Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Otherwise continue to debate me with civility instead of personally attacking me. Thanks.
That's a pretty defensive and aggressive responses. Please feel free to point out where I have personally attacked you. I have been quite civil in expressing why I said what I did, which was at your request.

My opinions are 1) this thread is in violation of the TOS of the board because it is advertising; 2) I think that you post too many details of your life (much moreso than anyone else on here). I do not care to read them and it makes this board much less enjoyable for me.

And the concept of "ignore" on a message board is lacking in actual functionality - users quote other people all of the time and it negates the purpose of "ignore". So as a general rule, I personally don't employ this concept on message boards.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
I believe I've told you several times that I'm not comfortable with you posting personal details about me on this forum, but if you're going to do so, at least be accurate. Caladium works for our family business, but she works for my son, not me. I'm retired.

Last edited by normie; 01-20-2011 at 09:47 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
That's a pretty defensive and aggressive responses.
The defensive response was rebutting an aggressive reply.

Quote:
My opinions are 1) this thread is in violation of the TOS of the board because it is advertising; 2) I think that you post too many details of your life (much moreso than anyone else on here). I do not care to read them and it makes this board much less enjoyable for me.
You are certainly entitled to your opinions; however, be advised I will rebut where I feel I should.

1.) This thread is NOT advertising. I singled out one business. While I commended them for a generous act towards me in the past and indicated this was the motivating factor as to why I selected them I did admit I had never employed their services before and wanted to hear feedback from anyone who had (apparently nobody has, though, but I digress). I also wanted to know the first name of the male stylist I was describing, if possible, in case he was more experienced in cutting the hair of the limited male clientele they may have had (I also inquired about the gender ratio of customers). If this is blatant advertising then I want Yac to play "fair" and delete every thread on City-Data that discusses businesses, including our restaurant review thread and the "sticky" thread on the NoVA sub-forum about business recommendations/experiences.

2.) We've already established that you don't care to hear anything about my life. As I said don't read it then. I can tell you so much about just about anyone on City-Data right now through reading their profiles, connecting with them on Facebook, and just regurgitating all I've read about them over the years I've been on here. Obviously you don't like ME in particular. Do I care? No. Many people on here don't like me. I don't like many people on here.

Quote:
And the concept of "ignore" on a message board is lacking in actual functionality - users quote other people all of the time and it negates the purpose of "ignore". So as a general rule, I personally don't employ this concept on message boards.
Well then broach this subject with Yac, markablue, or the Administrator, suggesting that a new option be made available so that "ignore" will ALSO hide any quoted replies from that person by other members.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I believe I've told you several times that I'm not comfortable with you posting personal details about me on this forum, but if you're going to do so, at least be accurate. Caladium works for my son, not me. I'm retired.
If you're not comfortable in others posting personal information about yourself on the Internet, then please don't post personal information about yourself on the Internet, where it becomes common knowledge. Problem solved. For as much as people say they know "too much" about ME in particular people could easily say the same thing about you or a wide variety of other members. You, Normie, have posted everything I stated about you right here on City-Data---I didn't need to dig it up from elsewhere on the Internet. I personally am a very open and honest person who has no qualms with people knowing anything about me they'd like to know. As an aspiring future politician I think that's a good trait to have to have such an open-door policy with constituents.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Posting information about me that I didn't myself share on that forum is a violation of the TOS. So is posting satellite photos of people's homes. And, saying that you have the ability to do so can be interpreted as threatening.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:06 AM

398 posts, read 702,107 times
Quote:
What's wrong with interjecting details about your personal life into the forum? I know BrianTH has a four-year-old son, lives in the Wilkinsburg section of Regent Square, is married, attended college in Connecticut, was born in Michigan, and rides the East Busway to his Downtown office. I know AlleghenyAngel grew up in Michigan, bought his home in Stowe Township for $10,000, has a passion for championing neighborhoods others often overlook due to undeserved nefarious reputations, and is gay.
These are not counter-examples to the point that you want to make.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Posting information about me that I didn't myself share on that forum is a violation of the TOS. So is posting satellite photos of people's homes. And, saying that you have the ability to do so can be interpreted as threatening.
1.) You (not me) posted this information over the years here on City-Data. As I said I didn't magically find this information out elsewhere. If someone were to come on here and say that, through this forum, they've determined I drive a Mazda3, love Chick-Fil-A, love hockey, live in Polish Hill, grew up in Scranton, am gay, etc., etc. I wouldn't be offended because if I hadn't intended for anyone to ever know any of that personal information about myself I wouldn't have shared it in the first place. If you don't want people to know these personal things about you, then why post them? I think it would be inappropriate for people to post things on here that are exclusively on my Facebook account and vice-versa (which HAS occurred). If you're creeped out that I know so much about you, then why did you share it all in the first place?

2.) Where did I post satellite photos of someone's home? Where did I threaten to do so? I said I could. Would I ever do that? Of course not! That's just completely out-of-line and potentially criminally liable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
These are not counter-examples to the point that you want to make.
The original point I wanted to make was just inquiring about this one particular beauty salon. For the record I just returned from my appointment and had a great time. We all bonded like a small family, and I now have a nickname, too. She did a great job with my hair. It's not against the TOS to give a positive review to a business or to inquire about one (which is what I initially did before it was misconstrued by a few who don't like me and wanted to nitpick, but I digress).

The secondary point was Normie getting angry with me for violating her privacy. She violated her own privacy by sharing all of that to begin with here on City-Data, and I still don't understand why she'd be mad at me for simply regurgitating things she's already disclosed. Once you post something on the Internet it goes viral. I have no doubt that some people probably know exactly which home is mine, given they know what type of car I drive, what state I moved here from, etc. That doesn't bother me.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
2.) Where did I post satellite photos of someone's home? Where did I threaten to do so? I said I could. Would I ever do that? Of course not! That's just completely out-of-line and potentially criminally liable.
I'm glad to hear you realize that. I must admit that when I saw your remark about satellite photos I felt my fur rise. Saying you "could" do something without immediately adding "but I wouldn't" is a threat, IMO, and one I'd believe because it wasn't that long ago someone posted satellite photos of my street and made some pretty nasty comments. One thing I'll give that person credit for was that he didn't post my name at the time, but it felt like a personal attack anyway. And yes, for anyone who is curious, it was decided that it was a violation of the TOS. Among other things, those are copyrighted images.

As far as the idea that it's ok to go rooting around other city-data forums to find personal information about fellow posters and then post it on the Pittsburgh forum, I think that's BS. Whether or not the information is embarrassing, it comes across as a power play. I would very much like to have Yac weigh in on whether or not it's a violation of the TOS.

As I read it, the TOS says posting information about other posters that they did not themselves share on a specific forum is a violation. In other words, you cannot discuss personal information about someone on the Pittsburgh Forum that was posted in the Health forum. You can only discuss things that person said in the Pittsburgh Forum.

In particular, posting someone's medical information is crossing a line, IMO. That's just not something you post about another person, especially if they haven't chosen to post about it themselves.

Let me put it this way:

A few years ago, I had kidney surgery. To show support and give information to others facing this surgery I went on the Health Forum and posted some intimate side effects that can happen as a result of this surgery. Should I expect that the next time RR wants to show he has "dirt" on other people he will start posting about my UTI's? Really???????? That does not seem in keeping with the spirit of this forum.

Last edited by Caladium; 01-20-2011 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
74 "views" and not one reply? Wow. I guess 74 other people were just curious about Darlene's Hair Salon too!
What did you expect? We were all going to run over to Darlene's for a haircut or mani/pedis, just so we could tell you what the place is like? And get more info about the guy who works there?

As I write this, I've already read the responses you've gotten, especially the ones dealing with your propensity to share more details of your life than most of us do. I'm not as bothered by it as whoever complained. If you want to do that, fine. Tell us all you want about you. But I have to say I'm a little bothered by the degree of detail you brought us about that employee. I'm not going to get any more specific. You know what I mean. You know this all gets googled.

You're obviously able to write, Paul. And you have a well-developed sense of what's dramatic (and I mean that in a good way). Why don't you make something of that ability, and write a novel? A play. A blog, even, if fiction's not your thing. With a little editing, you'd have something publishable or producible without that much effort, in not that much time. You obviously have stories you want to tell.

Didn't you point out the other day that you have the most posts of anyone on city-data? You could have written something you could sell by this point, if you hadn't spent so much time on online fora. Do something with your talent, already, instead of wasting so much of it online. I really mean this.

If you think you don't have time, get up earlier. Or stay up later. I think you have it in you.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
Quote:
What's wrong with interjecting details about your personal life into the forum? I know BrianTH has a four-year-old son, lives in the Wilkinsburg section of Regent Square, is married, attended college in Connecticut, was born in Michigan, and rides the East Busway to his Downtown office. I know AlleghenyAngel grew up in Michigan, bought his home in Stowe Township for $10,000, has a passion for championing neighborhoods others often overlook due to undeserved nefarious reputations, and is gay. I know Normie has battled cancer, is in the neighborhood of being 70, lived at various times in Ohio, Southern California, and Northern Georgia, in addition to her current Cascades subdivision in Loudoun County, Northern Virginia, and has operated her own business. I know Caladium works (has worked?) for Normie and lives in the same community of Sterling after a stint in Herndon. I know Denton56 has a son in his 20s who lived across the street from me back in Reston. I know so much about so many people on here and could even point out on satellite imagery where some of their homes are. When you've posted beside these people for years you begin to develop a cyber-bond towards them. Why is it okay to learn about the personal lives of everyone else but myself? If you don't like me then put me on "ignore". Problem solved. Otherwise continue to debate me with civility instead of personally attacking me. Thanks.
OMG!!! Who gave you permission to post all this personal stuff?!! How DARE you post those personal details, particularly about Normie! It's one thing for people to post about themselves, but not for you or anyone else to post this stuff! We do NOT have a relationship, cyber, or otherwise! Please do NOT post ANYTHING about me or my family! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh