Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:38 PM

136 posts, read 689,453 times

Advertisements

montana. everyone uses wifi now how would you avoid it in a city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 12:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinePointSix View Post
Unfortunately, I just found out that Shadyside has an extensive WiFi network. Since I've seen data indicating that there may be a correlation between WiFi and increased cancer risk, I am seriously rethinking my move. Are there any similar areas I could consider?
I would think that any of the better city neighborhoods would all have extensive WiFi networks, NinePointSix.

Some quick google searches reveal that Squirrel Hill has also become wifi enabled.

Downtown, North Shore and The Lower Hill District are also fully wifi networked.

If you're renting property, you might escape the wifi network over the next year in Bloomfield perhaps.

If you're buying property, the city areas will most likely be networked first; therefore, you'd probably avoid living in a network area longest if you bought property in the further suburbian areas.

Proto's right. You probably won't be able to avoid wifi for very long.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:02 AM

83 posts, read 247,960 times
Is it the wireless network itself, or the devices sending and receiving that are possibly creating a problem?

Old 08-02-2007, 07:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
I've never heard about it. From what little I bothered to read via my google search, apparently, it's a wireless network that is on telephone poles throughout the city neighborhoods that have wifi. It basically makes the entire neighborhood a "hot spot" where any wireless device can be used in that area. I recall hearing a while back that the actual signals in the air while devices are being used may cause cancer. There are claims that any WLANs pose this threat (wireless networks at schools, businesses, homes, etc.) So, while there have always been claims that the actual devices may cause cancer, there are also claims that the networks themselves cause cancer too.

There's no definitive information on many cancer risks associated with technology today. The cellular and wifi technology is so new (from a scientific study standpoint) that people haven't been exposed to it long enough for accurate determinations to be made. However, I personally think it's very likely these suspicions are are possible since people who live under high power electrical lines have an extremely high rate of cancer. Although different from cellular and wifi networks, I would NEVER choose to live in a home with the new wireless electricity where everything requiring electricity is wireless. As for wifi networks, I've never even thought about it until reading this thread.

Here are short articles on the matter:

Pro: BBC NEWS | Programmes | Panorama | Wi-Fi: a warning signal

Con: WiFi Does Not Cause Cancer - Associated Content

Old 08-02-2007, 11:21 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinePointSix View Post
Unfortunately, I just found out that Shadyside has an extensive WiFi network. Since I've seen data indicating that there may be a correlation between WiFi and increased cancer risk, I am seriously rethinking my move. Are there any similar areas I could consider?
For every study that claims that there "may" be a link between wireless networks and cancer, you'll find another study (or two) that claims there is NO link between the two. It'll drive you nuts if you let it.

So, here's the thing: with cell phones, wifi, bluetooth, WLANs, etc., etc., you're going to get hit with radio waves. Here's what I believe: the stress you put on yourself worrying about them is more likely to be harmful to you than the signals themselves.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:27 PM

21 posts, read 125,673 times
"So, here's the thing: with cell phones, wifi, bluetooth, WLANs, etc., etc., you're going to get hit with radio waves. Here's what I believe: the stress you put on yourself worrying about them is more likely to be harmful to you than the signals themselves."

For me and you, I'm sure you're right; for little kids, I'm not so sure...

Old 08-02-2007, 09:54 PM

136 posts, read 689,453 times
man if only tesla had a few more dollar bills this whole controversy would be solved!

anyone know how strong the wifi is in shadyside? anyone think they could do massive downloading/use video games ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh