Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,768,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Absolutely. Drugs shouldn't be outlawed.

Making goods such as drugs illegal to acquire leads to people committing crimes to acquire them, and more law enforcement becomes necessary to enforce the laws and handle the fallout.

Legalizing drugs, and taxing them at the standard tax rate for other goods, will not only reduce the burden on law enforcement but help control the national/state debt issues we're facing.
All drugs? Some are very harsh and there might be more of a hospital overload and most of the losers on drugs will be leaching off the system, so who will pay for all that? You and the NRA?

I think pot should be legal, taxed and quality controlled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,864,150 times
Illusory superiority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,546,298 times
Well, let's be honest, they can ban it, but nothing is going to change and it sure as hell seems like no one will get a ticket for it.

I thought they were going to ticket people who didn't clean the snow off their vehicles? It drives me ballistic when someone enters a highway and it's immediately like I'm in a blizzard. Just this morning, I followed a woman across the West End Bridge who was in a small Honda Civic and she clearly didn't even make an attempt to remove ANY snow from her car. The entire back window was covered--obviously, she was unable to see.

Also, how about the lack of turn signal use? I blow my horn constantly at the amount of drivers who don't use a turn signal. Most reactions I get include a shrug of the shoulders and a look that communicates, "Wow, you used your horn, I don't even know where mine is...and WHAT DID I DO? "

So yeah--ban the use of a mobile device, I strongly feel it won't change anything.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,534,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Well, let's be honest, they can ban it, but nothing is going to change and it sure as hell seems like no one will get a ticket for it.

I thought they were going to ticket people who didn't clean the snow off their vehicles? It drives me ballistic when someone enters a highway and it's immediately like I'm in a blizzard. ...
True enough. I hate the snow thing too. The only thing that's changed now is instead of griping to myself "Geez, they really oughta clear off that car better" I get to say "Geez, that's illegal!". But I don't know that anyone will get stopped for it. Just like they don't get stopped for driving in the left lane when not passing, etc.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Not totally true. I know someone in NJ that doesn't use the phone because of the ban on its use unless it is hands free. He has a wife and kid and really doesn't want to break the law. Just because YOU or some others don't obey the law doesn't mean others don't either. Right now it is perfectly legal to drive down Rt. 28 and text the whole way. Is that safe? Hardly. Narrow road, construction everywhere people driving too fast for conditions, people navigating that area around the 40th Street Bridge and the list goes on. Add texting to that and it is amazingly dangerous as I have seen first hand. I have even seen semi truck drivers texting and going over the yellow line. Seems a bit much for me to get some stupid text off and jeopardize several people that will no doubt die if run over by a semi, but I guess it is all fine. It is legal, so who cares?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,859,184 times
It's still illegal to cause an accident due to being distracted. Making it double illegal doesn't change anything.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
gg

Quote:
It's still illegal to cause an accident due to being distracted. Making it double illegal doesn't change anything.
I thought about composing something in response, but in all honesty, I noticed logical debates for educational purposes really are not useful with you. You have your opinion and I will have mine. I just don't think there is anyone home.

For everyone else, do they have an ignore poster feature on this forum? I know some do. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,864,150 times
It is a well-known public policy problem that after-the-fact enforcement of risk-increasing behaviors may lead to underdeterrence. There are a number of contributing factors. One is that people may not make reliable risk calculations about their own behavior in advance, particularly when they have incentives to believe otherwise (see, e.g., the link to illusory superiority). Another is that people only have so much capacity to internalize harms. For example, suppose a drunk driver kills a couple people. It simply may not be possible to punish that drunk driver in proportion to that sort of harm.

And so on. Because of all this, establishing rules about excessively risky behavior in advance is often necessary.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,546,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not totally true. I know someone in NJ that doesn't use the phone because of the ban on its use unless it is hands free. He has a wife and kid and really doesn't want to break the law. Just because YOU or some others don't obey the law doesn't mean others don't either. Right now it is perfectly legal to drive down Rt. 28 and text the whole way. Is that safe? Hardly. Narrow road, construction everywhere people driving too fast for conditions, people navigating that area around the 40th Street Bridge and the list goes on. Add texting to that and it is amazingly dangerous as I have seen first hand. I have even seen semi truck drivers texting and going over the yellow line. Seems a bit much for me to get some stupid text off and jeopardize several people that will no doubt die if run over by a semi, but I guess it is all fine. It is legal, so who cares?
First of all, Do NOT assume that I don't obey the law. My post said nothing on the lines of my personal habits, so I do not appreciate your assumption.

The point behind my post was the lack of enforcement after these rules are created. I never hear of anyone being nabbed for not cleaning snow off their vehicle...and that's way easier to spot than someone monkeying with a cell phone in their lap.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,175,997 times
Quote:
Some people are able to do things others aren't. That's a simple fact. I can do it. So I do it. If you can't, don't.
I agree with you in principle. Common sense, however, is a trait many drivers seem to lack these days. If a law is what it takes to make my family and me even a little bit safer, I am all for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh