Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:06 PM

38 posts, read 59,585 times

Advertisements

I drive pass this house everyday. It is nice, but had no idea it was that unique. The former owners sold it, mainly because of the location and what was coming. If you look at google, the property is way too small for the house, there is a major shopping plaza behind and soon wal-mart is coming across US30. I'm pretty sure this house is on the Holiday House Tour running every December The Irwin Project would have info on the homes come Oct/Nov. If you come, turn left from Pennsylvania Ave on to Beech St and then go on 8th and 9th, there are couple Sears models there liek early 147 fronting the baseball field. Also if you continue on PA Ave, between Locust St and Cedar St on left side going towards downtown there is The Bandon and also Maytown with the roundish tower. Then on corner of Cedar and Grant Ave a reversed Greenview or maybe older model 159. Also if you go on Grant Ave back towards the cementary you will see couple what I think are Chelsea's or Castleton's. And I live right across from Fulerton, at least that's what it looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubus_gt View Post
I drive pass this house everyday. It is nice, but had no idea it was that unique. The former owners sold it, mainly because of the location and what was coming. If you look at google, the property is way too small for the house, there is a major shopping plaza behind and soon wal-mart is coming across US30. I'm pretty sure this house is on the Holiday House Tour running every December The Irwin Project would have info on the homes come Oct/Nov. If you come, turn left from Pennsylvania Ave on to Beech St and then go on 8th and 9th, there are couple Sears models there liek early 147 fronting the baseball field. Also if you continue on PA Ave, between Locust St and Cedar St on left side going towards downtown there is The Bandon and also Maytown with the roundish tower. Then on corner of Cedar and Grant Ave a reversed Greenview or maybe older model 159. Also if you go on Grant Ave back towards the cementary you will see couple what I think are Chelsea's or Castleton's. And I live right across from Fulerton, at least that's what it looks like.
Please send photos!

The Sears Bandon is extremely rare. I've only seen one in all my travels and that was right outside the Cairo Mill (the 40-acre Sears Mill) in southern Illinois.

Rose

Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM

137 posts, read 274,685 times
late to the game, but I showed my husband and he knew the house right away.

that floor plan is *gorgeous*.

I wish I could build one.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:37 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Is there a name for a house with a wood exterior? I don't really recall anyone differentiating between them and brick houses before.
Wood/insulbrick/aluminum siding houses were referred to as a frame house, brick was brick and stucco was stucco., per my '60s/'70s experience in construction in Kansas City and real estate here in Pgh.

As a telemarketer for home improvement sales a common question would be, "Tell me Mrs. Smith, is that a brick or a frame house you live in?" (To determine what improvement needs to pitch.)

Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Wood/insulbrick/aluminum siding houses were referred to as a frame house, brick was brick and stucco was stucco., per my '60s/'70s experience in construction in Kansas City and real estate here in Pgh.

As a telemarketer for home improvement sales a common question would be, "Tell me Mrs. Smith, is that a brick or a frame house you live in?" (To determine what improvement needs to pitch.)
Frame -- that's it. Thanks so much.

I hadn't thought about it much in a long time, and then RR asked everyone here about the Pittsburgh-area house they'd really like to live in, and mine was a blue frame house with apple green trim in Point Breeze, facing Frick Park. And then someone asked about Avalon, and I saw a bunch of frame houses up the road in Ben Avon. And then Rosemary started this thread. So I put it all together: frame houses are what I really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh