Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 5,896 times

Advertisements

We have no statistics to prove anything, but anecdotally we have met more than a few young couples in our store who are shopping for items to renovate the wonderful old houses they are buying here within city limits. Even without the commuter train people see the value of living in this area. Rt. 28, from the New Ken ramp to the Highland Park Bridge, is 10 minutes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Heirlooms View Post
We have no statistics to prove anything, but anecdotally we have met more than a few young couples in our store who are shopping for items to renovate the wonderful old houses they are buying here within city limits. Even without the commuter train people see the value of living in this area. Rt. 28, from the New Ken ramp to the Highland Park Bridge, is 10 minutes!
This is true... well maybe a little longer than 10, but close and probably few people know about that. Also that downtown has huge potential. It is flat and has great bones. It may happen at some point. I do feel teachers in Allegheny County will keep that place in play. I mean they don't pay into healthcare and those costs are wildly out of control. That being said the increases in taxes that are going to continue year after year may make that a very interesting option. I have to say, if there was a great bike way to get from there to the Highland Park bridge and maybe some train, all of a sudden BOOM, I think you would see quite a few people snooping around. They have some little places that are interesting. House of 1000 Beers, the Crow Bar and P&M Pizza. Yeah, I know Arnold, but that is right there and flat.

Anyway, I miss the old Gateway Theater. Ah, showing my age and... to be quite honest knowledge of that region. It is on my radar screen as I type this.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Ever hear of the McKeesport Flyer?
Apparently nothing actually changed in the 24 years since that shut down, or the 38 years since it started. Oh and also the Allegheny Valley is exactly the same as the Mon Valley, wow! Learn something new every day....

Old 10-23-2012, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
How many people do you think will have a job in Pgh and move to that area?
My husband and I are considering a move to New Ken within the next few years, both to be closer to my parents (who live in Allegheny Township) and to get out of the city yet still be within a reasonable commute to Pittsburgh. Specifically, we are looking into the Mt. Vernon area, which is a nice little neighborhood of New Ken. And yes, taxes are another reason we are considering a move to Westmoreland County.

I am surprised that more people are not willing to take a chance on New Ken just for the taxes alone.

Plus, if we live in Mt. Vernon it will give us good parking for the garage sales in July.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
The completion of the work on 28 could make this area a reasonable bedroom area for downtown Pittsburgh workers.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The completion of the work on 28 could make this area a reasonable bedroom area for downtown Pittsburgh workers.
I think it's more likely that Route 28's completion will signal more new construction in Harrison Twp., Frazer Twp., East Deer Twp., Springdale Twp., Harmar Twp., South Buffalo Twp., and Sarver Twp. more than a revival of New Kensington. Like it or not the majority of Americans still seem to prefer plowing over trees for McMansions rather than reinvigorating outlying depressed mill towns. The irony is that as those townships boom, the "new and improved" Route 28 will only become congested again in another decade.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Sarver Twp.
There's no such thing. Sarver is one of those zip code things. It is contained in Buffalo Township, Butler County.

That is as opposed to South Buffalo Township, which is in Armstrong County.

Both of those are in the same school district despite the county line (Freeport Area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh