Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 12,196 times

Advertisements

Hey, all. Moving in a few months and need a few tips on neighborhoods. Husband and I are a couple in our mid-twenties, moving for my job, which will be in Oakdale. We're looking for an apartment or house to rent, near a park (3 dogs) and a coffee shop...and definetely a bookstore. He's way into live music, but we want somewhere safe.

Any suggestions for a cozy neighborhood accessible to some of the things I've mentioned (and not too far from work).

Thanks for your help -- I don't even know where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 11:49 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Oakdale is kind of out in the 'burbs so the closest neighborhods with the walkable amenities you're looking for are most likely Crafton, Mt. Lebanon, and Dormont.
Also there's Brookline if you cross into the city boundaries.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,114 times
Depends on your idea of "close to Oakdale" I suppose. Shadyside definitely fits your bill, but would be at very least a half-hour commute at rush, and you get to battle the Fort Pitt Tunnels. Further away yet would the Highland Park/Regent Square area...parks, coffee shop, live music, books, etc...but the commute is a bit further yet. Mt. Lebanon ain't bad, but I don't know that I'd consider it "artsy"...though it is pretty quaint and nice. Southside would offer all of those things you want in mass, but is probably the least "cozy" of the places I've suggested. It is urban through and through- straight-up city. The problem is you want a good commute to the country (Oakdale) with city amenities! How long are you willing to be in the car each day? Do these things have to be within walking distance or just a short drive away? If you are willing to drive to said amenities, there a tons of choices around.

Let us know!

Cap

Old 07-24-2007, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 12,196 times
Default Clarifications

Confession: I am scared of driving in PA weather. I'm from Texas, where it snows *MAYBE* once a year. That's really the only issue I have with the commute. As far as the amenities, is a coffee shop and book store (preferably non-chain) really a city amenity? I guess they don't really need to be walkable. Here, the suburbs are like the seventh circle of hell, but maybe it's not like that there? South Side definately sounds too urban. I'm cool with a commute, we're just looking for a place that feels comfy.

Thanks for your suggestions -- sorry that I don't yet know exactly what I'm looking for!

...Maybe some more info about Shadyside?

Old 07-24-2007, 02:16 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFatale View Post
Confession: I am scared of driving in PA weather. I'm from Texas, where it snows *MAYBE* once a year.
Driving in 6" of snow is easier than driving in a thunderstorm, in my opinion. In snow you've got traction, in a sheet of water your tires are actually off the ground. Many people worry about this, but I wouldn't if I were you. The past couple of years I can only remember a couple of times where it was bad enough I couldn't drive 65 on the highway. It snows often in Western PA, but not huge amounts often...lots of little 1" and 2" snows that don't affect the roads after a little traffic has driven on them.

Quote:
As far as the amenities, is a coffee shop and book store (preferably non-chain) really a city amenity? I guess they don't really need to be walkable. Here, the suburbs are like the seventh circle of hell, but maybe it's not like that there?
Well, I don't think the burbs are hell, but I think I am in the minority often on this board. They are full of fairly cookie-cutter chain-type stores. There is probably a coffee shop and a book store in Oakdale, or at least just up the road in Imperial. But I wouldn't call either of those places "cozy". I'd call them small-townish and more rural than even suburban.

Quote:
we're just looking for a place that feels comfy.
I'd say Shadyside and Mount Lebanon are very "comfy". I know what you mean, and I think you'd be happy there, even with the commute. Shadyside is probably a bit more "posh", for lack of a better term. Its main shopping area- Walnut Street- can be a tad pretentious in my opinion. Still, it is very nice. Tree-lined streets, old well-kept homes. No doubt coffee shops and book stores, but mixed in with places to buy $5,000 suits and $2,000 handbags if you know what I mean. I'd say Mt. Lebo is a bit more "comfy"...I don't have great reasoning other than I've spent time there and it just feels so. Lots of little shops in one of the several very small shopping areas there. Shadyside is a city neighborhood- it is officially IN Pittsburgh, though it would be easy to confuse with a suburb when you are in the middle of it. Drive 5 minutes away and there would be doubt you are in a city with the height of the buildings, traffic, etc. Mt. Lebo is more of a traditional suburb, but is very old and thus hasn't taken on characteristics of the "big box suburbs" of many modern cities. Shadyside is on the "wrong" side of town for the commute to Oakdale too. Mt Lebo is at least closer to the "right" side.

Cap

Old 07-25-2007, 08:29 AM

121 posts, read 367,754 times
There are suburbs here with independent coffee shops and book stores. I know that I have seen these things, but sadly I can't tell you which suburbs I was in. Maybe Bellevue? I remember Bellevue's main drag being pretty cozy and lined with local businesses. Not sure if I saw a bookstore but I certainly saw coffee shops.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:27 AM

149 posts, read 608,354 times
You got a job that is bringing you TO Oakdale? Wonderful (I'm jealous)! Oakdale is my hometown, although I haven't lived there in years due to my hubby being from Minnesota. I get "home" at least once per year, and will be there next month!

About the only place to get coffee in Oakdale is the Oakdale Diner, and I don't believe there's a bookstore there. There is a decent sized park for a small town on McKee Road on your way into town. Close by (5.26 miles per Mapquest) is Robinson Town Center & The Pointe that has all kinds of shops, restaurants, a Barnes & Noble Bookstore, Caribou Coffee, and Starbucks (sorry, most everything out there is a chain). I haven't been in Imperial in quite a while, so I'm not sure what they have there anymore.

As for places to live, here's what I posted previously about Oakdale, which may sound a bit slow for you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...html#post91838

Crafton, Bridgeville, Robinson Township, Moon Township, Mt Lebanon, parts of Carnegie, or even in Dormont could get you the amenities you're looking for and still keep you off the Parkway and out of the Fort Pitt Tunnels!

Please feel free to PM me--I'm hoping to be home next month and can possibly do some snooping for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh