Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Methinks I'll have to post some photos of my loft! I ♥ this place! My landlady grew up in this home and lived here for the entirety of her life, save for a few years spent in Florida. She renovated it in Fall 2010, shortly before I moved in. It has hardwood flooring, exposed brick, large windows, a new kitchen, a HUGE walk-in closet, and high ceilings, amongst other perks. It's my dream apartment. I see another "upscale" 1-BR loft is now listed on CraigsList for $595/month at the top of my street. I really hope Polish Hill continues to become repopulated. I see out-of-state license plates on the roads here frequently.
On a side note, not to sound all snide or symantic-y, but what precisely makes it a "loft" and not just a normal apartment? I find people like to apply that label, presumably in attempts to make the place sound fancier, to spaces I would not consider a "loft" (not re-adapted factory space ala Cork Factory, nor with an actual lofted floor open to below, nor a space on the top floor/attic.)
I knew this kid who had a "loft" in Lawrenceville - it was basically an apartment above a storefront, and probably has been for well over 50 years, but he claimed that its open floor plan (ie they took the doors off the hinges) made it a loft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
If someone works in Cranberry, should they move to the city? I've always lived within a 15 minute drive from where I worked, hate wasting time, not everyone works downtown or along a PAT route to get them to work.
No, if someone works in Cranberry, they should live in Mars.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Some routes are low volume in general, but sometimes they have to run low-volume one direction in order to run high-volume the other way. You also need enough service to make it flexible to people's schedules--e.g., some people on a light-volume evening bus might have been on a high-volume morning bus, or vice-versa. So rather than try to get each bus packed, the usual goal is to maintain a decent average occupancy.
That's true. The buses are going to be empty when they start their run ( unless all the riders would get on at the PAT garage) and when buses return at the end of the run.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree it makes sense for most people to live close to work, wherever that may be. But I wasn't suggesting everyone should move to the City--I was just explaining why my wife's attitude wasn't really that unusual.
Not a problem, I wasn't responding to your post, I was responding to Faer's.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
I'm feeling guilty, my wife just bought a Nissan Rogue, gets good mileage compared to the Toyota we traded in. Good mileage and since we travel to NY a lot in the winter, just feel safer in it.
What's your definition of "good mileage" Copa? My neighbor has an '09 Rogue that she traded her Honda CRV and complains that she is barely getting 20 MPG and only mid-teens with city driving.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
What's your definition of "good mileage" Copa? My neighbor has an '09 Rogue that she traded her Honda CRV and complains that she is barely getting 20 MPG and only mid-teens with city driving.
I get about 25 city and 32 highway in my Mazda 3. The Rogue is about 22 and 28. Your results may vary. Her daily commute round trip is about 10 miles.

So what happens when all cars are electric and there is no longer a gas tax? I'm just doing my part to keep the country running.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
I get about 25 city and 32 highway in my Mazda 3. The Rogue is about 22 and 28.
Mazda3 owners unite!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Mazda3 owners unite!
Oh, no! Is that a gay car?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Oh, no! Is that a gay car?
It's owned by chicks, gay guys, straight guys pretending to be gay to score chicks, and Copanuts everywhere!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
It's good that my generous is shying away from those horribly built hunks of shi*t, that's definitely something to be proud of! However, I do not see trucks or SUV's going away any time soon. Many of my peers drive trucks and desire SUV's for whatever reason. Although many people on here are very forward thinking, this is still America and we sure do love our big toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh