Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Annndddd right back to my original post about people bickering against one about insignificant garbage and speaking out against their own interests in class warfare.
Well, to be fair the poster in question apparently considers herself upper crust as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If people don't see a problem with a governor being bought out by an out of state conglomerate...
It's no worse than being bought out by George Soros.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:10 PM

781 posts, read 1,618,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
Oh, dear, sweet Sideblinded. When you're trying to come off as intelligent, it's probably best not to admit that you're going to spend your night watching reality TV.
I have been given better insults by wittier people.

*I am far from upper crust. My parents both were teachers in Wisconsin. I failed to mention my Mom was an Aide for Title One so we were not living it up Trump Style with a 2 income teacher household. (insert tongue in cheek)

I stated in this thread earlier why this subject hits home for me. My parents were dedicated and cared (care), they were not the exception.

* I don't think I was the upper crust reference.

Off to watch Jon Stewart!

Last edited by Sideblinded; 02-23-2011 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Paused my DVR to edit

Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 PM

76 posts, read 157,167 times
Virtually every politician on the national level has been purchased by some wealthy individual or group, Republicans and Democrats alike. The recent Supreme Court ruling, which removed the few restrictions preventing complete political prostitution, has made everything worse or at least more transparently corrupt.

For many of us, our involvement in the political process begins and ends at the voting booth. Our influence over our elected officials is insignificant compared to the lobbyists who swarm all over them once they arrive at the Capitol. These kinds of grassroots rallies, both on the Left and Right, are as close as we ever get to matching that level of influence.

I'm generally a Progressive, although since I grew up on a farm I fit some rural stereotypes too (religious and pro-gun.) The rallies in Wisconsin are exciting and inspiring to me, just as Tea-Party events must be to many of the conservative posters on this thread. Organized labor is not without faults, but nevertheless it presents to average Americans their best chance for economic and political power. Any legislation that weakens labor unions weakens us all. Or at least those of us making less than a couple hundred grand a year....

Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Do your research. The unions agreed to 100% of Dictator Walker's financial demands. He said no. He refused to ever meet with them. He wants to end collective bargaining. He eliminated taxes on corporations & no increase for the wealthy. The Wisconsin Governor faked this "crisis" He cut taxes by 1.41 million (or close) for corporations, then started this "Sky is falling" BS. This happened over a 3-4 week period.

This is about killing the middle class. Unless you make over a few billion a year please start reading about what is going on before you blame who the bad guys really are. I do not understand on any level why average people side with Billionaires and shun those who are middle class. Public Union workers pay taxes too. They make up around 12% of the workforce. Are they really the reason the united states is in trouble? That simply does not add up.

Welcome to the United States of Walmart.
Good point! I agree!!!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:45 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossewa View Post
Organized labor is not without faults, but nevertheless it presents to average Americans their best chance for economic and political power. Any legislation that weakens labor unions weakens us all. Or at least those of us making less than a couple hundred grand a year....
But what if an employee doesn't want to be involved in the union? I personally know of several union members that HATE their union. This includes family members. They have no choice though. At their job, they must be in a union to be employed there...and the union steals their dues right out of their paycheck every month. How do you solve that issue without curbing the power of unions? Self-identified progressives such as yourself are extremely against "right to work" legislation. So, what do you say to those that are forced to either be in a union or quit their job? What do you say to these members that see their union dues going to corrupt union leaders and corrupt democrats?

Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
But what if an employee doesn't want to be involved in the union? I personally know of several union members that HATE their union. This includes family members. They have no choice though. At their job, they must be in a union to be employed there...and the union steals their dues right out of their paycheck every month. How do you solve that issue without curbing the power of unions? Self-identified progressives such as yourself are extremely against "right to work" legislation. So, what do you say to those that are forced to either be in a union or quit their job? What do you say to these members that see their union dues going to corrupt union leaders and corrupt democrats?

If you read the above post you quoted yourself, you'll see that ossewa said "Organized labor is not without faults"... Nobody here is saying that unions are perfect. I don't know why half of the folks out there don't seem to grasp this. The unions made every single concession they were asked to except for one: collective bargaining rights. The protesters aren't angry that they're being asked to curb costs – they're mad because their union's whole existence is on the line.

I do agree with you on one thing – people should be able to opt out if they'd like. Revisions good. Killing unions completely bad.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Ok, I think I'm doing everybody here a favor by closing this thread.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh