Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,597 times

Advertisements

hi i m new on this forum
i just got accepted in pittsburgh university. i currently live in philadelphia PA so i schedule a campus tour with my mom because i ll be living on campus. we will be arriving at night and we are looking for a cheap place or hotel to stay around $40 -$60 for just one night.
thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 12,932 times
we used priceline and got the wyndham downtown for about the max price you want.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
It;s tough to find a room for that price near Pitt - if you are driving from Philly, you could try some places in Monroeville. There is a Red Roof Inn and a Days Inn which is in your price range. Just be sure to leave early in the morning for Oakland since there is heavy rush hour traffic on 376 weekdays.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,387 times
Try this one. It's usually around $39-$45 per night, and not that far away.
http://www.motel6.com/reservations/m...FYh_5QodtxGrsg

Not the Taj Mahal, but clean and decent for the price.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 PM

59 posts, read 129,763 times
Use Hotwire, similar to Priceline but no bidding (typically ends up the same for me price wise anywhere I go with either site). You can check the likely matches for your hotel based on star rating and neighborhood at betterbidding.com

But, in all seriousness, I would limit your search to Downtown and Oakland. One of my favorite things about Pitt is the urban campus. I think getting a chance to "stay" in the city when I flew up here several years ago to look at the school truly sold me on not only on Pitt, but the city as well. Walk around Downtown. Walk around Oakland. Think about it... you might as well go for the whole experience.

I don't know if you've been here before, but its a shame you won't be coming through the Fort Pitt Tunnels from Philly to see "the city" for the first time. Knowing nothing about the city, I was in awe. And I grew up in South Florida.

Going on eight years and a degree later (damn, time flies), short of an amazing job offer out of town, I'm not going anywhere soon.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
you might wanna try Briarwood Manor. may not look like much from the outside, but its rather elegant and cozy inside (and big). the neighborhood, too, is close to bloomfield, and up the hill from Butler Street (of the famed Lawrenceville that you may have read about in these forums).

so besides visiting Pitt, you and your parent can check out the heart of the city (the 'manor' is on a quiet street, although close to the hustle of bloom and the bustle of Butler).

congratulations on your being accepted to the University. i hope you enjoy your time here - i think you will find subtle differences here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh