Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I see out-of-state license plates on the roads here frequently.
Yeah, drug deals. Just kidding, I hope all of Pgh rebounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That is a shame. But it is another sign of how lazy, apathetic and downright greedy so many of us are when we feel we are above public transportation and simply *need* a car.
Not sure where you're coming from, but I have a home office and probably have a much smaller carbon footprint than you.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:18 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I think previous generations felt the same way about older generations, only to revert to many of the ways of previous generations with only some changes in the end from the last generation.
Sometimes there is continuity, sometimes there isn't. In general, there has been a steady trend of people moving out of rural areas and into urbanized areas (including cities and suburbs), a trend which dates back to the founding of the country. After WWII, there was a real shift of population out of central cities and into suburbs, particularly of white people during the Civil Rights Era. Recently, in some metros there has been a shift again as some central cities have seen an increase in more young children, more affluent people, and more white people, whereas some suburbs have seen an increase in poverty rates, non-whites, immigrants, and so on.

So I don't think we can always assume each generation will follow the last. Sometimes population trends undergo significant change, and we may (may not) be in the midst of such a change.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Not sure where you're coming from, but I have a home office and probably have a much smaller carbon footprint than you.

Ok.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:25 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Sometimes there is continuity, sometimes there isn't. In general, there has been a steady trend of people moving out of rural areas and into urbanized areas (including cities and suburbs), a trend which dates back to the founding of the country. After WWII, there was a real shift of population out of central cities and into suburbs, particularly of white people during the Civil Rights Era. Recently, in some metros there has been a shift again as some central cities have seen an increase in more young children, more affluent people, and more white people, whereas some suburbs have seen an increase in poverty rates, non-whites, immigrants, and so on.

So I don't think we can always assume each generation will follow the last. Sometimes population trends undergo significant change, and we may (may not) be in the midst of such a change.
I do agree there is a change that has been coming around, but I don't think it will happen over night unless gas prices would soar to the point where commuting from the suburbs to the city will take up a large amount of a person's expenses. I think suburbs here (especially the older ones just outside of the city limits) may do better than in a lot of other cities because of relatively short commute times that people here enjoy and the large amount of park and ride lots/ the T in the South Hills make taking public transportation fairly viable to some.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
I can safely say that the majority of my peers (I'm 24) who lived in NoVA found the typical non-walkable suburban surroundings we had to be abhorrent,
You knew the majority of 24 year olds in Northern Virginia? How can you "safely say" you know what they think?

By the way, Reston gets a very high score on walkscore.com. I'm sorry you were unhappy there, but I can't think of any store there that doesn't have sidewalks, trails, or both leading to it. I'll be more than happy to post photos if you'd like proof.

Last edited by Caladium; 01-17-2011 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 05:40 PM

If someone works in Cranberry, should they move to the city? I've always lived within a 15 minute drive from where I worked, hate wasting time, not everyone works downtown or along a PAT route to get them to work.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Does she have a sister?
How about a much younger brother?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
Quote:
If someone works in Cranberry, should they move to the city? I've always lived within a 15 minute drive from where I worked, hate wasting time, not everyone works downtown or along a PAT route to get them to work.
Good point, what if someone worked in Canonsburg?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
How about a much younger brother?
I was going to say that, but the PC factor took over. I figured you wouldn't mind.

Damn, missed a good line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh