Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM

82 posts, read 141,034 times

Advertisements

I am looking for recommendations for reliable early morning (4:00am) transportation to the airport from Moon Township. In the past I have come very close to missing flights because of Yellow Cab and Super Shuttle and feel I am pressing my luck if I try them again.

I don't drive, so a park and ride is out.

I don't want to spend much, but willing to pay more than a taxi if it's dependable.

Last edited by TheMoonMan; 03-16-2011 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:34 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
That's a good question. I am flying out on vacation next weekend and considered Super Shuttle to get to the airport. Are they unreliable? I really don't trust any services around here, the ONE time I reserved a taxi, it was an hour late. I'll probably just end up parking at the airport extended parking lot or at The Pit Stop. But I'd love to hear some suggestions as well.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:14 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
The sidewalk.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Great thread title to spark the interest of the non-locals. Should ask about Mars next.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
considered Super Shuttle to get to the airport. Are they unreliable?
In my experience, SS isn't unreliable... but you just never know how many other stops they're going to have to make after they pick you up. Usually, they give you some ridiculously early pick-up time anyway (like 2.5 hrs before your flight). If I remember correctly, you live near the Airport, right? So they would probably pick up all their city locations first, and then get you on the way back to the Airport.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
In my experience, SS isn't unreliable... but you just never know how many other stops they're going to have to make after they pick you up. Usually, they give you some ridiculously early pick-up time anyway (like 2.5 hrs before your flight). If I remember correctly, you live near the Airport, right? So they would probably pick up all their city locations first, and then get you on the way back to the Airport.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably just drive there and pay the parking. I hate waiting for rides anyway.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
The last time I used them, I was scheduled to be picked up at 4:00 AM for a 6:00 flight. By 4:15 they the had not arrived so I called. The agent on the phone informed me the van was picking up other passengers and because I was close to the airport I was the last stop, and he would pick me up in approximately 30 minutes. Otherwise, he could have picked me up earlier, but then I would have to ride to the other stops.

Okay, a little frustrating, but understandable. After another call or two, the van finally arrived at 5:00, one hour late, with no other passengers in the van.

When we drove off and reached the end of my little side road, the driver prepared to turn right, when the airport is to the left. I asked him if we are going straight to the airport and he replied no, he had to pick up other people.

I told him he was already late and there is no way I will make my flight if we have to make other stops. So he abandoned the other stops and went straight to the airport. We made it there around 5:20. After I checked in (unfortunately had to check a bag), cleared security, and made my way to the gate, it was about 5:45 and the majority of passengers boarded already.

I had a few minutes to spare, but too close for my comfort. I hate to imagine what happened to those passengers he abandoned.

Maybe I will try them again, but would schedule my pickup at 3:00AM for a 6:00 flight.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:32 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,451 times
Wow...that's no good. I've only ever used them in NYC, so it probably works better there.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:44 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience MoonMan. That's pretty much what I was afraid of. I'll definitely drive myself to the airport. It's a shame services like this or taxis are so unreliable in this area.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 PM

When starting the booking process at SuperShuttle.com, I am given a choice of "ExecuCar". It is a sedan that only picks up your party, up to four people.

It is $45 from Moon, one way. That is $25 more than the shuttle van for just two of us, but it may be worth it if I knew that option was reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh