Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM

22,420 posts, read 47,402,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I like how Pittsburghers blame the victim
I think there has to be a crime to have a victim....

Stupid (on both sides, in this case) isn't a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Think about it again, and I mean critically think, and you'll realize that it doesn't add up. Like the idiom goes " Something's rotten in Denmark.."
I'm a pretty good critical thinker. After all, I went to Pitt! Seriously, I don't know the whole story and I doubt that anyone else on this board does, either. But people are way too eager to blame the woman. Drunk doesn't give one permission to have sex with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I was just thinking it was the usual paint all Pittsburghers with the same brush, but whatever....
I see what you mean, and I'll amend what I said to say that I was thinking that many on this board want to blame the accuser. Is that better?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 PM

425 posts, read 956,893 times
Maybe I'm just cynical, but while Ben was an idiot for putting himself in that position, and "taking the bait" so to speak, but I think the only sound that woman heard in her head when she seen Ben walk into the bar that night was "Ka-Ching"

Wayne Gretzky was smart, if he went to get into an elevator and there was a woman in it by herself, he would either take the stairs or wait for the next one....it's a damn shame, because it makes it that much harder on the legitimate cases.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM

425 posts, read 956,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Someone from Pittsburgh boasting like this to a Jets fan, or even an Eagles fan, may get this retort-

"Don't make me sell my garage and buy your whole neighborhood."
Well as a jets fan, let me retort....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ETPoQuoog

Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,848,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm a pretty good critical thinker. After all, I went to Pitt! Seriously, I don't know the whole story and I doubt that anyone else on this board does, either. But people are way too eager to blame the woman. Drunk doesn't give one permission to have sex with you.

I see what you mean, and I'll amend what I said to say that I was thinking that many on this board want to blame the accuser. Is that better?
Yoy're right about none of us knowing all the facts. Maybe if I had more facts than my position would be leaning more toward "guilty"
But we don't know if the the sex act actually occurred and if it was not consensual and a rape. There is always the possibility that it didn't or that maybe it did but was consensual.
If the latter, then you are the one blaming the actual victim,who happens to be a victim of a false accusation.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Yoy're right about none of us knowing all the facts. Maybe if I had more facts than my position would be leaning more toward "guilty"
But we don't know if the the sex act actually occurred and if it was not consensual and a rape. There is always the possibility that it didn't or that maybe it did but was consensual.
If the latter, then you are the one blaming the actual victim,who happens to be a victim of a false accusation.
Who did I blame?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,298,236 times
Default Steelers Country takes up a lot of area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Living in Baltimore has given me a new perspective on the Steelers... whenever they play the Steelers you'd think it was the superbowl. So much trash talk even by the news anchors, it doesn't come across as an "all in good fun" type of thing either... just bitterness that the Ravens have continued to be an also ran team because despite a string of close games that COULD have gone either way, they just can't beat the Steelers when it really counts.

Also for a city that considers itself a football town, you certainly see a ton of Steelers fans here. I can't remember EVER seeing someone decked out in Ravens gear walking around Ross Park Mall or the like, however I see Steelers fans all the time at the malls, grocery stores, etc.
I think the major difference between Baltimore and Pittsburgh is the size of the market. Now I am speaking from a perspective formulated in the 1970s in which many of the expansion teams since the 60s were placed in SunBelt cities that are horrific sports towns. The cities of the Eastern Seaboard have small geographic marketplaces but high population densities (Pats, Giants/Jets/Eagles/Ravens). Certainly there are Ravens fans throughout Maryland but I've been in Carroll County on a Sunday and seen nothing but Redskins jerseys!

The Steelers and Redskins were always more regional teams. It seems that all of Appalachia (I'm sure due in no small part to in-migration during the Industrial Era) roots for Pittsburgh. Everywhere down the I-81 corridor and westward in Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, & western Virginia all the way over to Eastern Ohio appears to be Steelers Country. The only other similar teams with such massive marketplaces seem to be the Redskins: most of the Southeast (I never meet Panthers or Falcons fans outside of those immediate cities), Cowboys: all of the Southwest, even including Phoenix but mostly excluding Houston, and the Broncos: all of the Rocky Mountains.

Most other teams seem to be confined to fairly large metropolitan areas (notably Chicago and the Dolphins in South Florida), individual states like the Colts, Packers, Vikings, Lions, Seahawks, and those teams like the Chiefs and Rams that share states. But the Steelers, Patriots, Redskins, Cowboys, Broncos, and the Raiders (at least when I was younger) seem to be super-regional teams that have fanbases that extend across more than three states.

The Ravens just don't have mass appeal. Sure there are Ravens fans all over just like any good team, but face it, in Western Maryland you see corporate entities like Wal-Mart and Dick's Sporting Goods that are stocked with Ravens merchandise with seemingly little knowledge that the purple won't sell because they are actually in Steelers Country even though it's Maryland.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
^^ Actually Bear fandom extends pretty far into downstate Illinois, even into parts that are otherwise Cardinals/Blues territory. Whereas Cardinals/Blues fandom covers the entire southern half of the state, the Rams aren't particularly popular anywhere in Illinois outside the STL Metro East area. And they're not even particularly revered in the STL metro itself, on either side of the river.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 PM

210 posts, read 470,368 times
I'm still a diehard Steelers & Penguins fan (you can have the Pirates, never was into them). Black & Gold all the way baby no matter where I live!!! Most my friends who are out of state are the same way. Every game day my facebook is overrun with Black & Gold and smack talking. You can take the fan out of the city but it won't stop us!

(though now I also added in a CHL team, the Eagles )

Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,298,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ Actually Bear fandom extends pretty far into downstate Illinois, even into parts that are otherwise Cardinals/Blues territory. Whereas Cardinals/Blues fandom covers the entire southern half of the state, the Rams aren't particularly popular anywhere in Illinois outside the STL Metro East area. And they're not even particularly revered in the STL metro itself, on either side of the river.
I would think the Bears fan base extends into NW Indiana as well. Chicago being the third largest metro area I'm sure has a massive fan base that takes up a pretty large geographic area. I just think the Steelers have a pretty impressive market area (perhaps of any in the NFL) despite being considered a small market team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh