Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Just noticed you don't want suburbs. As much as Aspinwall is nice, it's not going to change the commute time. Most of the places you mentioned, aside from those along the Ohio River, won't change your wife's commute time very much at all. The only little town with a business district that is remotely in the middle would be West View.

If you're willing to trade being the one with the long drive, look at Zelienople and Harmony. Both cute little towns north of Cranberry. Harmony has a hippy vibe going on. They block off the roads to the town square and have live music on the weekends in the summer, a German Festival on New Year's Eve, etc. There are little artist stores scattered about. It's a tiny town but super cute. People who live in the suburban housing developments nearby go into town regularly. It's not dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM

377 posts, read 652,244 times
As far as commute goes I would pick Bellevue. I lived there for 20something years. It is a walking community. You can very easily walk to CVS, dollar store, Kuhn's, Lincoln Bakery, 2 coffee shops ( A and The Muddy Cup), China Sea, Luigi's ( best pizza), banks...etc etc. They also have a library, Bayne Library, which I have always thought is beautiful. It is in an old home.

Also assuming the route hasn't changed...the 500 goes into Oakland if you are interested in taking a bus. I could get from Bellevue to Cranberry in about 25 minutes.

There are 2 major down points in my opinion--Northgate School District. It is not good. If that's not a factor though then great. Taxes--They are higher and it seems like they keep going up.

Out of the communities you listed though I think Bellevue would be great. I don't think Emsworth or Ben Avon really have a shopping district you would walk too. West View's shopping district is really a shopping plaza.

Bellevue does has have a bit more grit currently--but if you weren't sold on the suburbs you will probably like it.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
West View's shopping district is really a shopping plaza.
It has a little main street area too.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 PM

377 posts, read 652,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It has a little main street area too.
Yes I would just consider Bellevue to be more of a "walking" community than West View. I am very familiar with both areas. But that's just my opinion.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Yeah, I didn't bring up West View because Bellevue is actually a more compelling business district (even with being dry I think). West View might be more directly in the middle, so to speak, but it's not significantly different time-wise vs Bellevue in either of the commute directions.

Zelie/Harmony would swap the commutes. I think that would be even more of a shock than just giving up the bike commute.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
Yes I would just consider Bellevue to be more of a "walking" community than West View. I am very familiar with both areas. But that's just my opinion.
Bellevue is definitely more of a walking community. I offered West View as the only area with a business district that is truly in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Zelie/Harmony would swap the commutes. I think that would be even more of a shock than just giving up the bike commute.
He said they weren't ready for the suburbs like Cranberry. I offered Zelie and Harmony as small town alternatives to suburban living. Harmony is a neat little town.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
He said they weren't ready for the suburbs like Cranberry. I offered Zelie and Harmony as small town alternatives to suburban living. Harmony is a neat little town.
Eh, I just got the feeling that they also wouldn't be ready to live that far from the city. Just a feeling though. Some people also take an all-encompassing view of what is a "suburb" which could include such places even though they are more rural towns than suburbs. But it is a neat little area. You gotta go to the awesome Burgh'ers organic burger place (though this is in a strip mall off 19 in Harmony, not the denser town area).

Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,656 times
Hey, thanks for all the awesome, quick responses. We thought about West View also, but haven't seen any houses we like there. Otherwise it would definitely be in the running. We looked at Mt. Washington too, but didn't find any houses we loved. That ride home from work would get me in shape fast though... I used to ride Sycamore St. for training rides.

A small town feel would be great if it were close to the city, but I think Zelienople and Harmony are just a little too far. Same goes for Sewickley.

It's nice to hear good things about Bellevue. It seemed like a very livable place, but we haven't spent that much time there so it is tough to know.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Mt Washington is probably better if you're going to rent. I dunno how often they put many of those up for sale. On the Duquesne Heights side you get some sales, but then you're not as close to the Shiloh business district. Don't really know but I get the feeling apart from some of the Grandview stuff that most of those places within a couple blocks of Grandview were rented. Seemed like that when I lived there anyway.

If Bellevue is where you find houses you love, I think you could do worse. But yeah, go spend some time there. Just remember to BYOB. LOL Check out Bite Bistro, just opened, sounds fantastic (in the former Vivo space, by the same owners).

Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
As a dark horse candidate you may want to consider the Strip or Downtown. Both should have relatively easy commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh