully create a catalyst for development on the Northside.

Of course, a lot of other stuff would have to happen to have the need for such a station. Alas!

Old 10-01-2011, 06:14 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Here a relevant story.....So much for there not being demand for faster more frequent trains in the Keystone West.....but Amtrak is facing the same dilemma as PAT only on a nation scale.

Quote:
For its 2012 budget, Amtrak asked Congress for $2.2 billion -- $616 million for operations and $1.6 billion for capital investments and debt payments.

A House Appropriations subcommittee this month recommended cutting Amtrak's operating grant to $227 million -- an amount Amtrak officials warned could be catastrophic.
Amtrak at crossing: Increasing ridership, declining funding - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Quote:
"If I get back on the board, you'll see train sets ordered real fast and a Pittsburgh airport train station on track," Carmichael said.

Amtrak ordered 130 long-distance cars and 70 electric locomotives, Hunter said, noting "Pennsylvania will see some of that new equipment."

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 10-01-2011 at 06:27 AM..

Old 10-01-2011, 08:47 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Default History for that site

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
In my ideal dream world (well, plus or minus), Pittsburgh's central station would be just south of Allegheny Center. It would be an ideal (hypothetical) site: a fairly long, decently wide swath of land (at present mostly unused, or expendable) right at the junction of major lines going in the most significant directions, and close to (just on the edge) of the "greater" downtown. Plus it would hopefully create a catalyst for development on the Northside.

Of course, a lot of other stuff would have to happen to have the need for such a station. Alas!
I also think a North Side Station would make a ton of sense.

As you may or may not know, federal street on the North Side (roughly the location of the existing Post office south of Allegheny Center) was for many years the location of the major Pittsburgh area station of the Pittsburgh, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad. When Lincoln visited Pittsburgh on his travel to the inauguration, this is where his train stopped. There's a small plaque on the Post Office building. In 1907 they built a new station. Below are some pictures of the first station and then the subsequent station.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh