Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Pushy might not be the best word, because everyone was nice. Yes, the Indian lady was pretty into it. The bakery lady in the second row on the end was wanting to sell and asked me more than once if I wanted to buy things. I am not saying anyone was rude, but I guess I just like to look in peace and ask questions if I want to. I will probably go back and get liver.
I don't know what you are talking about. Indian lady is not pushy. If she did not have me taste her food, I would not have known how good it is. It shows me that someone is going the extra mile and believes in her product. More than most of the vendors out there. She even made some custom ordered food for me once. I love the Public Market. Better food than the grocery stores. Best Indian food in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:34 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francoharris View Post
I don't know what you are talking about. Indian lady is not pushy. If she did not have me taste her food, I would not have known how good it is. It shows me that someone is going the extra mile and believes in her product. More than most of the vendors out there. She even made some custom ordered food for me once. I love the Public Market. Better food than the grocery stores. Best Indian food in Pittsburgh.
Here is what I wrote : "Pushy might not be the best word, because everyone was nice. Yes, the Indian lady was pretty into it. The bakery lady in the second row on the end was wanting to sell and asked me more than once if I wanted to buy things. I am not saying anyone was rude, but I guess I just like to look in peace and ask questions if I want to. I will probably go back and get liver."

Seems you didn't read what I wrote. Others said "pushy". I might go as far as saying, "hard selling" products and I said, "EVERYONE WAS NICE!"

Please read prior to posting and opinion.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:43 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
...you couldn't sell those cardboard tomatoes they stock at so many supermarkets in italy
well, i think you can get great food in italy, and not so great food. like everywhere else, its a matter of what you are willing to pay for. i do think italy is overrated, in fact - not because i dont think the food is amazing. its because like i said, everywhere you go in any modern country, you will have options.

there is absolutely nothing inferior with the quality of meat and produce in northeastern american cities. (ok, the gelato in italy is unmatchable, and chocolate from quebec and/or european countries is better, to me anyways).

on a brief several day stay there 3 years ago, i lived on a shoestring budget (in between flights, for a cheap employer), eating just pizza and gelato twice daily. (all i needed were calories to cover my marathon sight-seeing in Roma). the final evening there, i finally sat at a cafe and had a real meal. i was underwhelmed, yet not unsatisfied. it was...OK, just OK (the waiter wouldnt last a minute in a swank Shadyside restaurant, with his attitude and terrapin-like pace).

in italy, the tour guide (a roman) raved about the italian food she had in south florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
...I have been to public markets in other cities, most notably Boston's Faneuil Hall and Philly's Reading Terminal.
is the Reading Terminal aka "Broad Street Market"? if so, i had been there, and loved it. i found it to look less dilapidated than the Strip, where some buildings look bombed out, or ready to fall. dont get me wrong, i LOVE the strip district, but wish some exterior rehabs would happen on some of those neat structures.

Last edited by szug-bot; 04-03-2011 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: grammar!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:21 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
well, i think you can get great food in italy, and not so great food. like everywhere else, its a matter of what you are willing to pay for. i do think italy is overrated, in fact - not because i dont think the food is amazing. its because like i said, everywhere you go in any modern country, you will have options.

there is absolutely nothing inferior with the quality of meat and produce in northeastern american cities. (ok, the gelato in italy is unmatchable, and chocolate from quebec and/or european countries is better, to me anyways).

on a brief several day stay there 3 years ago, i lived on a shoestring budget (in between flights, for a cheap employer), eating just pizza and gelato twice daily. (all i needed were calories to cover my marathon sight-seeing in Roma). the final evening there, i finally sat at a cafe and had a real meal. i was underwhelmed, yet not unsatisfied. it was...OK, just OK (the waiter wouldnt last a minute in a swank Shadyside restaurant, with his attitude and terrapin-like pace).

in italy, the tour guide (a roman) raved about the italian food she had in south florida.
is the Reading Terminal aka "Broad Street Market"? if so, i had been there, and loved it. i found it to look less dilapidated than the Strip, where some buildings look bombed out, or ready to fall. dont get me wrong, i LOVE the strip district, but wish some exterior rehabs would happen on some of those neat structures.
i couldnt disagree more. i spent three weeks in italy and didnt have more than a couple bad or mediocre meals. indeed the quality of the produce in the markets was far superior than much of what youll find here. i found italy to be worth every bit of praise it receives. its true theres now bad food there but the overall quality is light years ahead of most of our country. in fact the region/local movement is borne out of italys slow food movement. thats not to say you cant get great local food here but lets be realistics...it hasnt caught on in supermarkets yet. im sorry you didnt enjoy hour meals there. we mostly ate pizza in naples. in rome we stuck with handmade pasta and entrees. romes best dishes are simple and fresh often pasta dishes like cacio e pepe. one of my favorites was simply fresh pasta with fresh ricotta.
broad st market is in harrisburg. reading terminal is in cc. the strips close cousin in philly is probably ninth st italian market.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM

487 posts, read 1,379,947 times
"Hmm, let's see. What to get on a Saturday morning. I think I'll pick up some apples for the picnic today ... maybe a couple of steaks for the grill tonight ... some natural dog snacks for Fido ... maybe some marshmallows for the kids ... and a growler of East End's Big Hop IPA!"

This still amuses me.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
"Hmm, let's see. What to get on a Saturday morning. I think I'll pick up some apples for the picnic today ... maybe a couple of steaks for the grill tonight ... some natural dog snacks for Fido ... maybe some marshmallows for the kids ... and a growler of East End's Big Hop IPA!"

This still amuses me.
Yeah, but you are making me hungry!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM

15 posts, read 103,779 times
we visited the market this last weekend..my first time.Not too bad ..would have helped to have more vendors.picked up two bottles of flavor infused olive oil.next time will grab somethign to eat...

Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Carnegie Library to have presence in the Market: http://pittsburghpublicmarket.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Pittsburgh-Public-Market-and-CLP.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-06-2011, 06:50 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
well, I found one really good vendor. the strawberry jam (and maybe others) from the berry patch is excellent. whole strawberries. their blueberry lemonade was also pretty good. to be sure, a couple great vendors isn't enough but it's a start. location still seems odd to me, this type of thing seems like it would be a smash downtown.
The Berry Patch, New Florence PA 15944 -- MerchantCircle.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh