Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times

Advertisements

Very cheap, reasonably safe, good location, and pretty run down. Sums it up. Good value for the price, but don't expect too much.

I believe it feeds into Shaler schools which aren't the *best* in the area, but are still pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM

408 posts, read 991,763 times
Millvale does have a coffee shop, though it's in a shopping center 1/4 mile outside of the edge of town, on Seavey Rd next to Honda's Pub. It's called Sunrise Coffee or something along those lines. It doesn't quite have a huge selection but you can definitely get a bagel or muffin and some coffee..

Like everyone else said, the poor housing stock is the only thing holding it back. Great schools, shops, river park, concerts, proximity to downtown, etc.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:17 PM

122 posts, read 194,268 times
I wonder if we're actually looking in Milvale then. Its a large single family home on top of a hill on a street of decent looking SFR's. I -think- we got to it by taking babcock off of McKnight, but I've been driving every which way in Pittsburgh over the past couple of days so I could be wrong.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniNoKen View Post
I wonder if we're actually looking in Milvale then. Its a large single family home on top of a hill on a street of decent looking SFR's. I -think- we got to it by taking babcock off of McKnight, but I've been driving every which way in Pittsburgh over the past couple of days so I could be wrong.

Sounds like you are in Shaler, on a street with the Millvale zip code but not Millvale proper.

There is a nice subdivision right off of Babcock near Babcock and Evergreen near a school bus garage.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Yeah, mailing address boundaries aren't the same as the municipal ones. There isn't a ton of difference really whether it's in Millvale Borough or Shaler Township. Different entities to send your municipal taxes to perhaps but all the same school district. Maybe small differences in when your street is plowed when it snows. Also little Reserve Township is next to Millvale, but same thing. I don't think how you're describing on Babcock would be Reserve though.

I suppose there's a small possibility what you're describing is in Ross. That would be different, arguably better school district, etc. If it's a standard real estate listing you can look it up online and that will pretty well confirm where it is. The listings for this area generally note the correct municipality and the school district.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I suppose there's a small possibility what you're describing is in Ross. That would be different, arguably better school district, etc. If it's a standard real estate listing you can look it up online and that will pretty well confirm where it is. The listings for this area generally note the correct municipality and the school district.
It could very well be Ross there.

The friend of mine who moved off Babcock years ago had a stipulation in his divorce that he had to stay in the North Hills SD to maintain joint custody over his children.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times
Doesnt sound like you were really in Millvalle. Regardless, it is a pretty good area. North Hills (Ross) would be considered a llittle more desirable of a school district if that's where it is, but Shaler isn't bad either. I don't think you should be in for any major unpleasant surprises if you liked what you saw. Most of the North Hills is pretty nice for someone looking for a middle class surbuban lifestyle.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Oh hell. I had no idea. My knowledge of Millvale is only the main are (Mr. Smalls and The Attic.)

They could use more busineeses like that there. I went to a show last year and the only place that you can eat at was Subway. They need a few more restaraunts or a coffee shop. that stays open a little later (not talking about the neighborhood bars either.)
Millvale has the only Hardee's in the Pittsburgh area. It closes at 9 on week days.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniNoKen View Post
It sounds to me like it's in Shaler, not Ross, or a more modern residential part of Millvale. There are a couple of nice neighborhoods on the hillside along Babcock between Peoples and Millvale. A portion of the Mt. Alvernia neighborhood is Millvale but the majority of it is Shaler.

As Greg said, it doesn't really matter if it's Millvale, Reserve or Shaler since they are all part of the Shaler School District. You just need to go by appearances to determine if a neighborhood is attractive to you. All parts of Shaler Area School District are safe.

Millvale and Etna are old Mill Towns with older row houses. If you're looking at a neighborhood on the hillside near Millvale that is more of a modern housing development, it doesn't really matter if it's technically Millvale or Shaler.

When people were suggesting that it didn't sound like you were ready for Millvale, that's because Millvale, the town of Millvale, is a condensed housing area with row houses and sidewalks, not the type of neighborhood where children ride bikes in the streets, but there are more modern housing developments on some of the hillsides nearby.

Here's the Shaler Township Street Map: Shaler Township - Shaler Township Maps Online

Here's the Ross Township Street Map: Welcome to Ross Township

Here's the Millvale Street Map: Millvale Pennsylvania Street Map 4249920

Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Millvale has the only Hardee's in the Pittsburgh area. It closes at 9 on week days.
I like Hardee's. Somehow, I always say it is on the way. Even though it is a mile or so off of Route 28. They also bring the food to your table after you order it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh