Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 AM

255 posts, read 1,093,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototypepariah View Post
Murray ave doesn't really have a ton of stuff on it, neither does forbes in squirrel hill.
I don't know how you can say Murray Ave. doesn't have a ton of stuff on it. It's got just about every ethnic restaurant you could want, a great cafe, and many other cool little "mom and pop" style shops.

When you throw in the Forbes Ave. part, it'd be really hard to ask for more. Except, in my case, not having to trudge up the hill to get to any of it. But that's a different topic.

My wife and I have a lot of exploring to do, but as far as anything we could really want or need, Murray Ave. and Forbes seem to have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 09:00 AM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder18 View Post
What is your favorite business district in Pittsburgh, and why?

Please keep your answers to business districts in the city proper.

My favorite so far would have to be the one on Murray Ave. in Squirrel Hill, but that's because we're so close to it.

I guess people will pick the one closest to where they live, but I'm curious about the differences that would make a person chose one over the other (other than distance.)

Thanks!
I like Aspinwall. Very cool and quaint.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
The Waterworks shopping district over in Lincoln Lemington.

Walmart, Giant Eagle, the state store, dining options, clothing stores.

It has a lot, and with ample parking day or night, its very convenient.
Good transit service over there as well, for the pedestrian crowd.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:26 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The Waterworks shopping district over in Lincoln Lemington.

Walmart, Giant Eagle, the state store, dining options, clothing stores.

It has a lot, and with ample parking day or night, its very convenient.
Good transit service over there as well, for the pedestrian crowd.
That is a good choice. I didnt cross my mind because it not the typical inner city shopping district. I love Waterworks also.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:28 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Carrick Shopping Center. Simply the best.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Mine is the Crafton-Ingram Shopping Center, but the OP did state within the city proper.

So, I'd have to say Downtown: I can probably get most of what I need under one roof (Burlington), have Macy's and Brooks as a backup (for dress shoes, mostly), and I dig the food court at Fifth Avenue Place.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:12 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I wonder if people's choices have changed in the 8 years since this was posted....

Old 02-09-2015, 12:12 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Ignoring distance, Bloomfield's is still the best to me. It's reasonably sized and is very utilitarian for those who live nearby while still having some dining and bar options to draw in outsiders.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:31 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
I count East Liberty (Penn & Highland, Centre) along with Shadyside (Highland, Ellsworth, Centre and Walnut) as one district. I can do just about all of my shopping in this area with little hassle.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Ignoring distance, Bloomfield's is still the best to me. It's reasonably sized and is very utilitarian for those who live nearby while still having some dining and bar options to draw in outsiders.
We also prefer Bloomfield. We do our laundry there; grab Starbucks there; order Chinese delivery from there; eat at Thai Cuisine; etc. I really wish Liberty Avenue could get a grant for some street trees, though. It looks like a third-world country with all of those unsightly overhead wires zig-zagging everywhere with nary a leafy tree in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh