Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 14,125 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide any insight on Moderator cut: link removed, please read our terms of service

I am 22 and fresh out of college and just got a job with a construction company in the area and am looking for a place to live (relocating from NE Ohio).

These town homes seem awesome, and at only $715 for a 3 bedroom, it almost seems too good to be true. Is there something wrong with the McKees Rocks area that I don't know about?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2011 at 03:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 04:05 PM

210 posts, read 471,278 times
Meyers Ridge is run by the Allegheny County Housing Authority. This site was once project housing that was torn down and reestablished into it's current housing. It is income based and the last I remember you needed to fall within a guideline (not just under, but within a lower/upper range based on the size townhome you were applying for and your family size). It is still considered low-income housing and I remember there being something about you paying part of the utilities (to establish independence from relying on the system). Don't hold me to this last part because I'm basing it on my memory when I considered applying there right after my divorce.

While the area housing was rebuilt it still suffers some of the lingering issues associated with county run housing (drugs, crime) though to a much lesser degree than it's predecessor. If I were new to Pittsburgh and looking for housing I would not choose county run housing communities unless financially I was limited. I base my opinion on having lived in county housing. You can see what properties they own here: http://www.achsng.com/sites/meyers.htm (that's MeyersRidge direct link on the county housing site). From their site:
Quote:
The ACHA currently owns and manages approximately 3,200 low income public housing units throughout Allegheny County (shown below)

I think you could find alternative and equally appealing options unless, as I mentioned earlier, your financial situation prevents you.

EDIT TO ADD: I don't think McKees Rocks is a terrible community. My post is directed only towards my thoughts about Meyers Ridge and county run housing in general. McKees Rocks is a lower income community, there are drug problems, there may be a slightly elevated crime rate in comparison to other areas. I lived there for several years in my early 20's and didn't have any issues. I think the biggest knock I'd give them is their school system. If I didn't have kids I wouldn't mind the area as it's convenient to town and housing is affordable.

Last edited by feanix; 01-14-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feanix View Post
I think you could find alternative and equally appealing options unless, as I mentioned earlier, your financial situation prevents you.
Any idea where? In my searches on apartments.com, forrent.com, rent.com, etc. Meyers Ridge seems to be the nicest, but you seem to know better than I do.

My budget is between $750 and $800 per month. I really only need a 1 bed/1 bath place, but a 2 bed/1.5 or 1 bath is preferable.

Thanks for the info!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
McKees Rocks becomes the hood in the soutern part around Sheraden (the bad parts make it the worst part of the West Side), Esplen (safe), & Cartier's City (iffy, but not too bad). In the southern part it's not too bad, yet it's gang turf (especially in the projects). McKees Rocks gets notably more gritty & slumy in the southern part too. Although, it's not as bad as it people say it is, but still gang violence, and crime occurs.
Over the summer two 17year old gang members tried to shot a 30year old gang member, probably their leader. They ploted too shot him through his car window. Instead, they shot his 3year old daughter in the back seat. No debating now urban pioneers that it's just the average, urban, citylife nieborghood. Yet the rest of the area closer to Stowe Township (safe) is a safe poor to working class/lower middle class (prodominately white) nieborghood.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 PM

33 posts, read 80,789 times
apartments.com and the sites you mentioned are not really the sites to use for affordable apartments. check craigslist or the pittsburgh post gazette classifieds. Your price range should get you a decent 2 bedroom almost anywhere in the city. If you look hard enough a 3 bedroom wouldnt be impossible in that range either. If I were you I'd focus my search on the eastend. Get on craigslist and search in shadyside, squirrel hill, friendship, bloomfield, highland park or morningside or also lawrenceville.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:14 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadysider412 View Post
apartments.com and the sites you mentioned are not really the sites to use for affordable apartments. check craigslist or the pittsburgh post gazette classifieds. Your price range should get you a decent 2 bedroom almost anywhere in the city. If you look hard enough a 3 bedroom wouldnt be impossible in that range either. If I were you I'd focus my search on the eastend. Get on craigslist and search in shadyside, squirrel hill, friendship, bloomfield, highland park or morningside or also lawrenceville.
Yeah, this is especially true if you want to be around other young people.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
Where will you be working?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:46 AM

210 posts, read 471,278 times
Areas around the city I can think off the top of my head are:

Penn Hills
Monroeville
Verona
Pitcarin
Greentree
Whitehall
McKees Rocks
Munhall
Frick Park
Lawrenceville
Crafton
Carnegie
Sharpsburg
Oakland
Greenfield

Really this isn't anywhere near all-inclusive of chocies you have that would fall into your price range several would include even a 2 bedroom within that price range.

Someone asked earlier where you would be working and I think that's a very valid question. You could pick an area close to where you work and cut out some commute time.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Wow, haven't checked the thread since my last post, thanks for all of the replies everyone!

I am working for a construction company and will be on a project refurbishing Emsworth dam. The actual project site is on Neville Island.

I will definitely be getting on craigslist and the classifieds to look for other places. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Mike_L; 01-15-2011 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 03:31 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,868 times
Some complexes in the North Hills: Apartments for Rent in North Hills | Apartment in North Hills*Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh