Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM

23 posts, read 70,665 times

Advertisements

So I've been living in Pittsburgh since August. I really enjoy the city so far but if there's one thing I learned while living in Baltimore for 4 years, the best part about a city are the amazing holes in the wall or other places you would normally overlook.

That's what I'm trying to discover now in the Burgh. Here are a few of my favorites in the area I've discovered in my short time here:

One of my absolute favorite things I've found at the moment is the East End Brewing Company ( East End Brewing Company - BUY A GOOD FRIEND A GOOD BEER (tm) ). I love this place. Super friendly guys and great, great beer.

Dependable Drive-in ( Dependable Drive In Theater - Home ) is great. Year round, double or triple features, cheap...

Most recently I discovered this little barbecue place on Babcock... The Flame Bar-B-Que ( Theflamebbq.com Home Page ). I love pulled pork and good barbecue, and this place definitely sated my hunger.

So share what you've discovered, where you like to go, and what you like to do around Pittsburgh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 12:09 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Favorite restaurants:
Lidia's (Italian). Strip District.
Piccolo Forno (Italian--best lasagne in town). Lawrenceville
Coriander (Indian). Squirrel Hill (where Kazansky's/Iz Cohen's used to be)
Dozen Bake Shop (sweets). Lawrenceville, S. Craig @ Forbes, and downtown.
Square Cafe (great brunch/lunch. Not open nights). Regent Square on S. Braddock.

combo food shopping/restaurant:
Penn Avenue Fish Market (Penn and 22nd, Strip District = restaurant & fish market; 308 Forbes, downtown = restaurant only, though if you call the fish market the day before, they can send fresh fish downtown for you to pick up). All the fish tacos you can eat, Tuesday, $8.99; all the sushi you can eat, Wednesday, $21.99.

Penn Mac (Penn between 21-22). Best cheese selection in town (though Whole Foods does not suck), and they have the lowest price in town for Parmigiano-Reggiano, $10.99 or $11.99.
Whole Foods(Centre Ave., E. Liberty) has a great cheese department, too. I'm afraid to post some of their lowest prices, because I'm afraid they'll raise them.

East Liberty has a lot of restaurants I have yet to try: Salt, Brgr, Spoon, more.

Squirrel Hill used to have good restaurants. Not so many I really like anymore.

I still want to try two bakeries whose names I don't remember, one in Lawrenceville, one in Millvale.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM

23 posts, read 70,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Favorite restaurants:
Lidia's (Italian). Strip District.
Piccolo Forno (Italian--best lasagne in town). Lawrenceville
Coriander (Indian). Squirrel Hill (where Kazansky's/Iz Cohen's used to be)
Dozen Bake Shop (sweets). Lawrenceville, S. Craig @ Forbes, and downtown.
Square Cafe (great brunch/lunch. Not open nights). Regent Square on S. Braddock.

combo food shopping/restaurant:
Penn Avenue Fish Market (Penn and 22nd, Strip District = restaurant & fish market; 308 Forbes, downtown = restaurant only, though if you call the fish market the day before, they can send fresh fish downtown for you to pick up). All the fish tacos you can eat, Tuesday, $8.99; all the sushi you can eat, Wednesday, $21.99.

Penn Mac (Penn between 21-22). Best cheese selection in town (though Whole Foods does not suck), and they have the lowest price in town for Parmigiano-Reggiano, $10.99 or $11.99.
Whole Foods(Centre Ave., E. Liberty) has a great cheese department, too. I'm afraid to post some of their lowest prices, because I'm afraid they'll raise them.

East Liberty has a lot of restaurants I have yet to try: Salt, Brgr, Spoon, more.

Squirrel Hill used to have good restaurants. Not so many I really like anymore.

I still want to try two bakeries whose names I don't remember, one in Lawrenceville, one in Millvale.
Perhaps the bakery in Millvale is Jean-Marc? ( Jean-Marc Chatellier's French Bakery | Home ). My coworker was telling me about it just last week.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:08 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Hokkaido has a fairly decent all-you-can-eat mixed buffet, including passable sushi.

Duck Hollow is one of my favorite out-of-the-way places in Pittsburgh. There are trails along the river and up into Frick Park, a place people fish, an old railroad bridge, and a crazy little residential neighborhood that looks like it was transplanted out of Central PA.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
not really quite a secret, but the only truly good Mexican place around here is Mexico City over on Smithfield St. and Wood St. I think they also plan to open up a place on the South Side, it's completely worth a stop.

Mexico City Restaurant Downtown Pittsburgh on Smithfield St and Wood St

Old 02-07-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Duck Hollow is one of my favorite out-of-the-way places in Pittsburgh. There are trails along the river and up into Frick Park, a place people fish, an old railroad bridge, and a crazy little residential neighborhood that looks like it was transplanted out of Central PA.
I googled Duck Hollow on a map and it took me to Glen Hazel, a bit away from Frick Park.

What would be some street names, intersections, etc., for checking Duck Hollow out on Google Maps?

Old 02-07-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarbus View Post
Perhaps the bakery in Millvale is Jean-Marc? ( Jean-Marc Chatellier's French Bakery | Home ). My coworker was telling me about it just last week.
Yes. That's it. h_curtis likes it a lot.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
not really quite a secret, but the only truly good Mexican place around here is Mexico City over on Smithfield St. and Wood St. I think they also plan to open up a place on the South Side, it's completely worth a stop.

Mexico City Restaurant Downtown Pittsburgh on Smithfield St and Wood St
I like this, too. I prefer it to El Campesino foodwise, plus it's more convenient for me.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What would be some street names, intersections, etc., for checking Duck Hollow out on Google Maps?
McFarren, Ettwein, and Blackmore are the streets in Duck Hollow's residential part.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
McFarren, Ettwein, and Blackmore are the streets in Duck Hollow's residential part.
Thanks, Brian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh