Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times

Advertisements

When the Pens are winning, the fans aren't as in your face about it and the players are more humble. As opposed to the Steelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I think that's the closest we have to a gaybohood. Two gay bars (5801 and Spin) and numerous gay owned businesses (not necessarily gay stores though.)

There isn't really a feel of a gayborhood in Pittsburgh because the bars, businesses and our homes are spread throughout the city.
Exactly - Pittsburgh LGBT's community doesnt segregate their lives to a single neighborhood in the city. They're well integrated throughout the city.

Shadyside
Lawrenceville
Bloomfield
Squirrel Hill
Mexican War Streets
Polish Hill
Highland Park
Downtown
Southside
Mt Washington
Regent Square

Love It!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Will people PLEASE stop illegally turning left from westbound Penn Avenue into the side entrance of the Giant Eagle Shopping Center parking lot at Shady & Penn in East Liberty? I was driving eastbound on Penn after just turning from northbound Shady and was met with a gold-colored GMC Envoy SUV blocking both lanes of eastbound Penn because fellow illegal turners in front of it had stopped. To make matters worse as soon as this mess fianlly cleared an old junker car KNOWINGLY cut me off (as the occupants laughed) to follow the Envoy via a super-duper illegal Pittsburgh left. There is a very visible sign that shows a left turn arrow with a slash through it, indicating no left turn into that entrance of the lot. If I'm not allowed to turn left from our rear loading area onto East Liberty Boulevard (a pointless "no left turn" sign at that), then why do the police permit so many to turn left illegally from westbound Penn into the side entrance of Giant Eagle? Is it really THAT hard for people to turn left at the light at Shady Avenue and then turn left at the next light at Ellsworth & Shady into the parking lot?

Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Will people PLEASE stop illegally turning left from westbound Penn Avenue into the side entrance of the Giant Eagle Shopping Center parking lot at Shady & Penn in East Liberty?
My friend did that just this morning. He suddenly realized he needed something at that Giant Eagle, right after we pulled out of the Trader Joe parking lot.

Quote:
I was driving eastbound on Penn after just turning from northbound Shady and was met with a gold-colored GMC Envoy SUV blocking both lanes of eastbound Penn because fellow illegal turners in front of it had stopped. To make matters worse as soon as this mess fianlly cleared an old junker car KNOWINGLY cut me off (as the occupants laughed) to follow the Envoy via a super-duper illegal Pittsburgh left.
That definitely wasn't us. He would not have cut you off, nor block two lanes.

Quote:
There is a very visible sign that shows a left turn arrow with a slash through it, indicating no left turn into that entrance of the lot. If I'm not allowed to turn left from our rear loading area onto East Liberty Boulevard (a pointless "no left turn" sign at that), then why do the police permit so many to turn left illegally from westbound Penn into the side entrance of Giant Eagle?
You're right.

Quote:
Is it really THAT hard for people to turn left at the light at Shady Avenue and then turn left at the next light at Ellsworth & Shady into the parking lot?
I don't drive, so I can't say. You're right, though, about the thing in general.

This kind of leans on one of your other recent topics. Perhaps if this area really were the Gayborhood, he would live there and be as familiar with the signage as you are (I take it this is where you work). He lives in the N. Hills, though. He and his husband have told me a few times that if Pittsburgh had a Gayborhood, they would be happy to live there, but since no such place exists, they choose to save 3% in taxes and not live in the city of Pgh.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,752 times
I don't get why gays think they need some special community.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I don't get why gays think they need some special community.
Do you think we enjoy accidentally hitting on straight guys any more than you straight guys enjoy getting hit on by embarrassed gay guys?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:33 PM

It doesn't bother me in the slightest to be hit on by a gay guy. At least SOMEONE'S noticing me.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I can understand an transplants disdain for 24/7 Steeler nation and to be honest I never saw what all the fuss was about until I lived in Philadelphia (just as passionate)....not just the Big cities, but PA as whole is all about Sports....The people of PA love their sports and that comes from having such a blue collar background.

Also not to mention for so long thru the steel days and the steel bust, the Steelers were the only bright side that Pittsburghers had to look forward to....the team is such a representation for the city and mindset back then...

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are both top 5 sport cities, that's never going to change.
Football is the number one sport in the country. PA is nearly as rabid about it as Texas. Pittsburgh has always been wild for the Steelers! Transplants will just have to learn to accept that!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:10 AM

Football is overrated.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:09 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Back on topic folks, please. 5 likes and dislikes.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh