Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:59 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times

Advertisements

I too think PAT should just kept service levels and used the 45mil as intended, they should've kept this issue in the face of the politicians, buying time only gives time for Corbett and friends to backburner it and say "See Pittsburgh can get by with the reduced Transit"....There need to remain this sense of urgency.

Facing 35% reduction in Transit would have been devistating to Pittsburgh's economy, and No Governor wants that on their resume, and you'd have more Local Politicans and community activist groups up in arms and making so much noise the Governor could not hide from the issue.

I bet if PAT was threatening 35% cuts and signle handly distroying Pittsburgh's economy Corbett would find a solution in a weeks time.

Quote:
State Rep. Rick Geist, R-Altoona, chairman of the House Transportation Committee, said a comprehensive transportation funding package "could be put together in two hours. It's a matter of having the political will to do something."

Read more: Port Authority CEO: State funds unlikely - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Port Authority CEO: State funds unlikely - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
PEOPLE NEED TO MAKE NOISE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
this is a result of past decisions rather than current. rendell failed to bring reliable funding.
The whole state government did. And they could have done something by now if they wanted to--they knew in APRIL that the I-80 toll fell through. They just don't care, and were using the election as one of their excuses for inaction.

Quote:
additionally pat chose to cut rather than keep all service for one year. it simply isnt reasonable to have expected corbett to have addressed the situation by now. i tend to think pay should have used rendells parting gift as intended.
Corbett is one of the reasons they had no choice. You can imagine a scenario in which the incoming Governor said words to the effect, "Cutting state transit funding is unacceptable. We'll immediately get to work on finding a new source for the funds that we promised." Instead, Corbett has consistently sent the message that he doesn't care and isn't particularly interested in finding a solution. This will undoubtedly continue until the state transportation funding crisis starts hitting road funding and other transit agencies, at which point maybe--maybe--Corbett will be forced to accept a resolution that includes transit.

But that won't be this year. So, they needed to buy more time than just one budget.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I bet if PAT was threatening 35% cuts and signle handly distroying Pittsburgh's economy Corbett would find a solution in a weeks time.
Unfortunately, I really doubt that is true. If the whole budget wasn't in crisis and Corbett hadn't made an insane no taxes pledge, maybe. But he will be facing impossible choices as it is, and if pushed I have no doubt he would gladly accept PAT doing massive cuts.

And in fact he would count on people blaming Rendell, Onorato, PAT, the union, and so on, because that has worked so far.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:51 PM

178 posts, read 399,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Except that is exactly wrong when it comes to the actual causes of these cuts. PAT had renegotiated its contracts to cut labor costs and launched the TDP to become more operating efficient in general. All that was more or less on track, and then the state slashed PAT's funding, and the current Governor and his allies in the legislature have been saying "Not our problem".

Pointing the finger at the union is part of the game the relevant politicians play to try to shift blame. But make no mistake: none of these cuts would be happening if the state wasn't slashing its funding to PAT.

Edit: Of course this is self-serving, but it is also a largely accurate summary of how PAT had been cutting its budget and improving revenues in recent years:

Financial Savings

Again, the current crisis is 100% due to the state.
Too little, too late.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
Too little, too late.
Again, they would have been fine if the state hadn't slashed its funding contribution. I mean do you remember PAT planning massive service cuts before that? No.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:13 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I mean do you remember PAT planning massive service cuts before that? No.
PAT is ALWAYS planning and threatening massive service cuts.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:24 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
corbett didnt make them do anything. thats merely partisan bickering.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:48 PM

210 posts, read 471,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
PAT is ALWAYS planning and threatening massive service cuts.
And they will continue to do so unless the state helps, salaries/benes are cut, or people/services are cut. The state can't balance their own budget and the union is going to protect salaries/benes. The only thing that remains unprotected are the services, which they have and will continue to cut until people stop trying to band-aid the issue. They need state monies dedicated to them and they need to reduce their legacy costs.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:17 PM

250 posts, read 359,563 times
There are two threads on the same topic going on right now but as this one seems to be more active, I'll repeat myself here.

The only way out of this mess is going to be to remove the union's monopoly and open up free competition for contracts. Doesn't matter if it's Republicans or Democrats in control of the state, they've both demonstrated in more words or less that they're NOT going to invest in something they're not confident in. And they are NOT confident in PAT. Unfortunately we bear the curse of being a big city in a state with a bigger city and lots of smaller cities that are all grappling for every dollar they can. The financial crisis has changed things forever, the era of freely flowing state funding is over. The initiative is on us now. And the status quo is not going to suffice.

We can ****** and moan about the state all we want, and say that they're treating us unfairly, and that the union has its hands tied and is doing its best. Which all may well be true. Or we can be proactive and show them that we take controlling costs seriously, by opening up competition and not hiding behind stubborn political allegiances. Like others have said, it's too little to late for that and both sides share the responsibility anyway. Put yourself in the shoes of a state legislator from the outside looking in -- would YOU give money to PAT? Does that look like a positive investment to you?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:20 PM
lde

53 posts, read 119,352 times
I see lots of verbal descriptions of routes. I see no links to a map (besides the Ts). Is there a site that shows a map of all the PAT routes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh