Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 12,104 times

Advertisements

I travelled to McKees Rocks for work. GREAT PAY! I worked on the corner of Chartiers and Island Ave. I am from Monroeville area. This town is nothing like what I am used to. Every single week there was a shooting, murder, drug related violent crime. It is not a city you would want to relocate your children to. You said that you are looking for somewhere that you can easily access without a car. I would be nervous to walk to my car let alone in this run down neighborhood. In the 6 months I worked in McKees Rocks, our store was robbed at least a dozen times, held up at gun point, had a co worker get shot and die in front of her three young children. They do not have a good school district, they do not have a direct line to their police department in case of emergency. Not at all a safe environment. If you look through the news reports there are millions of articles of tragic deaths, shootings, and drugs that you will find. If you are looking for a safe environment, that will not require car transportation for everything I suggest Squirrel Hill. Everything is in walking distance, it is safe and very friendly. Monroeville area where I live is bigger and not so great for walking to get around but has a GREAT school district (Gateway). I would suggest you look into squirrel hill over the other options you mentioned. That is for 100% certainty where I would take my kids of the choices you were looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 05:32 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,358,118 times
[quote] Every single week there was a shooting, murder, drug related violent crime [quote]

Are you taking 'bout McKess Rocks, near by borough of City of Pittsburgh??? Sure there are some bad hoods of da Burgh where this could MAYBE be true (Homewood, projects of the Hill District, East Hills, Northview Heights, Upper Manchester, Larimer, Central Wilkinsburg, Beltzhoover, Knoxville, or Mt. Oliver Borough) but McKees Rocks ain't close too being one of 'em!!! I can believe the burglarizes/robberies/gun point/and R.I.P to your friend yet I struggle to believe if this story is true (it would've been on the news).

[quote] Not at all a safe environment. If you look through the news reports there are millions [quote].
Not really most people including the residents I know say its "bite is worse than it's bark," and that most of McKees Rocks is a safe but gritty working class community... I'm perfectly aware of gang activity in McKees Rocks and the Westside but it seems to me as long as you don't led a thug life you should be OK living anywhere on the Westside.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 PM

14 posts, read 40,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfuljoy View Post
We're cautious about buying before we have a chance to get to know the areas of Pittsburgh which is why we are choosing to rent. Actually found 3 duplexes in our price range in Squirrel Hill, but will check out Oakmont. You seem very knowledgeable -- any chance you can provide input on the following schools: Pittsburgh Allerdice HS and Colfax Middle School which I believe are the feeder schools for Regent Square and Squirrel Hill?
Colfax/Allderdice is a good feeder pattern. I would not recommend Oakmont to you. It is not a 'young family' neighborhood and while it has a business district it is not really walking friendly, and does not have a lot of amenities. If you want a walkable neighborhood, with lots of amenities, library, etc, that has a friendly feel and is very close to Pitt (easily accessible on bus), and good schools, Squirrel Hill is really the best bet. Point Breeze could also work, and Regent Square, both are east end neighborhoods, but with much smaller business districts.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,210,104 times
Point Breeze around the Reynolds St. business district is very attractive and has a "small town" feel that Mr. Rogers would feel at home in- and that might have been where he was from.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 PM

524 posts, read 1,031,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugcris View Post
I would not recommend Oakmont to you. It is not a 'young family' neighborhood and while it has a business district it is not really walking friendly, and does not have a lot of amenities.
Just want to correct the inaccurate description of Oakmont - not sure where this poster gets their information, because it's about 180 degrees from reality.

Oakmont is a very family-friendly town, and extremely walking friendly. There are lots of children's activities; youth dance, soccer, basketball, baseball leagues, etc. Students walk to school; all the streets (except a very few) have sidewalks, and there is a walking trail that extends the length of the town along the railroad tracks. As far as amenities, Oakmont has a lot of restaurants, both casual and high-end, clothing stores, coffee shops, florists, pizza shops, hardware stores, an original Carnegie library, a great independent movie theatre and the best bakery in Western Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh