Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 03:48 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Recognizing that residential development patterns at any particular point in time reflect a mix of subsidies, regulations and land use policies, how do you assess this fairly?
There are a few different methods for identifying an undersupply. One is to do market surveys and such. For example, roughly speaking surveys have indicated that about 1/3 of people would strongly prefer the traditional post-WWII master-planned developments (larger lots, exclusive use, autocentric, etc.), about 1/3 of people would strongly prefer denser/walkable developments, and about 1/3 could go either way and are really more focused on other things (e.g., school quality). Note that this thread is about surveys which apparently indicate that a lot more than 1/3 of Gen Y in particular falls into the denser/walkable category, but we can hold that aside for the moment.

Given those survey results, you would expect around 1/3 to 1/2 of new developments to be in the denser/walkable category. But recently, such developments have been a WAY lower percentage than that. So that is indicative of an artificial undersupply.

Another approach is to look at pricing. There is no particular reason for denser/walkable developments to cost more per square foot to develop than less-dense/autocentric developments--if anything it should be the opposite. But in most urbanized areas, if you control for other factors, people are paying a significant per square foot premium for units in denser/walkable areas. Again, that is indicative of an undersupply. Note that recently this became WAY more apparent, as housing prices have typically crashed much more in low-density/autocentric exurbs than in higher-density/walkable areas, so the observable price premium greatly increased.

Quote:
but how would you engage in such an analysis now in Pittsburgh? I think it takes a bit more than a news article that generalizes as to the housing preferences of "Generation Y."
Well, that's the thing--I don't think Pittsburgh is as much in that situation as most metro areas. Like everywhere, in recent decades our new residential units have been strongly biased toward lower-density/autocentric developments. However, new units in general make up an atypically small portion of our housing mix--or, in other words, we have just about the on-average-oldest housing stock you will find in a major metro in the United States. This is a product of several factors, including the fact that recently our population has been relatively stagnant, and that our homes in previous eras were built in an unusually durable way (e.g., lots of brick), and that after some early mistakes we had a pretty active and well-funded preservationist movement, and so on. And you can see that in pricing too. This is changing a little bit, but housing in denser/walkable areas typically commands much less of a per square foot premium in Pittsburgh than it does in many other U.S. metros.

Going forward, it is possible we will run into some of the same supply problems as other places, although I am encouraged by the fact we are now developing new residential units in places like Downtown, East Liberty, and so on. Regardless, right now we don't have the same undersupply problems as most U.S. metros, and my point in the original post is that happens to position us well if it is true that Gen Y is going to be even more interested in finding such housing at a reasonable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
I ask in part because, in the DC area, it is very often folks from "Generation X" (born in the mid-60s and 70s) who buy SFHs in some of the outer suburbs. Of course, some do live in the city and closer-in suburbs, just as is the case with some Boomers like Jay5835, but many of them moved to outer suburbs for more or less the same reasons as many of their elders had moved to closer-in suburbs. . . .

Is it different in Pittsburgh? Maybe it's a more affordable housing market, so more "Generation X" types can afford closer-in suburbs like Mount Lebanon if they wish? I know Mount Lebanon is considered a really nice, close-in suburb of Pittsburgh, but a lot of folks from the DC area would consider it very affordable.
You've got it. To go anecdotal for a moment, my wife and I are a Gen X couple, and for a couple years circa 2007 I was living in DC while she was living in Pittsburgh (I had graduated from law school after a career change and was working for the DOJ). We looked at living both places, and we have a strong preference for historical/denser/walkable neighborhoods and short public transit commutes. The pricing of the neighborhoods we were looking at in DC as compared to Pittsburgh was prohibitive, even with the salary premium we could obtain in DC. That was one of the most significant factors in our deciding to end up in Pittsburgh rather than DC.

Quote:
It makes me think that, if "Generation Y" turns out to be radically different from their predecessors, which may or may not ultimately turn out to be the case, they will differentiate themselves not only from the Baby Boomers, but also from "Generation X."
I think Gen Y may be more urbanist than Gen X, but it is hard to tell because of these pricing issues. My friends who managed to buy starter homes in the relevant areas in cities like DC early enough were able to use their rising home equity to move up the ladder to some reasonable homes today. But those who didn't buy early enough are pretty much priced out of that market, and the housing price crash hasn't really brought price levels in the relevant areas down that much. You can't really read preferences out of a situation like that.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:17 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There are a few different methods for identifying an undersupply. One is to do market surveys and such. For example, roughly speaking surveys have indicated that about 1/3 of people would strongly prefer the traditional post-WWII master-planned developments (larger lots, exclusive use, autocentric, etc.), about 1/3 of people would strongly prefer denser/walkable developments, and about 1/3 could go either way and are really more focused on other things (e.g., school quality). Note that this thread is about surveys which apparently indicate that a lot more than 1/3 of Gen Y in particular falls into the denser/walkable category, but we can hold that aside for the moment.

Given those survey results, you would expect around 1/3 to 1/2 of new developments to be in the denser/walkable category. But recently, such developments have been a WAY lower percentage than that. So that is indicative of an artificial undersupply.
It may or may not be indicative of an artificial undersupply if those surveyed are simply expressing their preferences, but don't have the means to buy or rent. One would not necessarily expect developers to tailor their plans to meet the expressed preferences of 20-year-olds, if the 20-year-olds in question have no savings or present intention to buy or rent real estate, and 35-year-olds with a different set of preferences do. There is a difference between preference and demand.

The article does note that many of the members of "Generation Y" surveyed are in no hurry to have children - pretty much what you'd expect in a down economy. It actually sounds quite similar to Japan or Italy throughout the 1990s. Given that factor, and others that have been mentioned, it very well could turn out to be the case that many members of Generation X will gravitate toward central cities and/or stay there longer than prior generations.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Like I said. I sell that food to people for $20-30 an entree. I'm not the best in the world, but my food is better than everyone you know unless they work in a restaurant that can demand as many dollars on the menu. Our food has been compared to the best of Chicago or NYC. We're not as good as SALT, but we're better than many of the fine dining places in town. My parents are obese and would rather order a pizza than have me make something simple for them.
Who are "we"? What is the name of your restaurant? A friend wants to take me out for dinner "anywhere you want to go," so i want to go somewhere better than usual.

Also, did you see on the news last night that Le Cordon Bleu de Pittsburgh is closing? Did you study there?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpgh View Post
does anyone else see the possible change in our future ways of life to not really be a choice, but more of a forced reality.... at the risk of sounding like a dooms day guy ...i feel like it is a 100% fact that we will run out of fossil fuels on this earth IN OUR LIFETIME (I'm 33)
I don't know if they will entirely run out, but I think it is a good bet they will continue to get more expensive. And that alone is likely to be transformative.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
It may or may not be indicative of an artificial undersupply if those surveyed are simply expressing their preferences, but don't have the means to buy or rent.
Again, the surveys I am talking about here are not limited to Gen Y, and I don't think there was any particular correlation between people in the urban/walkable category and lack of means. In fact there is no obvious reason why such a correlation would exist, and it isn't consistent with the observed premium being paid for such housing.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 AM

By the way, I googled up one study (this is from 2009):