Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Well, before I emmigrated to America I had this guide to help with learning Pittsburgh.
http://wpweb2.tepper.cmu.edu/rlang/EconConf/2008%20Survival%20Guide%20to%20Pittsburgh%20(2).pd f

The things I like to do when family visits from Europe:

- show them the view from Mt. Washington - at night!
- have brunch/lunch/dinner at Penn brewery/station sq/hofbrau
- visit the Cathedral of learning: tour the nationalities rooms, with emphasis on where they are from -we are from all over
- take them shopping at Waterfront

As far as the museums go, if they are musem going type I'd take them there only if they want. In general they visit other big cities like NY or DC and our museums are much smaller in size than the ones in the afore mentioned cities. Of course Wharol is unique but nobody in my family is into it.

Science center, aviary, zoo, kennywood, sandcastle - like places in general they have these where they're coming from, therefore I'm trying to point out things that are unique, aka cathedral of learning, waterfront, st. sq and alike. Of course they have german beer too, but you can;t have enough of it.

Oh, and did I mention the Church brewery? They were quite amazed by it.
Just out of curiosity, what's so unique about the Waterfront?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt4579 View Post
The Strip District if its a Saturday mid-morning or early afternoon (even if not Saturday grab breakfast at one of the somewhat famous diners up there), if its open stop in Immaculate Heart of Mary Church on Polish Hill (its like stepping in the time machine to 1905 in there), been mentioned before but the walk along the North Shore in the evening is always nice, tour one of the stadiums (if they have that during the winter months), take the Gateway Clipper, hit up Point State Park (and possibly the French and Indian War museum), shop at Macy's (formerly Kaufman's) downtown, stop in at Primanti's or the Oyster House in Market Square, catch a sporting event if you can (Pens game or Pitt basketball), visit Oakland with the Cathedral, Soldiers and Sailors and the Forbes Field wall and stop in at Uncle Sam's subs for some grub while you're there.......

I could go on, there's far too much.
There are Macy's nationwide. I'd bag Macy's to spend more time in some of the other places in this post.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:14 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's so unique about the Waterfront?
I could see where it might be interesting to someone from Europe; but if you're visiting from elsewhere in the US it's definitely not anything special. I mean the old steel mill structures are a little neat, but don't merit a trip on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh