Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:50 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Sorry, but I think I need to know what you are drinking? I have been pricing online, which you can do very easily, because I was hoping to get better deals on wine and single malts. I have come up empty. I have not tried Connecticut, but that is too far away.
Liquor-wise, I buy rum and tequila (I bought a bottle of Patron that goes for about 50 here for 30 in CT). I'm not well versed on wine prices, but have you looked into Total Wine in Virginia? At the very least they have a huge selection.

Also, I'm a beer nerd and PA's prices are definitely 40% higher on beer. It's almost like a half off sale every time I'm in Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Liquor-wise, I buy rum and tequila (I bought a bottle of Patron that goes for about 50 here for 30 in CT). I'm not well versed on wine prices, but have you looked into Total Wine in Virginia? At the very least they have a huge selection.

Also, I'm a beer nerd and PA's prices are definitely 40% higher on beer. It's almost like a half off sale every time I'm in Jersey.
Beer prices are horrible in PA. Not the best selection either.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
I'm not well versed on wine prices, but have you looked into Total Wine in Virginia? At the very least they have a huge selection.
I think the prices here are supposed to be very good. I know people drive over from Maryland all the time to stock up at Total Wine. Yes, Total Wine is the place to go down here. Great prices, huge variety. I like Angelina Merlot and they sell it here for something like $9.99/bottle if you buy a case. Buffalo Grove Syrah goes for $8/bottle. Just be sure to conceal it to some degree (if you're going to drive all the way to Nova you're going to want to buy at least a case, but it's probably against PA law to bring more than a bottle or two of wine into the state).

Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
It's technically against the law to bring anything back, but AFAIK there isn't too much enforcement. If you bring large quantities across the DE or NJ borders near Philly you might be looking at some trouble. A case all the way from NoVA in your trunk, coming back on the Turnpike, probably not an issue as long as you don't do anything else to draw attention to yourself.

We've brought wine (and cider) back from the Finger Lakes before, and a case of 2 Buck Chuck from Cleveland once a long time ago (actually $3.39 Chuck in Ohio).

Don't have a quantity that makes it look like you're running a bar, restaurant or shop.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:54 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Total wine in claymont, de is literally across the border. You could probably walk from pennsylvania. There cant be too much trouble bringing it back. Its not the only store down there either. And while youre at it why not pick up a tax free laptop and some other items? Moore brothers in jersey also does brisk high end wine biz with pa plates....not to mention the lower end discount liquor stores.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
I've specifically heard of PA cops keeping an eye on that one though (at the Delaware line). Probably not all the time, and maybe not even recently, but it's something to be aware of.

The population of the Pittsburgh metro area is mostly not quite so close to the border, though, and the border states (OH, WV) don't have as compelling a store or price break. So it's not so likely to see specific enforcement over here.

Bringing something back from northern Virginia as was mentioned in the couple of preceding posts wouldn't attract attention by itself, but the place on the Delaware border just might if you are loading a few cases into your car (not so much for a couple bottles, I wouldn't think).

Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
On occasion there is enforcement but its rare and the number of people crossing into delaware and nj is large. The newspapers are full of nj and de stores advertising. De is a small state...they arent making money on delawarians. Remember its not just philly though thats the largest market, but the entire eastern border up through scranton
look at this map and note where total wine is located and where the state line is located
http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4A...ed=0CAQQtgMwAw

total wine is only one store, there are others in de, and many in nj

Last edited by pman; 04-20-2011 at 07:56 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 07:21 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,742 times
All of the recent posts above illustrate why the ridiculous PLCB MUST go . There should be no reason why Pennsylvania citizens need to go through these shenanigans just to purchase wine, beer, and liquor at a fair price.
There is NO defending this half-a--ed little satrapy, and it's disingenuous, small-minded minions.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
This is the thing that really gets me. I enjoy good beers and will just not imbibe if my only choices are Bud-Lite and the such. At the same time I don't need to keep an entire case of beer at my house, especially when that case can cost $40 and up. That leaves getting a six pack from a bottle shop or bar, which is insanely expensive in PA. A recent out of state mix-and-match six pack purchase of regional and Belgian brews cost me $9.00. The same sixer from a bottle shop in Pittsburgh would have been from $17-$22.

I understand the need to collect taxes and alcohol sales can be be good revenue stream. But mark-ups like that are going straight to the distributer and the regional rackets they run in PA.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:29 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
This thread made me look closer at our government controlled liquor and compare it to VA and MD. After shopping at Trader Joes and a few wine stores during my recent visit, I wish the State Stores where a thing of the past. It was a joy to shop for wine and beer in free states instead of PA which is really a communistic approach. Lets see if it will ever open up to a free market idea, but I am not holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh