Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
I'm sorry if I offended you but perhaps most of the Hill District's shootings excluding the project's are caused by none-residents. You're right I read up about Somers Drive, there has been only one recent murder (2008) and it seemed like it was not gang related. Yet I can assure you that there are gangs in the Hill... While Bedford/Middle Hill sets did feud with Terrace Village/Crawford Roberts sets at one time. Plus Family relation doesn't stop gangs in Homewood, Hazelwood, Homestead, or McKeesport have turf boundries separated only by a few streets and it wouldn't be a first time where cousins killed cousins in those places. Also, Bloods do claim turf in Bedford Dwellings atleast in and around Chuncey Drive. So the source I initially read mentioning cripz must have been about a rival gang. Yet the Hill isn't a victim neighborhood... Somebody from the Northside was killed in the Hill not too long ago. Yet you're right I was ignorant but gangs like the bloods do exist in the Hill, and they contribute alot of crime in the projects.

I'm not a stranger to the Hill... I have relatives who live there and I've walked/drove in a few areas through out the Hill. I do know that: from Crawford Sqaure & Sugar Top to the gang plagued 'jects that make Addison Terrace & Reed Roberts there is still a great sense of community!
I grew up around the Bedford projects most of my life, and unfortunately know some of the actors involved in alot of the stuff that goes on around there. The media/police make it seem that there is a gang presence there but what it really is going on is a few young boys hustling as a group and Pretending to be gang bangers. Chauncey Drive is a haven for various hustlers many of them are transplants by way of females that they are staying with. Now as far as Sugartop is concerned, since they had starting relocating people from the lower and middle hill Sugartop has been plagued by hoodlums. I have heard of some gang-like activity up there but most of them are wannabees. Reed and Roberts has always had probelms due the proximity to 5th Ave.

I have some family members who can attest to the sense of community that existed there years ago, but it is not the way that it use to be. I had seen the changes over time as people who once held the community close pass away or moved b/c they could no longer afford to live there.

In about 20-30 years the Hill will be a totally different place to live, already the students are taking over Crawford Square and it all but priced out many of the original residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 10:08 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
The housing, infrastructure and sanitary conditions were deplorable, and vice was rampant, with outbursts of violence. But former residents remember strong family support systems and help from aldermen when they ran short of money. They remember feeling safe.
I think that is more of a testament of that time rather than place. Had it been left alone, it probably would be entirely different today and they'd be still yearning for the strong family support systems, etc. The federal government has sort of stepped in to fill that role starting with LBJ's "Great Society" programs. But it's support without human ties.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:11 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
FYI, public meeting on the Arena's future if anybody's interested:

City of Pittsburgh Council District 6*·*News Article

Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
FYI, public meeting on the Arena's future if anybody's interested:

City of Pittsburgh Council District 6*·*News Article
Thanks for the information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh