Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:20 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Except that's not what he was clubbed for. If you have to minimize the facts, you probably don't have a case.
nobody's minimizing the facts. if you have to overemphasize the case, you're probably just being an apologist.
yeah, the guy was a douche and deserved to be thrown out but batting the guy in the face was an excessive use of force. like I said, just think what would have happened to him if it was out of sight. this department has a pretty good rep for excessive use of force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 05:10 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,470 times
And here is a girl that got arrested too. I think it may be the one who yelled "stop it" in the other video;

YouTube - Another arrest at PNC Park 4-11-11

Old 04-11-2011, 05:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
nobody's minimizing the facts. if you have to overemphasize the case, you're probably just being an apologist.
yeah, the guy was a douche and deserved to be thrown out but batting the guy in the face was an excessive use of force. like I said, just think what would have happened to him if it was out of sight. this department has a pretty good rep for excessive use of force.
I am not overemphasizing the case and so I don't have to be an apologist. Here's the bottom line: if you're drunk, belligerent, commit assault, resist arrest, and prove resistant to other non-lethal methods to get you under control, you're gonna get a well-deserved nightstick up your ass. All this guy had to do to avoid this fate was make a different decision somewhere along the chain of events, such as a) not become drunk enough to lose control of his impluses; b) not become obnoxious enough to gain the attention of security; c) leave peacefully when asked; d) not assault security on the way out; e) obey the lawful orders of police; and f) not resist arrest. By failing to make a better choice than the ones he made at each of these steps, this mope is 100% responsible for what came his way.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:34 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Guys, as the discussion continues please remember you're not at the stadium, you're not drunk (I hope )and you don't have to fight over this. In case you fell like you have to, remember the security here is armed with sticks made of "restriction from posting", it's a fairly sturdy material and getting hit by one won't be pleasant
Yac.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:17 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Yac, just be aware that I'm video taping your every move.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:51 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Guys, as the discussion continues please remember you're not at the stadium, you're not drunk (I hope )and you don't have to fight over this. In case you fell like you have to, remember the security here is armed with sticks made of "restriction from posting", it's a fairly sturdy material and getting hit by one won't be pleasant
Yac.
SDorry,, ***!!!!!!!!1 'm drunjk ass i typpeee thsi!!!!!!11

LOL

Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
In this case, assaulting security staff is the same thing as assaulting a police officer in the eyes of the officer and when you do it right in front of the officer, you deserve what you got....

Beer muscles or not, the officers will show you who is in charge.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
The drunk deserved what he got. It's very easy, whatever a police officer asks you to do, do it.

On the other hand, it IS hard to watch that team sober.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I am not overemphasizing the case and so I don't have to be an apologist. Here's the bottom line: if you're drunk, belligerent, commit assault, resist arrest, and prove resistant to other non-lethal methods to get you under control, you're gonna get a well-deserved nightstick up your ass. All this guy had to do to avoid this fate was make a different decision somewhere along the chain of events, such as a) not become drunk enough to lose control of his impluses; b) not become obnoxious enough to gain the attention of security; c) leave peacefully when asked; d) not assault security on the way out; e) obey the lawful orders of police; and f) not resist arrest. By failing to make a better choice than the ones he made at each of these steps, this mope is 100% responsible for what came his way.
you 100% misssed the point. of course it should be fairly easy to resist a police beatdown but that in no way justifies excessive use of force. yeah, the guy was in the wrong, but that's not what I'm saying though it seems to color the perceptions of people who support police brutality
at the very least, it appears it is not nearly as cut and dry "the cops were right" as you would assert
Quote:
Chief Harper said his office is examining whether it was necessary for officers to deploy a Taser on Scott James Ashley, 41, and then hit him with their batons...The video starts with the detective leading Mr. Ashley down the stairs. At the bottom, Mr. Ashley elbows a PNC Park employee, sparking the confrontation with police...
After a Taser failed to subdue Mr. Ashley, the video shows both officers hitting him several times with their batons, first in the upper body, once near his head, and then several times in the legs....
Beth Pittinger, the executive director, said it's too early to reach any conclusions but said she has concerns over the amount of force she saw in the video, particularly at the end.
Read more: Police reviewing arrest of man at PNC Park
elbowing a stadium personel is not the same as assaulting an officer anywhere on this planet

Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
You committ assault on anyone, especially someone who a particular officer probably works with day in and day out, right in front of that officer, you are darn tooting gonna get treated as though you were assaulting a fellow officer or at the very least, a personal friend of that officer.

Couldn't make out the audio clearly but I am sure the perp wasn't listening to commands and after the taser didn't penetrate his light coat he was wearing, what other options did the officers have? Slightly excessive, maybe, but nothing out of the realm of what I expect from any officer confronting a non-compliant individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh