Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I suppose I'd rather have a USEFUL business here in Polish Hill (i.e. a laundromat?) instead of dive bars, a records store, a comic book store, etc., but to each her or his own.
They aren't mutually exclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Where is the nearest laundromat? Bloomfield? Although I know a lot of people have lived in the same homes around there for a while, I still find it odd that a high percentage of owner-occupied places would not have a washer in this day and age. Maybe there are fewer owner-occupied places than I thought.

Still, there may not be enough biz for a laundromat there. It would only draw from there, methinks. It's the kind of business that has to be a fairly decent size to make it pay, unless perhaps you can find a small space with dirt cheap rent.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Where is the nearest laundromat? Bloomfield? Although I know a lot of people have lived in the same homes around there for a while, I still find it odd that a high percentage of owner-occupied places would not have a washer in this day and age. Maybe there are fewer owner-occupied places than I thought.

Still, there may not be enough biz for a laundromat there. It would only draw from there, methinks. It's the kind of business that has to be a fairly decent size to make it pay, unless perhaps you can find a small space with dirt cheap rent.
There's a laundromat about a mile away by foot down on Penn Ave near 38th st or so.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Don't forget to include your TPS Report.

and I thought you had no sense of humour.

need you to come in on Saturday

Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
They aren't mutually exclusive.
Isn't there a laundromat that sells beer on Center Avenue? I always thought that was a great marketing idea.
I think it is/was called Suds & Duds.

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-13-2011 at 01:40 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 AM

59 posts, read 129,742 times
Duds and Suds closed several years ago. I used them every now and then when I lived in North Oakland when I couldn't get my clothes done at work. They never served beer... unless it was in a secret compartment through the detergent machine. Though I suppose you could've walked up Liberty Ave or down Aiken to Walnut to grab one beer and turn back to get your clothes.

I spent a winter in College Station, Texas (Texas A&M) recently, and there was a place called Harvey Washbangers right on the main drag. More washers and dryers then any laundromat I've seen here, and through a door in the same building is a full service bar and grill. With good food and decent beer prices. Now here's the kicker... there was a board with corresponding washer/dryer numbers and lights inside the bar that told you if your load was done. And yes, you could take your beer inside the laundromat section while you folded stuff.

Paying attention was another issue. It was a bit more pricey load wise compared to a regular laundromat... but it was good on occasion. It made laundry fun!

Closest thing I've seen to that place here is the laundromat and bar which share the building entrance on 2nd Ave in Hazelwood. I figure an idea like that would make a killing in Oakland. But I'm sure the LCB, whiny neighbors, or do nothing neighborhood associations would kill that idea forthwith.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Thanks, catch.
Having my own washer/dryer, I never used it and apparently listened to local lore.

When I move back to the Pitts in November, I'll remember that Suds & Duds is no more.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Thanks, catch.
Having my own washer/dryer, I never used it and apparently listened to local lore.

When I move back to the Pitts in November, I'll remember that Suds & Duds is no more.
Years ago a friend of mine paid a prank on his roommate by telling him that "Wings, Suds and Spuds" in Moon was a bar with a laundromat (it's just a bar/restaurant). He got the roommate to go one night and walk in the bar with his laundry basket.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I suppose I'd rather have a USEFUL business here in Polish Hill (i.e. a laundromat?) instead of dive bars, a records store, a comic book store, etc., but to each her or his own.
a. There's a record store in Polish Hill?
b. What do you have against records?
c. Why don't YOU open a laundromat?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
A laundromat is actually a great business idea. I can't think of an easier business to run -- just show up once a week to clean and collect quarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh