Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,298,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Never tried them. Do you know what they are?
I know! Ooh! Oohooh! {Insert frantic Arnold Horshack hand raising here}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,848,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Never tried them. Do you know what they are?
I think I do. Do they always come in pairs? Or are there variations of the Rocky Mountain Oyster?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:16 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I think I do. Do they always come in pairs? Or are there variations of the Rocky Mountain Oyster?
Yes, they come in pairs, though I guess they could be served individually. The only variation I've seen is some chocolates with the same name!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-28-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,082,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i am bothered that no American cities can compete with 'livability rankings' when put up against those in the other large english-speaking countries.

in a similar list a year or so ago, i saw San Francisco ranking something like #17, tops for a U.S. city.

still, this is nice to read for our town.
That website is heavily biased. Every year they generally always put Australian and Canadian cities on top, with a smattering of European ones.

It's very anglo-centric for sure.

I've read why they don't generally put American cities on the list, and it's because apparently we are under a potential 'terrorist' list hit-list, so therefore all our cities are counted down because of it.

I'm glad Pittsburgh made the list, but a real strong disservice to put Canada city #4 or Australia city #4 over any American cities like Honolulu, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, etc.

I'd also like to see an Asian city a bit higher on the list. All the money is over here, and these are some real nice cities this way.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 PM

2,887 posts, read 5,122,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That website is heavily biased. Every year they generally always put Australian and Canadian cities on top, with a smattering of European ones.

It's very anglo-centric for sure.

I've read why they don't generally put American cities on the list, and it's because apparently we are under a potential 'terrorist' list hit-list, so therefore all our cities are counted down because of it.

I'm glad Pittsburgh made the list, but a real strong disservice to put Canada city #4 or Australia city #4 over any American cities like Honolulu, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, etc.

I'd also like to see an Asian city a bit higher on the list. All the money is over here, and these are some real nice cities this way.
There is a heavy 'country' flavor in the list, hence Canadian and Australian cities at the top, with US cities that come (in bunches) later. Has anyone seen the full list? Pittsburgh is #29 out of 150, well guess what, other US cities are basically ALL in the 30-50 range. Still much more livable than average. If there's a problem with the list, it's that the country component is too important and the in-country variation isn't wide enough.

You guys can claim crime, inequality and other social problems (I'm putting terrorism threat here) shouldn't have an impact on any 'livability' ranking, but the fact is -- The Economist disagrees. To claim this is the result of a big conspiracy theory is counterproductive at best. If you've ever read that magazine you *know* it isn't anglo-centric, it's world-centric if there's such a thing.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,945,617 times
I agree there is no conspiracy. They just have a perspective on what matters that reflects the experience and background of Western European economic elites, and from that perspective it turns out that a lot of Canadian and Australian cities come close to their ideal.

Specific to Pittsburgh, one could sum this up by saying this result is indicating that Pittsburgh is a place Western European economic elites might particularly like living among U.S. cities. I actually don't think that is such a surprising thing to say--we have long recognized in this forum that if you have a decent amount of money, Pittsburgh can be a very nice place to live.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM

146 posts, read 224,684 times
Not a surprise. Affordable housing, friendly people, not overly crowded, great cultural amenities for its peer group of cities, very civic-minded and educated population. I certainly enjoyed the time that I spent there as a graduate student :-)

Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,945,617 times
Aack--we were passed by Honolulu this year!

World's most livable city is... | CNNGo.com

Very upsetting.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,157,721 times
Also got a nice plug from this Canadian newspaper:

Underrated but now Chic

Ive been to Pbg maybe three times now. Love, love, LOVE the place! So much character! And the people are great...that is one thing that really makes the place for me, the straightforward open nature of the Pittsburghers.

Hoping to pass through again this fall sometime....

Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,352,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Aack--we were passed by Honolulu this year!

World's most livable city is... | CNNGo.com

Very upsetting.

Haha, I agree. I bet living in Honolulu sucks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh