Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times

Advertisements

That is a pretty big budget for this area. You might even look at private schools with that budget and rent something in the $1200 range that would still be pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 05:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
That is a pretty big budget for this area. You might even look at private schools with that budget and rent something in the $1200 range that would still be pretty nice.
Well, calgal didn't strictly say that the rental should be single-family house, but if they want one in those areas it's gonna be at least $2000 based on what I've seen. There could be some townhouses or apartments that rent for less than that, though, true enough. If you're definitely doing private school then yeah you can ignore the school district boundaries, but I'm not sure that gains you a ton of new rental possibilities. It would add some area possibilities, yes, just not thinking there would be a ton of rentals in them. All the close-by and desirable places within Allegheny County already have good schools (unless you go far enough south to cross the Ohio River, perhaps) so that only leaves what's in Butler County or this corner of Beaver County. Beaver County isn't going to yield a ton of additional rental possibilities, really, probably only a few. Butler County, I suppose then you might look harder at Cranberry and Adams Township and vicinity without worry of the small drop in school quality, but still, Seneca Valley and Mars Area schools are well above average.

With the main private schools not being that convenient, I'd probably be sticking to utilizing the public schools in a good district. But this is me talking; I don't have children!

Last edited by greg42; 03-11-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 06:14 PM
gg

One of the best schools is Fairview Elementary in Fox Chapel. You might be able to be in that district with that kind of rent. The commute would be around 30 min probably. Some of the North Hills schools are good like people have stated.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:46 PM

53 posts, read 123,960 times
Thanks everyone... you have given me lots of good ideas and different avenues to explore! I'll be checking out these schools and the areas around them. We'd ideally be looking for a house. What's a good website to check for houses? I am only googling right now. Is there a website where everyone lists? or do I have to go check each realtor's website separately? This will just be legwork on our part though. The company will help us look when we move.

How's the resale market if we were to buy and sell 2 or 3 years later?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:04 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,559,307 times
Although the market in Pittsburgh is stable and appreciating some, buying and selling in 2-3 years will most likely result in a loss after you account for taxes, fees, etc. Paying cash for a home mitigates this to some extent, but you still get hit with a fair number of fees (including the realtor's commission).

IMO... Craigslist is the best source for SFH rentals if you do it on your own. Otherwise get a realtor.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 PM

781 posts, read 1,612,410 times
The wealthy school districts are getting a back door hit. Everyone will be affected.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:56 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
The wealthy school districts are getting a back door hit. Everyone will be affected.
What are you talking about?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 PM

Read the budget, I did. Pay attention to the details. It is scary, but you can draw your own conclusions.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgal198 View Post
Thanks everyone... you have given me lots of good ideas and different avenues to explore! I'll be checking out these schools and the areas around them. We'd ideally be looking for a house. What's a good website to check for houses? I am only googling right now. Is there a website where everyone lists? or do I have to go check each realtor's website separately? This will just be legwork on our part though. The company will help us look when we move.

How's the resale market if we were to buy and sell 2 or 3 years later?
Howard Hanna is the largest realtor in the area. With all the school cuts I would advise renting vs. buying. Places that are considered desirable due to school districts may lose a lot of value if early childhood, AP, science, art, etc.. are cut. Add on large class sizes, you may want some freedom to move after the dust settles.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
If you know you're only staying 2-3 years absolutely rent. Even if it's just some possibility you'll only stay 2-3 years you should rent. Even though Pittsburgh metro is known generally as an area where you can buy for a similar cost to renting (as opposed to buying being somewhat more expensive, as is more typical) with a short turnaround buying is almost never advisable. There's certainly a chance that buying then selling in 3 years would turn out okay, but it's a small chance and a lot of hassle compared to renting. It would be an especially bad idea to do this with a new construction house, because there will continue to be availability of new ones for people who want them, so almost no one would bother to choose instead a very similar 3-year-old one.

For rentals look on Craigslist (Pittsburgh) and search for some of the names mentioned (Warrendale, Wexford, Pine, Franklin Park, etc). You can also check the classifieds of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on the newspaper's web site, but I don't think most bother to pay for an ad in the paper when they can get a free (or cheaper, whatever it is now) ad on Craigslist and still have it rent very quickly. And yes talking to Howard Hanna or other realty companies could net some additional possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh