Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I agree, although I think it's a little of both. They wouldn't have bothered doing the study in the first place if they didn't want to figure out what people really wanted first and then provide it.
Yes, in retrospect my comment was a little too stark. My point was just that developers are operating in an environment where lots of other things besides consumer preferences affect their calculations, and they often try to sell consumers on a vision that they have predetermined makes sense for them economically. But consumer preferences aren't entirely irrelevant, and aren't completely subject to marketing pushes.

Quote:
Cities, suburbs, country towns--they're all good in my book, especially in Pittsburgh, where many of the close in neighborhoods are tight knit.
I agree people can get too caught up in the distinctions between central cities, suburbs, towns, and so forth. It would be a good thing if more people lived in places where they could walk or bike to more things, use transit for more things, and have shorter commutes. But all that can happen in all of central cities, suburbs, and towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I think that's correct, although (1) government policies also contributed to the concentration of subsidized and low-income in cities, which acts as a counter-balance to other advantages that cities might offer some residents; and (2) people don't always know what they "really want," so the distinction between supply-induced demand and what people "really want" can be a fine one.
Agreed on both points. Various policies combined to make cities less attractive to many people as residential areas, although fortunately many of those policies are being reversed these days. And people are indeed somewhat flexible in their preferences, and tend to adapt themselves to what they can afford.

The upshot is that not only is our current housing market not a free and natural dynamic between developers and consumers, but the very idea of such a market is probably impossible. What we can do, however, is think carefully about the totality of the consequences when determining the relevant policies.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Again, a minivan seems like the better answer, particularly for people in wheelchairs, given they come with sliding doors and lower floors.
Oh, I got it all wrong then. I think I don't know the difference between a minvan and SUV. Sorry! I drive a pontiac vibe and only in weekends to shopping and that's the biggest car I can manage to parallel park. And I hate to drive. Driving is a waste of time for me; time that could be spent doing something else. I'm glad i can take the bus/T to work nowadays.
My boyfriend does all the driving.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Default I know that place

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbfarm View Post
I don't fit the Gen Y demographic at all (I'm early Gen X by the numbers) but I want exactly the same type of housing situation that they supposedly do. I've been living on a farm for the past 15 years and now I want a row house with a skinny yard within walking distance of a park, coffee shop, library, and good Thai restaurant in a neighborhood that has lots of block parties. If I didn't EVER have to drive anywhere, that would be terrific, but if I can at least ride my bike everywhere, I would be happy. So it's not just a Gen Y thing, I think a lot of people are craving living spaces and layouts that make it easier to connect with others.
You've described my place, Palo Alto in the Mexican War Streets exactly.

FWIW, I'm early 30s with the wife and kid and dog and cat and we love our home and neighborhood. We fit this demographic ideal described in the article perfectly I think. I grew up on Long Island, in the heart of endless suburbia and have no desire to ever cut a lawn again. I get giddy if I don't move my car for a week. It's self perpetuating as well as I have far less patience for sitting in traffic than I used to.

While I certainly agree this smaller, urban lifestyle is not for everyone, I think increasingly it's for more of us and I think that was the real takeaway for me.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Quote:
...developers are operating in an environment where lots of other things besides consumer preferences affect their calculations, and they often try to sell consumers on a vision that they have predetermined makes sense for them economically. But consumer preferences aren't entirely irrelevant, and aren't completely subject to marketing pushes.
Wouldn't this be true for virtually every product or service offered in an economy? All markets are regulated to a certain extent by laws, industrial and moral standards, and commodity pricing. In that regard buying and selling homes is no different than buying and selling cars, batteries, or underwear.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
My point was just that developers are operating in an environment where lots of other things besides consumer preferences affect their calculations, and they often try to sell consumers on a vision that they have predetermined makes sense for them economically.
Ah, grasshopper, you are a wise one indeed. Sorry if I sound a little jaded, but I learned many decades ago that studies are often created by a company to help sell a product. Marketing 101. The best way to sell something is to release a study claiming that everyone else wants it.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 AM

Somewhat tangential, but a recent study found that pedestrian and bike infrastructure projects create more jobs per dollar than road projects:

Bike Lanes Create Twice As Many Jobs As Road Repair Work » INFRASTRUCTURIST

Old 01-18-2011, 09:02 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Wouldn't this be true for virtually every product or service offered in an economy?
Yup. Real estate developments are really no different from soft drinks or scotchtape. It's all about marketing, baby.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Wouldn't this be true for virtually every product or service offered in an economy? All markets are regulated to a certain extent by laws, industrial and moral standards, and commodity pricing. In that regard buying and selling homes is no different than buying and selling cars, batteries, or underwear.
Oh sure. My point isn't to single out housing as an industry affected by government policies, but rather to make sure we are conscious of how all these policies affect land-use and housing patterns.

But you'll frequently see people claiming that if developers are doing X, that must be because housing consumers want X. It isn't that simple, and in fact there is good evidence that for quite a while certain sorts of housing were being oversupplied, and other sorts undersupplied, which contributed to the recent housing crisis, which fed the financial crisis and subsequent recession. And there are the longer term issues involving the environment, energy, water, public health, and so on.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Quote:
...there is good evidence that for quite a while certain sorts of housing were being oversupplied, and other sorts undersupplied, which contributed to the recent housing crisis, which fed the financial crisis and subsequent recession. And there are the longer term issues involving the environment, energy, water, public health, and so on.
Very good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh