Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Generalizing an entire population because of one's interactions with a small segment of that population is never a good idea and makes you look ignorant. It also causes you to miss out on a lot of good.

It's like saying that because you know a few red heads who are clumsy, that all red heads are clumsy. (trying to think of something that isn't going to offend too many people- the first thing that came to mind are racial stereotypes, but I wasn't going to open that pandora's box).
Pardon me for being unfortunate to have been exposed to the negatives that NoVA had to offer---the cutthroat status-obsessed people, the urban sprawl, the traffic congestion, the astronomical cost-of-living---and not being lucky enough to have the positive attributes there find me. I tried for a year-and-a-half to find the good there. I just couldn't. Person after person lied to me and deceived me to the point where I isolated myself socially because I didn't want to take the risk of being exposed to pain inside like that ever again. There was even evidence of that within my own church! I'll forever blame that area for giving me the severe trust issues I now have.

EDIT: This is my last contribution to this thread. I apologize for veering off-topic. I've been shaken up and upset all day by a dream I had last night that put the NoVA wounds fresh in the forefront of my mind. Unfortunately it's my day off, so when I get a lot of time to think I tend to ramble sometimes because I don't know what else to do. I just hate what my tenure in that area did to me. I grew up in an insulated environment where everyone looked out for everyone else as they did themselves. NoVA turned that onto its head for me, and I still haven't reconciled that yet.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 AM

35 posts, read 63,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
This is an international discussion forum, people are going to make all kinds of comments. Your "request" for information came off a bit demanding to me. So you'll set yourself up for comments like the ones being made to you.

Ok firstly, No I was not asking in a demandingway. like "answer the question or esle" that wasnt intended for everybody. it just in some forums people always make rude remarks the last part was just simply stating if your to come into my thread and say rude remarks like "hasnt this been asked before?" or " why do people keep posting the same question?" FOR the people who insist on acting like that .it what that last part of my post was for. who that was regarded to was not to everybody. so if you take it wrong thats on you before you jumped and assume i was being rude you could have asked to clarify what I meant. I wasnt demanding anything just . stating these are MY question so if you dont want to answer the "same question" then just dont. and i meant dont just post a rude remark because you dont like that someone is asking the same question as some people claim people do.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Interesting lol I was a pre pharmacy last year but hated it so I switched to the business school. Will you be coming to the school as a third year professional student or as a pre pharmacy freshman?

pre pharmacy freshman! so excited! what did you hate about pharmacy? how tough is it?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
One of the few nice, quiet, areas in REAL Hill District (we all know Upper Hill is a totally different world so I disqualify it) is Crawford Squre. Crawford Sqare = sets of nice townhouses/duplexes filled with mixed-income whites, blacks, and a few (and growing) population of asians. Idk if it will fit your budget though... Also, DownTown, Bluff and/or the Southside are arguably better choices... I'm not a Duquense student or anything so I'm not sure???
Despite all the gentrification, as a young white lady you pretty much shouldn't walk to deep on Center Avenue alone, mainly at night, and there's an even greater of a risk of trouble during the Summer... Part of Center and Webster Avenues become filled with Blood gang members so don't wear too much blue.

thanks i'll make a note of that when searching! its very difficult looking for a apartment from so far away.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I agree. I didn't answer because I wasn't thrilled with the attitude of your first post. Who do you think you are, came to my mind. Out of kindness, I will give you my take since I have hopes that you will learn that Pittsburgh is a nice place with many nice people. I would go in the opposite direction from the Hill District. The South Side and Downtown are the directions you can commute from. Don't go towards the Hill, if you don't need to. Too much crime, but it can't be compared to the slums of NJ or slums in Miami. Compared to those it is as safe as it can be, but for Pittsburgh standards, the Hill really isn't a place to walk around at night for a single woman.

I have a feeling your personality will be interestingly received here, if you act the same as your Internet personality is perceived. I suggest you treat people here without accusation and just ask questions and be nice instead of stomping your foot and demanding an answer. You are lucky people overlooked it and still gave you good advice.
well it wasnt my intention I wasnt demanding a answer I WAS ASKING!. the bottom part was for people who like to be rude to people just for asking questiosn & want to have a negative attitude it wasnt intended for everybody answers. it was for the rude people who think asking the same question that people may have asked it annoying. if you think im stomping my foot demanding a answer,well i wasnt I was simply making it clear that i would appreciate if people didnt respond with the "this question as already been asked" type response i rather people just kindly answer my question IF THEY CHOOSE. but if all your going to do is come in and be rude I was just saying yes my question might be dumb or already asked in the past but for the ones who insisted on telling me that but not answer a question and be helpful just keep comments like that to yourself. and dont post at all. its not that serious.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
When I read "SO GET OVER IT," I realized helping her serves no purpose. I'd really rather she stay where she is.

Peace. Out.

okay thats get over it wasnt for EVERYBODY. it was for people who think its so annoying that people who ask questions like I did is annoying then I really dont care if you dont if you think is sooo annoying then dont be help if all you think im doing is asking dumb routine question. its just a forum iits not that serious.

and P.S i really dont care if you rather I stay where I'm at. we will never meet anyway. I was just asking questions because I really needed these questions answered so i would liked if people not be rude even if it is a routine question about pittsburgh.thats what I meant behind it im far from a rude person. you didnt have to respond if you took it THAT offensive.

peace out back to you...

Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,754 times
OP, the more you respond in such an aggressive and hostile tone, the less help you will receive. Also, if you more clearly expressed yourself, you might get a better response (i.e. use capital letters, punctuation, etc.).

If you are a freshman, perhaps you should look into living in the dorms.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaButterfly View Post
Ok firstly,
Is grammar and proper English in your curriculum at the big "D"?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Is grammar and proper English in your curriculum at the big "D"?
Scott,

I was gonna say the same thing, but better YAC gives you the slap down.

Copanut

Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
I didn't answer because of the tone of the original post. I could tell that no matter what I said, it wouldn't be enough. Plus the questions were so incredibly general it doesn't seem like the OP has put any effort on her own to learning about the city that she is moving to, and wants spoon fed the information.
And who are you to say I havent?. the internet is only but so helpful but I thought it be better to just ask these general direct questions to people here who can give me better answer then just reading some on the internet.fiy: i have asked people about Pittsburgh but there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion people pov's are different.

again this is what the last part of my post meant for people who arent going to do anything but judge and critize what i choose to ask. if it so general then fine dont answer but you dont have to be rude. ok they may general or even dumb questions but if i dont know that is why i made a post thread to ask questions I liked to know. not to hear opinions about my questions.

actually the people who have answer my questions help me alot. with information i needed to know which is all i simply wanted. if you think I want spoon fed information then again your opinion, you dont have to respond with a rude comment or at all. just go on to another post. very simple. I wasnt being rude. it only but some much information i can getlliving far away ,but again I have asked and look up info plenty of times just wanted povs from people living there now on simple questions I was curious about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh