Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,764,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
The Highland ought to be a slam-dunk if the economy picks up - great location, at the intersection of several up-and-coming neighborhoods, good access to public transport (or what's left of it). The article mentions one-bedroom apartments, but I hope they'll include a few larger units.
People with any money and education won't live in the same building as section 8'ers. The only people that live along side of them are bicycle messengers and they usually don't. They are making a huge mistake in putting that kind of housing in an area with so much potential. The litter will still be all over the streets and graffiti everywhere. People don't want to live like that. No nice cafe's on that great street with huge sidewalks. I know I won't have interest in visiting if it is just a polished place with the same people living there. Talk about run down to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
It will also disappoint the people who know that Section 8 just doesn't work.
No one has self pride if things are given to them or they are always getting help to survive. Pride is the only answer and it does surprise me that there is such things like section 8.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 PM

32,603 posts, read 77,247,404 times
Like it or not, h_curtis, you can't just keep pushing around impoverished people, forcing them to become nomads against their will. The vast majority of lower-income people in Pittsburgh are law-abiding, peaceful, hard-working people who have just fallen on some hard times. I should know because I'm temporarily amongst their ranks.

I am a strong proponent of mixed-income projects leading to mixed-income neighborhoods. When you crowd many lower-income people together you create a dense concentration of misery that leads to a greater propensity for crime. For all the maligning I do of NoVA I'll give Reston, VA credit where credit is due because for a community with roughly 65,000 residents crime was nearly non-existent, even with a respectably-sized population of lower-income individuals. Why? When you group people from all walks of life together, you tend to create a better synergy of sorts. Reston had lower-income housing projects near to higher-end single-family home neighborhoods near to mid-range townhome communities. There was immense wealth to be had. There was immense poverty. By and large, though, everyone balanced each other out.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:45 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,551,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
People with any money and education won't live in the same building as section 8'ers. The only people that live along side of them are bicycle messengers and they usually don't. They are making a huge mistake in putting that kind of housing in an area with so much potential. The litter will still be all over the streets and graffiti everywhere. People don't want to live like that. No nice cafe's on that great street with huge sidewalks. I know I won't have interest in visiting if it is just a polished place with the same people living there. Talk about run down to nothing.
With respect, I don't think you know what you're talking about and I suspect you're grinding an axe.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 PM

893 posts, read 1,318,049 times
People who pay more $$ for their property will take care of their property plain and simple, section 8 people don't care if their fence is falling over and window is broken because they don't pay full price for the home.. what needs to be done is over in east liberty and closer to bakery square by the old Nabisco factory they need to raise the prices of those homes not to expensive because RICH people still aren't loving in the cit but the middle class slap a 90K-110k price tag on those property with a tax credit guarantee you'll get some law abiding citizens over in that area. honestly they need to build some sort of apt buildings over by whole foods where that AAA building is located ill love to get a apt over there for like 750/month its honestly quite simple.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,353,131 times
Are they doing anything to the part from East Liberty Bullavard to Staton Avenue??? I know that's the current bad part... Or are we talking about the former projects turned townhouse/apartment area boardering Larimer???
The mixed income/section 8 plan doesn't sound too bad from a crime stand point. Sure there will be a new batch of thugs bringing more: dope, grafitti & robberies but it's mainly gonna effect the other dealers & users. Think if the new section 8 D-boys wanna set up shop look what other neiborghoods border them... Garfield & Larimer they'll be gone quick... So the other 85% of the section8 tenants (law abiding nice people) can chill in peace. The only potential problem would be the So Icey Boyz... I honestly don't frequent East Liberty to tell if there still around so I can't comment on that.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 AM
gg

Interesting perspectives. I lived in a multicomplex in Miami with the occasional shootings. Lived on the border of Highland Park/East Liberty/Lincoln Larimer and am a cyclist. What experience do you people have that are saying I know nothing about any of this? I lived it for many years. No thanks. Maybe some people won't mind noisy, littering people that except drug activity and turn their heads if they see it, but not I. It only takes a few bad apples in a building to make it a miserable place to live. Good luck with what they are trying to do, but I am a realist that actually been in the front lines, not just watching news and making these comments. Good luck with it though.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,983,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
what needs to be done is over in east liberty and closer to bakery square by the old Nabisco factory they need to raise the prices of those homes not to expensive because RICH people still aren't loving in the cit but the middle class slap a 90K-110k price tag on those property with a tax credit guarantee you'll get some law abiding citizens over in that area.
Slapping (comparatively) huge price tags on property in Larimer isn't going to make the area any more desirable to anyone.... It will just become an overpriced ghetto (think upper Manchester).

Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,861,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
It will also disappoint the people who know that Section 8 just doesn't work.
That article actually supports the view that dispersing poverty CAN work, but won't work if it all you do is recreate concentrated poverty somewhere else.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,861,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Then this won't be very good. You saw what happened to the buildings with those people in them before. Looked like a third world country at best and honestly there are probably much better third world countries. You shattered my view of the place. Section 8 kills a lot of places. It is killing Verona.
Again, moving around concentrated poverty doesn't work, but actually dispersing poverty can work.

Ironically, segregationists like you are sabotaging these efforts precisely because you are just trying to move around concentrated poverty. Or maybe it is not ironic, and is just your intended goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh