Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:03 PM

210 posts, read 471,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
not really quite a secret, but the only truly good Mexican place around here is Mexico City over on Smithfield St. and Wood St. I think they also plan to open up a place on the South Side, it's completely worth a stop.

Mexico City Restaurant Downtown Pittsburgh on Smithfield St and Wood St
Rey Azteca is worth a visit. Great Mexican food too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 AM

23 posts, read 70,642 times
Quote:
not really quite a secret, but the only truly good Mexican place around here is Mexico City over on Smithfield St. and Wood St. I think they also plan to open up a place on the South Side, it's completely worth a stop.

That looks fantastic...

I go to this Mexican place down in South Pointe / Canonsburg for lunch sometimes, Los Chiludos ( Welcome To Los Chiludos ). Also very good. Their menu has been updated, but not on the website. They have great sope.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,688,668 times
1.)Reyna Foods Taco Stand. Stop by on a Saturday or Sunday. There's a small stand set up outside that makes killer tacos. 2 for $5.

2.)Wilson's Bar-B-Q. I'm a huge fan.

3.)Tillie's Restaurant is over in McKeesport. They make great homemade spaghetti noodles.

4.)Chasers has an amazing wing special. I was there a few months ago and spent like $30 on 120 wings and 5 pitchers of beer. Not all for me, of course. Huge dive.

5.)Segneri's Italian Restaurant. Some of the best Italian-American food in the area. Very good tripe. It's in Coraopolis.

6.)Also, Oakland Primanti Brothers -- Ragin' Cajun extra spicy. The cook at this location makes this sandwich smoking hot. I like it.

Last edited by ML North; 02-08-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,185,641 times
Quote:

As long as we are talking about the region and not city alone, I have to toot the horn for Jose Ole in Robinson. The food is excellent, hands down the best Mexican I've ever had in the area. They have only been open a few months and are still struggling for business due to their location (they are tucked in next to The Exchange, across from Bucca di Beppo). I hope they can make it because there are so few GREAT Mexican restaurants in the area.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 AM

23 posts, read 70,642 times
I know it's not a secret, but I had lunch at the Double Wide for the first time a few days ago and enjoyed it very much.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,050,777 times
If you enjoy Caribbean food:

The Royal Caribbean Restaurant - Pittsburgh's slice of Paradise

If you enjoy Ethiopian food:

Abay Ethiopian Cuisine - Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

^^ both located in East Liberty. I wouldn't call them "holes in the walls", though.

The best BBQ in the city is located in Homewood, Brushton on Frankstown Avenue, right before you get to Frankstown & Dallas. You'll see the guys outside with the big barrels, cooking the ribs. They sit on the corner of Frankstown and a small side street (name of side street escapes me)...can't miss them, though.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,050,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post

6.)Also, Oakland Primanti Brothers -- Ragin' Cajun extra spicy. The cook at this location makes this sandwich smoking hot. I like it.
This is too funny to me. I thought I was the only one who asked for their Ragin Cajun's EXTRA SPICY down at this location. They always look at me like 'ARE YOU SURE'.... I say YES I'M SURE. You know why I ask for it EXTRA SPICY, though? Because their regular ones aren't spicy to me at all. If I go down to the one in the Strip and ask for a Rajin Cajun they're made RIGHT...

Old 02-16-2011, 06:13 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,851,877 times
Sunny Jim's Tavern is my favorite located on Camp Horne Road. The tavern not only reminds you that you are in the suburbs, but has a downright " out in the country" feel to it. I recommend you visit this place in the summer as it has a great outdoor patio that is next to a wooded ravine and creek. ( "crick" in Pittsburghese!) There's also a huge outdoor 25' TV.
The prices are reasonable, the food is good with an overall " neighborhood bar" and family friendly atmosphere ( which I like!)

Old 02-16-2011, 07:09 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,532,342 times
I'll second Sunny Jim's.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 PM

366 posts, read 943,749 times
Tamari - Sushi
The Pretzel Shop - ...
Point Brugge Cafe - Brunch
Salt of The Earth - Fusion

and my wild card pick:

Luciano's (White Oak) - Pizza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh