Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,377,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I hope that is coming to an end and the government does layoffs and saves our money.

I could not agree MORE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 05:52 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,377,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Except many are getting pretty generous benefits from their employers in addition to higher wages. Seriously, compare the compensation (including wages and benefits) for people in the military versus contractors doing the same functions. It isn't remotely close. That is true in many other cases as well.

Many contractors are "independent contractors" and receive no benefits at all -- pension or health or vacation. More contractors are moving in that direction as it is the BENEFITS that cost so much.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Having worked at US Steel (remember them) and having everything taken care of cradle to grave, I'm glad I left. I take care of my own retirement and healthcare, something that most in this country will have to do.

The free ride is over.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Except many are getting pretty generous benefits from their employers in addition to higher wages. Seriously, compare the compensation (including wages and benefits) for people in the military versus contractors doing the same functions. It isn't remotely close. That is true in many other cases as well.
It's like you make stuff up! You have no idea. LOL

I have friends who have been in the military or have husbands who were in the military. The compensation is fantastic. Their copay is almost nothing---they pay a couple hunded per year, not month, for the family plan. They receive pension payments IN THEIR 30s! Try telling me that's cheap benefits---paying retired soldiers pensions starting in their 30s with health insurance premium payments practically at zero.

Companies like former Blackwater aren't providing benefits to their soldiers. None. Zero. Zip. Most soldiers are contract employees. The pay is around 130k at $500 per day. (Even though they are paid for 7 days per week, their leave is unpaid. Leave is usually 30 days after every 90 days. That means they only get to work 270 days per year, which comes to 135k.) Being a contract employee means paying self employment tax rates and then having to fully self fund health insurance and retirement with what's left.

They're not making more money than US military personnel who have years of service. And the soldiers who work for private contractors are experienced soldiers not the low paid US soldiers who have just a few years of service.

You're kidding yourself if you even remotely think that soldiers working as private contractors have a better financial gig. What they get out of working as independent contractors is the opportunity to do insanely dangerous missions---because they love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Many contractors are "independent contractors" and receive no benefits at all -- pension or health or vacation. More contractors are moving in that direction as it is the BENEFITS that cost so much.
That's right! Check out this clip from the recruitment webpage of the company that was formerly called Blackwater:

Quote:
Pay/Leave/Vetting
The pay for this position is between $450 as an Independent Contractor (IC) with potential pay raises. Health insurance is not provided. IC's are covered for injury by the Defense Base Act. Leave rotations are 90 days on / 30 days off. You can expect to dedicate 2.5 weeks to the training and vetting course. The course includes advanced shooting qualifications, PT test, and vairous other tasks.

COBRA Static Security

Old 03-15-2011, 08:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Alot of young people from this part of the country move to the DC area because it's the closest big city with many jobs available.

I considered at one time but the cheapest place I could afford was in either in Hagerstown, MD or Martinsburg, WV...quite a trek.

Some of people I knew that moved there didn't care for it (especially one the ones from WV...they were made of fun of alot) and move back within a couple of years.
The above has been true for decades! My BFF moved there about 40 years ago; one of her cousins from the Pgh area was already there. Her sister went down there a few years later. All are still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
OTOH, a lot of them are large companies that offer great bennies. My BFF above worked for a lot of govt. contractors; her DH used to work for the govt., retired and is now doing the same work for a contrator, with excellent bennies.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I actually wasn't specifically referring to Blackwater/Xe. The really big military contracts in Iraq and Afghanistan have been going to companies like KBR (formerly of Halliburton), DynCorp International, and L-3 Communications, and in general the biggest military contracts are still going to the old favorites like Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, and so on. All of these companies provide their employees with benefits.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:02 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The above has been true for decades! My BFF moved there about 40 years ago; one of her cousins from the Pgh area was already there. Her sister went down there a few years later. All are still there.

OTOH, a lot of them are large companies that offer great bennies. My BFF above worked for a lot of govt. contractors; her DH used to work for the govt., retired and is now doing the same work for a contrator, with excellent bennies.
Most Defense Contractors provide EXCELLENT benefits. I work for one of them that does, which will remain unnamed.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:12 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Most Defense Contractors provide EXCELLENT benefits. I work for one of them that does, which will remain unnamed.
I think the problem was that people were focusing specifically on the companies supplying combat/security personnel. As always when it comes to modern military spending, the guys with the guns in their hands are actually only a small fraction of what is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh