Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 06:43 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
I would doubt that non-professional staff are in the same unions as certified teachers. Even administrators don't fall under the same union.

Just an FYI to those complaining... all these "over-payed" school district employees (from janitors/bus drivers up to the superintendent) are paying the same school taxes everyone else is.
I'm not saying the janitor is over-paid, you could argue that he is more important than the guidance counselors and other superfluous positions in education. But I think the day is coming when janitorial/maintenance jobs will be out-sourced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 06:43 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yeah, but they can afford it.
HA - right...because teachers must be our highest paid professionals that are carrying the economy in Pittsburgh. It couldn't be all the people in the medical profession, or the lawyers, or the people that work in the Fortune 500 companies.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
HA - right...because teachers must be our highest paid professionals that are carrying the economy in Pittsburgh. It couldn't be all the people in the medical profession, or the lawyers, or the people that work in the Fortune 500 companies.
Um, those people you mention are in industries that work much longer hours and don't have anywhere near the time off. I lived next door to a Doctor and he was NEVER home. He worked around the clock and really missed his kids growing up. I still see him getting home after 7:00PM and he is at work at 7:00AM. Oh then he works Penguin games, so sometimes he isn't home at all during the day. Sure, you can try and compare some of those jobs you listed to teachers that are home at 4:00 and get all the holidays off, Spring Break and a nice long break in summer if you like, but I am not buying it. Good luck with your thoughts though. I have had countless bad teachers in Riverview Skool District when I was there. Many of them had second jobs to make even more money because they had the time to do so. Wow, what a great situation, but sure, you can compare a teacher to the private sector.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Um, those people you mention are in industries that work much longer hours and don't have anywhere near the time off. I lived next door to a Doctor and he was NEVER home. He worked around the clock and really missed his kids growing up. I still see him getting home after 7:00PM and he is at work at 7:00AM. Oh then he works Penguin games, so sometimes he isn't home at all during the day. Sure, you can try and compare some of those jobs you listed to teachers that are home at 4:00 and get all the holidays off, Spring Break and a nice long break in summer if you like, but I am not buying it. Good luck with your thoughts though. I have had countless bad teachers in Riverview Skool District when I was there. Many of them had second jobs to make even more money because they had the time to do so. Wow, what a great situation, but sure, you can compare a teacher to the private sector.
Well, I never said anything about time off... I was talking about being able to afford the taxes. But, since you mentioned it...you did say this doctor worked Penguins games, yes? I guess he DID have time for a 2nd job, too. MANY teachers devote extra time to extracurricular activities. You wouldn't have a doctor if it weren't for his teachers.

Are there bad teachers? Yes. Are there bad ANY CAREER? YES. Boohoo that teachers get time off. If they worked a full year, your taxes would be higher in order to pay them more and to cover the expenses to run a school district daily (food, buses, lighting, water, the list goes ON).

Old 03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
gg

Quote:
Well, I never said anything about time off... I was talking about being able to afford the taxes. But, since you mentioned it...you did say this doctor worked Penguins games, yes? I guess he DID have time for a 2nd job, too. MANY teachers devote extra time to extracurricular activities. You wouldn't have a doctor if it weren't for his teachers.

Are there bad teachers? Yes. Are there bad ANY CAREER? YES. Boohoo that teachers get time off. If they worked a full year, your taxes would be higher in order to pay them more and to cover the expenses to run a school district daily (food, buses, lighting, water, the list goes ON).
Please don't compare the Doctor that I mentioned to a teacher as far as second jobs or whatever you are dreaming up. You cannot compare them in any way. He doesn't have a second job that is his job, it just happens to be insanely long hours. It is laughable to compare them since his job requires two times what a teacher works.

Teachers in this area are way overpaid and they only work 1/2 a year. It is out of line and our taxes are also out of line. People move here from all over and can't believe the taxes. I had to tell everyone their tax rates when I was selling real estate. I know some realtors that would never mention it, but I had to sleep at night. I can't tell you how many shocked people there were when I had to tell them their taxes would be about $14K a year in that new development in Oakmont I sold out. Some had taxes closer to $20K. Oh and after the place sold out did the millage go down with that huge influx of cash? Yeah right. They just gave the teachers a raise or hired a few more administrators. When that Edgewater development takes off, do you think that will lower Oakmont taxes? ha ha ha I don't think so. They will just give the teachers a raise again.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
It is laughable to compare them since his job requires two times what a teacher works.
He also probably makes ($) two-times what a teacher makes. The end.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:01 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,070 times
Quote:
Please don't compare the Doctor that I mentioned to a teacher as far as second jobs or whatever you are dreaming up. You cannot compare them in any way.
Then why are you making this comparison?

Quote:
Four times.

Isn't there a moderator anywhere who can kills this zombie? Maybe someone should start to filibuster...

Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 PM
gg

Quote:
No, he would make much more than that, but there is a little difference in the jobs and much more stress when you are working on people's bodies, liability and such. I can't discuss such a thing. It is too silly to start comparing jobs like those two. I mean, I wouldn't know where to begin if people want to compare those two jobs. Too silly. Enjoy.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Then why are you making this comparison?
To prove a point of how silly it is. Why do some people call for a moderator? Are they the same people that were little tattle tails in school? Goodness.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM

780 posts, read 1,384,729 times
Default ...

Quote:
To prove a point of how silly it is. Why do some people call for a moderator? Are they the same people that were little tattle tails in school? Goodness.

Nope, just a typical liberal that can't handle the truth!

Spend, spend, spend....keep on spending, lets spend some more...ok, time to go home for the day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh