Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Whenever I visit a city I like to check out the bridges. I'd guess Pittsburgh has some interesting ones. Which ones would you recommend for a visitor?

Which ones are your favorite and least favorite?

Also, please note why (such as having a nice view, needing repairs, cool artwork, being a great shortcut, having congested traffic, or whatever.) In particular I'd like to know which bridges are in need of a lot of repair work right now, since that makes me a little nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
I don't like driving across any of them and the Fort Pitt Bridge is scary and intimidating!! Too much goin' on.

I guess the least intimidating bridge for me is the Birmingham Bridge because of its wide lanes.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Definitely the Swinburne Bridge for the following reasons:

1.)Not many people know of it

2.)It provides a great route from Oakland to Southside

3.)It provides a great route to Big Jims

The most aesthetically appealing to me is probably the Smithfield Street Bridge.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
The West End Bridge is a beauty and offers the best view of Downtown - from the rivers. Of course the Smithfield Street Bridge is one of the oldest and is a nice walk.

There are Soooo many cool bridges to see in the area. Here is a site dedicated to the Bridges and Tunnels in Allegheny County. Bridges and Tunnels of Allegheny County and Pittsburgh, PA - pghbridges.com

Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
The Smithfield Street Bridge is an historic one --

Downtown: Bridges: Smithfield Street

I like the Westinghouse Bridge for its size and height. It's probably more impressive looking at the bridge from down in the valley then from on the bridge itself, though you can get a view of downtown from on the bridge.

George Westinghouse Memorial Bridge - Bridges and Tunnels of Allegheny County and Pittsburgh, PA

My least favorite is the Liberty Bridge. Ironically, it's probably the one I drive on most often. But, it's similar in build to the bridge that collapsed in Minneapolis, so I think of that too often...

Liberty Bridge - Bridges and Tunnels of Allegheny County and Pittsburgh, PA

Old 01-28-2011, 07:35 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Favorite

Sister Bridges
Smithfield
West End
10th
16th
Liberty

Least favorite
31st
40th
High Level
Rankin
Vets
Highland Park

Old 01-28-2011, 07:38 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,524 times
My least favorite of all the bridges in Pittsburgh is the Birmingham Bridge. I don't like its ugly green color, which has over the years faded to an even uglier green color. Not to mention they can't keep people from spraying graffiti all over it, so it just feels like a dumpy bridge to me.

The structure of the Veteran's Bridge is nothing to write home about, but the views you get of the city when you cross it are awesome, so I actually like this bridge. I also like the Liberty Bridge for the same reason.

The Three Sisters are very beautiful bridges, and I love the feel you get when you cross them heading into the city, it makes Pittsburgh feel very metropolitan. Also, they are noted for being the only three identical bridges in the world.

The 16th Street Bridge is a beautiful bridge, I love the design of it, as well as the beautiful bronze sculptures on all four corners.

The Smithfield Bridge is beautiful, and is cool because it was designed by Roebling, the designer of the Brooklyn Bridge. It's also nice at night as they've lit the bridge with some decorative lights.

I also love the structure of the West End Bridge, it is so tall! It also, like most bridges in Pittsburgh, provides great views of the city.

And, you can't beat the amazing view you get of the city when entering the city over the Fort Pitt Bridge. It just pops at you as soon as you exit the tunnel.

Really, you can't go wrong just exploring all of Pittsburgh's bridges!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
Pittsburgh is kind of Nirvana for bridge engineers. There's a national bridge convention that's held here every couple of years and you can see them out touring and taking pictures. I think Pittsburgh has an example of almost all types of bridge construction except true suspension (Golden Gate Bridge type).

My favorites:

Smithfield Street
West End
Westinghouse
Three Sisters
Sixteenth Street
Tenth Street
McKees Rocks (almost a mile long!)
Ft. Pitt - for the view coming into the city

I absolutely hate the Veterans Bridge. No style at all.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 AM

264 posts, read 492,532 times
The Smithfield Street Bridge is a must-see because of the historical and aesthetic value it has. My favorite is probably the Hot Metal though because every time I drive over it I imagine the purpose it once served.

Homestead hi-level is another cool one, although the best view is from below (visit the Waterfront shopping complex which is situated underneath) and if you feel like taking a journey outside the city, the Joe Montana Bridges on Interstate 43 are the highest you'll find in the region.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
For bridge structure, I like the 16th Street especially, for some reason. Smithfield Street is a good one though for its historic design that has been pretty much erased from everywhere else.

For view there's nothing better than going through the Ft Pitt Tunnel and onto the Ft Pitt Bridge. That whole "Now you don't see it, now you DO!" effect is still cool even after seeing it probably a couple hundred times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh