Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKv6RcXa2UI

^ Pretty much the story of how Wal-Mart started a chain-reaction of the decline of the manufacturing sector in this nation.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
I generally can't bring myself to go into Walmart either. I set foot in one a couple years ago, after going a few years without, and even leaving aside any other policies of the company I'm always reminded of why I don't go in there as soon as I walk in. I haven't found myself lacking for anything, so I think I will continue to not go there.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
May be I misunderstood you, but you make it sound like products from Chinese is a bad thing...
Do you think toothpaste made in China with diethylene glycol (a poisonous chemical used in antifreeze) is a good thing?
The FDA didn't....

Old 01-29-2011, 04:58 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,387 times
I am one of the odd ones. Wal Mart is really the only place (wherever I may be) that I do any shopping in a brick & mortar store, otherwise it's Ebay!! I rarely go to a mall or other big box store, maybe once or twice a year.

Yeah, you gotta watch the prices sometimes as you may find it cheaper elsewhere (grocery store 2 day special sale), but for the most part, they're right in line.

Now as far as the clientele that shop/hang out at WalMart, for the most part, I can do without 90% of them. I usually shop in the wee overnight hours when you can have the store pretty much to yourself without the wackos.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:05 PM

115 posts, read 186,205 times
I'm part of the "avoid Walmart" crowd.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:43 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
After watching the documentary "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" back in 2005 I, too, never shop there.
I have spent $9 in my life in Walmart, for a POS "Discman," on Thanksgiving night 2000. It was the first time I went there, and I have not been back since.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:07 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Better idea for a thread: don't shop at Wal-Mart.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:17 PM
igo

39 posts, read 134,777 times
I worked at this exact store (2281) in 2007. I really didn't feel like I or any other employee was treated bad. I mean it isn't the greatest job in the world but it was ok for 6 months.

Wal-mart and McDonald's always get the most backlash because they are so big and an easy target. But really most nationwide chains have similar practices.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:52 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,452 times
Shop at Walmart!! Do YOUR part to make sure that the USA is owned by China. Now that's what I call freedom of consumption.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,822 times
Wslave, I'm not sure why you think Corporate cares. They don't. All cost-saving mandates come from them. It's why workers in states with poor weather can freeze in the winter and melt in the summer, the thermostat is controlled in Arkansas to make sure the local managers aren't using 'unnecessary utilities.' The store is lucky they even still have any full-time employees left. When I still worked at Walmart a couple of years ago (not in Pittsburgh, but in Oregon), no new people were being made full-time aside from high-level management. And they found excuses to fire anyone who had been there too long. People making 8.50 an hour are considered quite replaceable, and customers like the prices too much to stop going there because of poor customer service.

Walmart workers who rely on the bonuses are pretty much crazy, in my opinion. At my store, we either didn't get the bonus or they'd be crazy low. They'd find an excuse to screw everyone out of them. TLE workers, many of whom were put back there with no training, would screw up a car, and the whole store would lose the bonus that quarter to pay for it. Some moron walked around the wall of wet floor signs intentionally and fell on their butt? Lost the bonus. Too many shoplifters that quarter that no one's allowed to do anything about? Lost the bonus. I'm shocked that any store ever gets their bonuses.

As for myself, when I was in the progress of moving to Pittsburgh, I tried to get the manager there to help me get a transfer to a Pittsburgh-area store, as the previous manager had always made sure that good people got their transfers done smoothly. My attendance record was spotless, all of my performance reports were nearly straight through "exceeds,"... and all I got from the manager was "I don't help people do that, get a job on your own." Oh okay. I now make more money than he does. Anyone who is unhappy working for them should be putting in their applications elsewhere, and for those for whom it's an option... learn a trade, get an education, try anything else but working in the service industry for the rest of your life. It can work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh