Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
And I WELCOME THEM with open arms!

As they are currently run and structured, PUBLIC sector unions have outlived their usefulness in the U.S. It is unsustainable.

Though I don't agree with their methods or many of their policies, private sector unions are fighting over company PROFITS, not taxpayers money (in most cases), so live and let live would be my policy there.

But, in the public sector, it seems much easier for public "servants" to divy up taxpayers dollars by raising taxes willy nilly every year....
I am glad for your fortune of being a millionaire. The rest of the population will suffer. Look at Michigan & Wisconsin, this is about 100% privatization, coorporate owned state. The only thing in their way are collective bargaining rights. This will effect all of the middle class, elderly, poor and children.

Read Shock and Awe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 PM

This should terrify everyone. Is this America?

Senate votes to give emergency financial managers more power | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20110309/NEWS15/110309030/0/SPORTS05/Senate-votes-give-emergency-financial-managers-more-power?odyssey=nav%7Chead - broken link)

Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I apologize. I just get irked because I love this city, and it's thanks to places like Shaler, O'Hara, McCandless, Ross, Fox Chapel, Cranberry, Upper St. Clair, etc. that the city continues its population nosedive.
You can't blame a Fox Chapel or Shaler because a city resident wants to move there for things the city can't offer like a larger home/lot, lower crime, better schools. I love the city, been here for almost 15 years. I'll be moving out (to an inner ring suburb) as soon as my daughter is school aged.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I apologize. I just get irked because I love this city, and it's thanks to places like Shaler, O'Hara, McCandless, Ross, Fox Chapel, Cranberry, Upper St. Clair, etc. that the city continues its population nosedive.
You "urban sophisticates" ( in your own minds, at least) kill me with your disparaging, condescending comments about the suburbs. I live in Upper St. Clair ( quelle horreur!), and I'm very happy where I have resided for 25 years, despite our glaring lack of sidewalks.
I want the county and city to prosper, but continuing to elect the same type of Political hacks as Mayor Lukey, and those of his ilk ain't the answer.
For me, I refuse to be governed by career politicians who couldn't hold down a job in the private sector, a' la the boy mayor and the nitwits on city council.
Also, teachers in this metro area are, for the most part, overpaid if earning close to, or above six figures, thanks to the roll over and play dead school boards around here.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:04 PM

780 posts, read 1,384,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
I am glad for your fortune of being a millionaire. The rest of the population will suffer. Look at Michigan & Wisconsin, this is about 100% privatization, coorporate owned state. The only thing in their way are collective bargaining rights. This will effect all of the middle class, elderly, poor and children.

Read Shock and Awe.
Not even close to being that but, I am investing a substantial portion of my take home pay in my 401(k) so that I will some day be able to retire. But hey, public sector unions don't need to deposit nearly the amount I need to and they will most likely have more money in retirement than me.

The unions killed Wisconsin and Michigan, esp. Get the labor force back to "realistic" wages and those states will rebound.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:07 PM

http://blogs.forbes.com/rickungar/20...oyee-pensions/

Please research before stating misinformation.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:09 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
I don't get the idea of, "there's a portion of the middle class that may or may not be a little bit more well off than my portion of the middle class, if I have to screw myself over just to screw them over then so be it!"

Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Koch Brothers love PA. Keep your eye on the midwest. We are next.

Union-busting brothers heading our way | Philadelphia Daily News | 02/28/2011
I think Pittsburgh would be the last place union busting would happen, but we can all hope it does at some point. Unions are outdated and are out of control. Would be nice to be competitive again someday in manufacturing, but that will never happen with these huge powerful unions.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Yes, property taxes may need to increase some for homeowners but localizing it more lets the local districts decide on what their priorities are. Maybe districts will chose curriculums and technology rather than new, state of the art work out facilities, gyms and stadiums. Instead of bldg. brand new school bldgs, maybe renovations and expansions of existing facilities will make more financial sense (not in all cases, though).
Maybe out in Hempfield the choices are gyms and new tech labs. Where I live the choices are likely to be a little more rudimentary, and the property taxes are not going to increase "some", but a whole hell of a lot. What you see depends on where you stand, nicht wahr, kamerad? Maybe vouchers will pass and my local totally-dysfunctional school district will simply fold up and all the students can take their vouchers to a new private boarding school out in, say, Hempfield Township.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:20 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Brian just from reading a little, I would guess that average salary in the US is about $47K give or take and the average in Allegheny County is in the low $60's.
I think those numbers are off, and Allegheny County isn't the whole Metro of course.

Quote:
If true, teachers in this area are overpaid.
I would suggest that on average, teachers in the U.S. are underpaid. Generally, we shouldn't be racing to the bottom on education.

Quote:
I am all for a fair wage, but teachers DON'T work a full year. They have an amazing schedule and not near the stress as many other jobs, depending of course what school you are working.
Teachers work more hours than just instructional hours, but anyway, even prorating their wages you don't get something outside the range of white-collar professionals.

Quote:
To give teachers $100K+, is really too much. This is Pittsburgh, not NYC.
100K is just a number, and you seem to have abandoned your idea of looking at what other people in the area actually make. Look at peak compensation for people with similar educational attainment and let me know what you find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh