Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:01 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times

Advertisements

If Fort Worth were a suburb of Dallas, they wouldn't have such contrasting cultures. Fort Worth and Dallas are two distinct cities 30 miles apart that have grown together with their suburbs. Dallas is more of a southern city, while Fort Worth is more of a Western or Southwestern city. They are not only two separate cities, they are somewhat rival cities. I grew up in Fort Worth and now live in Dallas. I personally love both cities, but they are as different as they are similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjeff View Post
A city is defined by much more than sports... As I mentioned, FW is home to Texas Moter Speedway, PGA Colonial and TCU. However, it is only a 20 minute train ride to AAC if you care to see the Mavs or the Stars. I also mentioned that Cowboys Stadium and Rangers Ballpark are closer to FW than D. BUT, there are a lot more cultural things to do in FW than Dallas... You coming for the Super Bowl and like things other than sports? Check out Sundance Square... Mama Mia at Bass Hall or Evita at Casa Manana.
Kimbell Art Museum, Amon Carter, Modern Art Museum, Museum of Science and History - Dallas has been the big sister for a long time but the tables are turning. Dallas is quickly becoming the city of illegal immagrants. There is a major influx of residents from Cali and Florida moving to FW. We are still building houses here. I am not FW's ambassador but h_curtis you have either never been here or are from Dallas. Fort Worth's downtown rocks and even though Dallas has a larger skyline there is no activity after rush hour unless you want to be accosted by the homeless... FW is safe and clean!

And ESPN picked FW for ESPN The Magazine's Next Party which features A-list celebs and athletes. Kid Rock is performing and Snoop Dog and Nelly are hosting the red carpet. Enjoy!

Why does it never fail that Fort Worth people can't talk up their own city without making up lies about Dallas. Do you feel that Fort Worth isn't good enough to stand up to Dallas on its own merits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:57 PM

119 posts, read 215,461 times
Dallas was founded in 1841 as a trading post. Fort Worth was founded in 1849 as an army outpost. At the time, it would take you a solid day's travel on a fast horse to get from one to the other. Over time, each city grew and gradually the entire area grew into one giant metropolis - we collectively call it the DFW Metroplex.

So......Steelers fans, welcome to the DFW Metroplex! We hope you enjoy your stay and y'all come back now, ya hear?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunebloc View Post

So......Steelers fans, welcome to the DFW Metroplex! We hope you enjoy your stay and y'all come back now, ya hear?
We thank yinz for your gracious southern hospitality n'at. Go Stillers!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:55 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
I just want to point out that whether Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas or not is irrelevant to the topic. If you want to discuss this, head on to the Texas forum, I'm sure the locals will love a topic like this :PP
But here - it's completely off topic.
Yac.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I just want to point out that whether Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas or not is irrelevant to the topic. If you want to discuss this, head on to the Texas forum, I'm sure the locals will love a topic like this :PP
But here - it's completely off topic.
Yac.
It most certainly can be very relevant. Especially for those Steeler fans that may be coming here for the Super Bowl. They would be in for a HUGE surprise if they booked a room in a place far from the actual event(s). Or not realize that they are indeed two seperate cities and that the game is actually not being played IN Dallas. I think it would be very nice to know just how far apart these places really are in advance and that they are indeed two completely different cities.

They need to know that while the NFL Experience will be in downtown Dallas at the Dallas Convention Center .............. ESPN is going to be broadcasting live from Sundance Square in downtown Ft Worth. It will be impossible to be at these two events in less than an hour and if they are depending on public transit they are going to have to find out which TRE (mass transit of Tarrant County where Ft Worth is) and DART (mass transit for Dallas and the Dallas suburbs) are located and where the two connect. There are actually three suburbs (that are cities in their own rights) that seperate Dallas and Ft Worth: Irving, Grand Prarie and Arlington. Getting between Fort Worth and Dallas without ones own transportation is not easy and even if one does come in and rents a car to have they need to know that the two major cities are seperated by a great deal.

Oh well....................

Last edited by momof2dfw; 01-27-2011 at 08:19 AM..

Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 PM

277 posts, read 696,305 times
Do y'all reallly say yinz in the Burgh?

Welcome to Fort Worth, Steeler Nation | Fort Worth Weekly - News, Entertainment, Restaurants, Music

Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Only the uneducated.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Do y'all reallly say yinz in the Burgh?
"Yinz" is actually derived from "you ones" in much the same way "y'all" is derived from "you all". Phrases like that answer the problem of English not having a dedicated second-person plural pronoun (yet another variation is "you guys"). "You ones"/"Yinz" is Scots-Irish in origin, reflecting their role in the early history of European settlement in the Pittsburgh area.

I'm not from Pittsburgh originally, so I don't use it. But I don't think people who do so in casual conversation should be ashamed of it, any more than people who say "y'all" in casual conversation.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I use yinz jokingly. Some people who never learned to talk correctly use it for real. True, it's no different from y'all, which, having grown up in an area where I sometimes heard that, I also use jokingly.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
[quote=BrianTH;17606056
I'm not from Pittsburgh originally, so I don't use it. But I don't think people who do so in casual conversation should be ashamed of it, any more than people who say "y'all" in casual conversation.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I use yinz jokingly. Some people who never learned to talk correctly use it for real. True, it's no different from y'all, which, having grown up in an area where I sometimes heard that, I also use jokingly.
Sorry, life long Pgher here, only the lazy and uneducated say yinz, along with I seen and he don't.

Certain parts of Pittsburghese I have no problem with, but those three, no way n'at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh