Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 06:10 PM

255 posts, read 1,093,903 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite business district in Pittsburgh, and why?

Please keep your answers to business districts in the city proper.

My favorite so far would have to be the one on Murray Ave. in Squirrel Hill, but that's because we're so close to it.

I guess people will pick the one closest to where they live, but I'm curious about the differences that would make a person chose one over the other (other than distance.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 07:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
I live in the suburbs so my favorite business districts aren't based on what's closest.

I personally don't like Murray Avenue. It's too congested and dumpy.

I haven't been to Lawrenceville's business district in years so I can't comment.

I liked the old Squirrel Hill prior to the chain stores moving into the area. It's okay these days, but not my favorite anymore.

I like Bloomfield and Southside, but Bloomfield is easier to get to via car and parking is easier to find there too.

Hands down, nothing beats the Strip District though. I love the open market feel. Everything in all other business districts in the city can be replaced by something in the suburbs, but what's in the Strip District can't be found anywhere else.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:56 PM

153 posts, read 685,600 times
Shadyside - Walnut Street

Old 07-22-2007, 01:47 PM

136 posts, read 691,278 times
walnut street is nice, mostly chains but it's still nice.
Murray ave doesn't really have a ton of stuff on it, neither does forbes in squirrel hill. Sure there is "stuff" but what specifically do you like?
carson street is pretty cool, the air(literally) seems a little dirty down there though.

where are the chain stores in squirrel hill? on the south side of 376?
about where are the "busniess" districts in bloomsfield and lawerenceville? on liberty ave?

Old 07-22-2007, 07:36 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,539 times
My favorite is Carson St. There's always people walking and there's a variety of shops and places to eat there. And I feel safe walking there at night. The architecture is amazing--it reminds me of the typical "downtown" in western PA.

Next would be Squirrel Hill, just cause it's close to my friend's apartment and I've walked down there so many times. But the architecture doesn't even begin to compare to Carson St.

Then Walnut St because I looooooove Shadyside!

The Strip is fantastic. Full of smells, grit and charm.

I really like Oakland as well. I enjoy the Asian restaurants just off the main drag.

Then Bloomsfield because I've had some of the best, most delicious food in the strangest restaurants and sandwich shops there.

Downtown is ok... I like the part around Penn Av (Cultural District) the most, but there's not much in the way of shopping up there. Other parts of Downtown are a little run-down...

Lawrenceville is half-way decent. I think it could be a lot better, and maybe it will be soon. I've heard some "artsy" people are moving in there. Saw a few galleries there last time I was there. A few places to eat, but not enough.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:58 AM

121 posts, read 367,734 times
Forbes Avenue in Oakland is probably mine. I really like walking around there. I know not everyone will agree, of course. But I spent a lot of time there in college and I still love going back and enjoying the hustle and bustle.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototypepariah View Post
where are the chain stores in squirrel hill? on the south side of 376?
Woops! I meant Shadyside. But I don't like Forbes or Murray in Squirrel Hill either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototypepariah View Post
about where are the "busniess" districts in bloomsfield and lawerenceville? on liberty ave?
Bloomfield's business district is Liberty Avenue.

Lawrenceville has three business districts on Penn Avenue, Liberty Avenue, and Butler Street.

Here's a link to learn more about Lawrenceville's business districts:

Business Development in Lawrenceville, Lawrenceville Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA: The Butler Street and Penn Main business districts have long served as places for Lawrenceville residents, neighborhood employees, and visitors to shop, dine, and relax

Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Hands down, nothing beats the Strip District though. I love the open market feel. Everything in all other business districts in the city can be replaced by something in the suburbs, but what's in the Strip District can't be found anywhere else.
Dead-on. Without a doubt. I might move if it weren't for the Strip...seriously. PennMac's selection of cheese alone keeps me in this town NYC would be lucky to call some of the shops in the Strip their own. You won't find a better city market than we've got right here.

Good call.

Cap

Old 07-24-2007, 09:37 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,306 times
I'd have to say my favorite would be braddock ave. in Braddock.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:08 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
I'd have to say my favorite would be braddock ave. in Braddock.
Not Lysle Blvd in McKeesport?

Cap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh