Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
The Slopes behind the Flats are nice, lots of students live there to avoid the Carson St insanity.

But I wouldn't consider that walkable to Duquesne unless you're a cardio machine.
I feel for you. Sure you have to go up some steps, but it is a short walk depending where on the South Side you live. I have walked it and found it to be quite nice, but I enjoy walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Why don't you look for a rental in Crawford Square. Or maybe one in Washington Plaza or Chatham Center. There is also a new loft building in Uptown. Easy commute to work but lousy for other things, grocery, etc.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:47 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
I recomend South Side slopes. Most of the area is covered by City Steps that take you down to the South Side. The walk across the river there is high pedestrian travel territory. It's good even if you are going into town, let alone Duquesne.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:41 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Why not live downtown? There are lots of apartments and condos available downtown. Since Duquesne is so close to downtown, that would be your best option. The Strip District would also be a great option -- it's a hip neighborhood with everything right there, and easily walkable to Duquesne.

Also, the Bluff looks rough, but it's not as bad as it looks. You might be able to find a cute rental or fixer-upper Victorian right in the neighborhood.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Why not live downtown? There are lots of apartments and condos available downtown. Since Duquesne is so close to downtown, that would be your best option. The Strip District would also be a great option -- it's a hip neighborhood with everything right there, and easily walkable to Duquesne.

Also, the Bluff looks rough, but it's not as bad as it looks. You might be able to find a cute rental or fixer-upper Victorian right in the neighborhood.
I was thinking downtown or the strip as well. You would be surprised how far you can walk in 15-20 minutes. Would you rather sit in traffic that long? Deal with all the white knuckle drivers running frantic in their SUV's that are commuting in from the North Hills and Murrysville? You have some great options if you don't mind walking about 15-20 min.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM

18 posts, read 38,646 times
A friend used to rollerblade or bike into town from the Greenfield neighborhood along the Eliza Furnace Trail. I think it's about 2 and a half miles.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 PM

250 posts, read 359,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I feel for you. Sure you have to go up some steps, but it is a short walk depending where on the South Side you live. I have walked it and found it to be quite nice, but I enjoy walking.
Well, it depends where you are on the Slopes really. If you can get something around Pius I suppose it wouldn't be too bad, probably about 1.5 miles with not too many steps. But most of the housing is east of the park and a steep climb. So you end up coming down 23rd St, over the Birmingham Bridge, and down the length of the Bluff. Or down the length of the Flats and over 10th St. Bridge (where you're greeted with another enormous flight of stairs or a nasty tunnel)... Either way, 2 miles at least, and a heck of an uphill chug coming home. Don't get me wrong, I've done it, and it isn't too bad on a calm day, but I think I'd go crazy doing that every day. Might as well live in Oakland or the North Side.

RE: Downtown... If you can afford that, you can afford a bus pass. Also, though it's better than it used to be, it's still pretty dead after 6.

I'll also say, if you haven't figured it out yet, to avoid Washington Plaza. It looks nice and convenient, but in reality is a poorly run dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh